Player form...

StellarStripes

Im sure we all hoped that keeping the same team together and a year down the line we would have now found a style and play that looked decent. I certainly didnt expect to be seeing dross performances week in, week out.

I don't think we all did no. I think we would assume that keeping the same players would mean the same sorts of performances.

I thought we all lamented a lack of transfer activity to improve the gaping holes in the team and the awful lack of depth and resigned ourselves to another scrappy season.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we all did no. I think we would assume that keeping the same players would mean the same sorts of performances.

I thought we all lamented a lack of transfer activity to improve the gaping holes in the team and the awful lack of depth and resigned ourselves to another scrappy season.

Personally I don't think there are "gaping holes" in the team. Squad yes, but not team. The defence was probably everyone's main gripe and as you point out, regardless of personnel, it has coped fairly well.

As I have said all season it is the balance that is causing us all sorts of problems.

No creativity on the left, over reliance on Ben Arfa and strikers who have no idea where the next chance is coming from looking like headless chickens. All this just leaves a jumbled mess that the front 6 are bumbling around in.

We know 433 with Ba on the left works and we know he won't play there.

We also know that 442 with Jonas as the wide left / winger (whatever you want to call him) lacks any service.

Two problems that Pardew has so far failed to sort in 10 games, soon to be 20 games.

Unpleasant decisions need taking if we are going to change.

As I predicted however, suspensions and injuries will become the scapegoat.

Tbf though CT, as was pointed out when HF and David Kelly were discussing this, Tiote, Colo and Krul have only played about 20-odd minutes together in a league game (Sunderland away). So the gaping holes have been there. That's 3 massive players in very key positions and that will have an effect on how the more creative players are able to do their jobs.

Tbf though CT, as was pointed out when HF and David Kelly were discussing this, Tiote, Colo and Krul have only played about 20-odd minutes together in a league game (Sunderland away). So the gaping holes have been there. That's 3 massive players in very key positions and that will have an effect on how the more creative players are able to do their jobs.

I appreciate that but still think its a less significant factor in the way we've played so far.

As in life it's always the left wingers fucking things up ;)

Tiote and Colo are absolutely key to the way the side plays though from providing a springboard for attacks to retaning possession instead of just hoofing it and so on.

We know 433 with Ba on the left works and we know he won't play there.

We also know that 442 with Jonas as the wide left / winger (whatever you want to call him) lacks any service.

Apart from West Brom away last year, when else has Ba on the left actually worked?

Remember when we tried Best there against Fulham? .com match report...

What on one level looked like total football could alternatively be classified as a glorified schoolboy game, with a formation that ranged from the fluid to the random and saw Best at outside left, Ben Arfa wandering where he wanted and Gutierrez dropping inside.

We conceded 5 of course.

Or remember when we were missing Gutierrez and went with Obertan and your beloved Shane against Spurs?

The second period saw Obertan withdrawn and Shane Ferguson play down the left and although United created very little it wasn't until after the hour mark when Spurs scored again and then looked to inflict further punishment

We conceded 5 of course.

If Pardew is scared to ruffle feathers why did he leave his most expensive signing (up to that point) - Ben Arfa - on the bench for the most of last season until he started getting the performances he wanted out of him?

If Pardew is scared to ruffle feathers why did he leave his most expensive signing (up to that point) - Ben Arfa - on the bench for the most of last season until he started getting the performances he wanted out of him?

Taking your time to reintegrate someone after a long injury is a lot easier than dropping a regular who has consistently given his all.

Selective and random as is your way today it seems.

I asked you when 433 has been that much more effective. I hoped you'd back up your claims with examples.

I try to select games that support or contradict a view. The fact Gutierrez played 37 of 38 games in a season you said at the time was wildly successful makes it difficult to show games where dropping him led to success. the one game he missed we lost 5 nowt. that's not selective and random at all, it's just the facts.

• 1 year later...

Tbh Alex Im not greatly fussed where we finish within reason, Im more pissed off that I think an opportunity to build on last year has been lost and this turgid football will have quite a few of our better footballers, like Cabaye, heading for the exits asap.

Ashley takes a share of the blame on the squad front but Pardew more so as I think he is making us far too over cautious and almost sending us out scared. I feel a braver manager, not gung ho, would have tweaked the team better and leant more towards our skilful attacking strengths.

Hope Im wrong but it looks like the beginning of the end of what "could have been" to me.

Beginning of the end it was indeed :(

"but Pardew more so as I think he is making us far too over cautious and almost sending us out scared. I feel a braver manager, not gung ho, would have tweaked the team better and leant more towards our skilful attacking strengths."

Weren't you blaming the players just last week, CT?

phi_phi_pink_flip_flop_5.jpg