Happy New Year!

Kitman

It used to be 25th March in this country (until the adoption on the Gregorian Calendar). Which marked the Feast of the Annunciation. I remember from history that Russia didn't adopt the Gregorian Calendar until 1918 which I remember being confusing as fuck when studying the two Russian revolutions that took place the preceding year.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It used to be 25th March in this country (until the adoption on the Gregorian Calendar). Which marked the Feast of the Annunciation. I remember from history that Russia didn't adopt the Gregorian Calendar until 1918 which I remember being confusing as fuck when studying the two Russian revolutions that took place the preceding year.

More frightful paganess!!! :o

The date is close to the vernal equinox, as Christmas is to the winter solstice; because of this the Annunciation and Christmas were two of the four "Quarter days" in medieval and early modern England, which marked the divisions of the fiscal year (the other two were Midsummer Day, or the Nativity of St. John the Baptist—June 24—and Michaelmas, the feast day of St. Michael, on September 29).

Aye, I knew it tied in with the vernal (spring) equinox. And when you think about it The Feast of the Annunication is only set as that day because it's nine months before 25th December, which is only Jesus' birthday because it ties in with previous Roman feasts like the birth of Mithras and winter solstice and the like. I don't think there's anything to suggest Jesus was actually born on 25th December anyway.

I think thats spot on...all the major religious festivals have been established to cover earlier pagan rites....ever wondered why bonfire night is close to Hallowean?...large parts of the population still lit fiires in the 17th century to mark the end of the old Celtic year, often two side by side which cattle were then driven between before they were ritually slaughtered for food during the winter months...the Puritans co opted the fire thing so they could perpetuate the persecution of Roman Catholics in England...which, to prove old traditions really do die hard in these islands, went on until quite recently...

Edited by PaddockLad

The Hallowe'en lanterns are a hangover from Samhain as well. It all makes sense anyway though really. That being around the time of the harvest / autumnal equinox and the onset on winter. Then you have a big blowout around yuletide because it's the shortest day and the middle of winter and you need something to celebrate to keep you going. Then obviously the coming of spring is cause for celebration too, etc. I find it quite reassuring these things predate Christianity actually.

Random human skulls have been found at the bottom of ditches on a lot of the ramparts around Iron Age hillforts (they litter almost every peak in the Cheviots) that have been excavated...these were placed on the stockades to ward off evil spirits by the local tribesmen. These are known as "Ghost Fences"

Lanterns are just watered down ghost fences...that makes me happy too :)

Getting off track like but there are ancient burial grounds and cup and ring markings found around the Cheviots / Simonside Hills. Simonside Hill was considered sacred. I love it up there. Julian Cope has a website and book about all that sort of thing.