Best Team

Christmas Tree

Despite the fact that only Cabaye had more assists last season?

He had 7 according to .co.uk last season. This season he has 2 from 13 starts. Marveaux has 4 from 4 starts.

Im not sure what a decent return is for an attacking player in the prem. HF?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Thank you for the Deano-esque diagram :)

Feel free to pick the bones out of it if you wish....thats obviously if Ba leaves, if Ba stays, he starts every time.

You're welcome. Not going to pick fault with it at all. I think we are currently spoiled re midfielders so its interesting to see peoples thoughts etc. For instance we Anita who suddenly seems to have found his premiership feet very quickly but will struggle to get into most peoples first 11.

We also have Marveaux who has there or there abouts been our best player in the last two very creative games, but again wont get in a lot of peoples first 11.

It's shit like this that reminds me CT knows fuck all about football and bases all his decisions on gut instinct.

Marveaux has played a sum total of 1053 minutes for Newcastle's first team, scoring twice and providing three assists. Hatem Ben Arfa has scored 3 and provided 4 assists, this season. He is clearly a better player. Despite this, CT reckons Marveaux should be preferred.

For a moment, take yourself off spout mode.

I have not once said Marveaux should be prefered over Ben Arfa. Both are in my team, HBA in his normal position.

I think that's the rub here like, Even with no injuries, we don't really have the quality in the squad that would mean we can try different personell to any great extent and see much discussion of a "best team".

Debuchy would always start ahead of Simpson.

Colo and Taylor would always start ahead of Williamson.

Santon would always start ahead of Ferguson

Ben Arfa ahead of Marveaux

Tiote/cabaye ahead of Perch/Anita

Ba ahead of Shola

The notion of Marveaux keeping Ben Arfa out of the starting team is preposterous. Coming off the bench for him he could do the job maybe.

Thats the decision Prdew has been bottling all season...he's been trying to keep his top strikers happy, which meant for a long time 442. As a result results have suffered. He's been hampered all season with injuries which in a way made it easy for him to persist with picking two "purples" when only is required for the one role in the team, assuming that it goes without saying that the best formation is 433.

Marveux in front of HBA? :lol: Again, CT on the wind up.

Thats the decision Prdew has been bottling all season...he's been trying to keep his top strikers happy, which meant for a long time 442. As a result results have suffered. He's been hampered all season with injuries which in a way made it easy for him to persist with picking two "purples" when only is required for the one role in the team, assuming that it goes without saying that the best formation is 433.

Marveux in front of HBA? :lol: Again, CT on the wind up.

Oh dear

Please point out where I said that?

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ;)

He had 7 according to .co.uk last season. This season he has 2 from 13 starts. Marveaux has 4 from 4 starts.

Im not sure what a decent return is for an attacking player in the prem. HF?

The sample size for Marveaux isn't large enough at the moment I would say.

With so few starts to his name, sheer enthusiasm will still be a factor carrying him through the games he does get.

The problem I have with HBA (which I'll be mocked for but hey ho), is that you just never know what he is going to do so its very hard for those around him to predict or play too. Of course it will result in a few amazing goals a season, but maybe not as many assists. I think someone like Marveaux would more often look for and find a telling pass.

Oh dear

Please point out where I said that?

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ;)

To be fair, you havent. Youve got both Marveux and HBA in a sort of 3 "inside forward" line along with Demba Ba, the club's leading scorer and the second top scorer in England :lol:

Then you have what appears to be a two man midfield...it would appear to be an approximation of.....well,as far as I can make out and funnily enough it looks to me like Terry Vanables's much-vaunted "Christmas Tree" formation :lol: which hasnt been played in the premier league by anyone....well anyone since TV himself employed it at Boro. For a couple of games. Southgate said the other players couldnt understand it , which is a bit ironic when you think about it....

Edited by PaddockLad

CT is good for the post count on here as there's just so many ways to point out how he is wrong, and as it is the internet there's always a queue of people willing to do so.

Seriously. No offense mate :)

CT is good for the post count on here as there's just so many ways to point out how he is wrong, and as it is the internet there's always a queue of people willing to do so.

Toontastic Poster of the Year 2012 tbh.

Whatever his ills he generates more debate on here than anyone, and he does it largely without repitition/causing offense.

The sample size for Marveaux isn't large enough at the moment I would say.

With so few starts to his name, sheer enthusiasm will still be a factor carrying him through the games he does get.

I was more wondering what was considered a decent number of assists per season from good midfielders.

As for enthusiasm factor, surely that would be the same foe HBA last year?

I hope thats not an attempt to give some credibility to Fish or PL's nonsense. :lol:

Ben Arfa AND Marveaux are in my team. Marveaux is in the middle and HBA is on the right where he usually plays. You could argue Im picking Marveaux over Anita, Jonas or Perch, if you so wish.

To be fair, you havent. Youve got both Marveux and HBA in a sort of 3 "inside forward" line along with Demba Ba, the club's leading scorer and the second top scorer in England :lol:

Then you have what appears to be a two man midfield...it would appear to be an approximation of.....well,as far as I can make out and funnily enough it looks to me like Terry Vanables's much-vaunted "Christmas Tree" formation :lol: which hasnt been played in the premier league by anyone....well anyone since TV himself employed it at Boro. For a couple of games. Southgate said the other players couldnt understand it , which is a bit ironic when you think about it....

Its the same 4231 formation we've been playing in most of our recent games ;)

Krul

Simpson Williamson Coloccini Santon

Tiote Bigi

Cisse Marveaux Obertan

Ba

I just changed the personnel.

Krul

Debuchy Taylor Coloccini Santon

Tiote Cabaye

HBA Marveaux Ba

Cisse

None taken. If you could out one thing Im wrong about in this thread Id be grateful?

I'll wait. :)

I was more wondering what was considered a decent number of assists per season from good midfielders.

Only table I can find is this one which shows Cabaye on 6 ????? Does anyone know if thats right and .co.uk is wrong or a more reliable site?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/assists/_/league/eng.1/year/2011/barclays-premier-league?cc=5739

None taken. If you could out one thing Im wrong about in this thread Id be grateful?

I'll wait. :)

In this instance it's not so much that you're wrong per se, but moreover that you have very little credibility. This extends to discerning footballing ability. You are endowed with a diminutive understanding of football on the basis of never playing it and having had a severely limited exposure (as you admit). Oddly enough depending on the day of the week (??) you'll pop up admitting that you know very little but on others you'll carry on as though yours is the definitive opinion. Nobody knows why.

It would have been, aye. 7 assists in 16 was a better return than his 2 from 13 this term. A drop from almost one in two games to one in six.

I'll do you an overview of the top ten midfielders in the league for assists...

I said you preferred Marveaux.

If you can't read, you can't play. Thems the rules.

But Ben Arfa does not play where I have chosen to play Marveaux.

I have picked Marveaux instead of Jonas, Perch, Anita.

Do you understand the difference?

But Ben Arfa does not play where I have chosen to play Marveaux.

I have picked Marveaux instead of Jonas, Perch, Anita.

Do you understand the difference?

You are truly dense. You prefer Marveaux. Do you understand what "prefer" means?

It would have been, aye. 7 assists in 16 was a better return than his 2 from 13 this term. A drop from almost one in two games to one in six.

I'll do you an overview of the top ten midfielders in the league for assists...

Also the entire team played better, and gauging a player's contribution on stats alone doesn't give the bigger picture. Ben Arfa hasn't provided as many assists so far, but I'd still prefer him to Marveaux, because he is likely to.

You are truly dense. You prefer Marveaux. Do you understand what "prefer" means?

No, you are trying to be clever and failing. Both players are in my team, Ben Arfa playing where he ALWAYS PLAYS.

How does me choosing to play Ben Arfa where he ALWAYS PLAYS mean I know "fuck all about football"?

A simple answer will do :lol: