How do Ashley's other business deals affect us?

The Fish

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[/size]

Going back to this.

On 28/02/2007 - 6 years ago today, we were...

11th in the league - currently 13th

On 36 points - currently 30

13 points clear of relegation - currently 6

In the last 16 of the UEFA cup

out of the domestic cups

...3 months from take-over.

A couple of more league wins and we'll be exactly as we were when he took over. Big moment. Will he move us onwards and upwards, maintain the status quo, or repeat any of his failures.

Thats not allowing for being 5th in May 2012 or relegated in May 09 though

CT's question is wrong. A better question may be "are you daft enough to praise any proprietor of any given football club?" Chez answered that pretty fully iyam. The perception is theyre all cunts regardless of what they do.He's not universally popular but I happen to have a lot of time for SJH because iyam there was no one around at that time who was prepared to give it a go. He's about the only one I'd give time of day to though.

Thats not allowing for being 5th in May 2012 or relegated in May 09 though

Obviously.

Just raising the point of interest, we're in exactly the same situation we were just before he bought us...if a little worse off in terms of league position.

Couldn't have said that at any other point of his ownership.

5th didn't account for the squad depth needed in Europe. Relegation has to take into account the financial mess he was trying to rectify (having contributed to it himself).

Thats nonsense on any qualitative judgement of the situation. Using a static analysis of just basic figures does not give any insights into the relative health of the club. It take no account of external environment, competitive landscape, local macro influences etc. It doesnt pass for analysis tbh.

Thats nonsense on any qualitative judgement of the situation. Using a static analysis of just basic figures does not give any insights into the relative health of the club. It take no account of external environment, competitive landscape, local macro influences etc. It doesnt pass for analysis tbh.

yes it does.

So if 15 clubs had invested $1billion each in the period, that analysis would be what? If we had experienced the strongest period of economic growth in the north east seen in history, how is that accounted for? How does the analysis account for the potential under the previous financial set-up to have spent our way out of trouble in january 2009? Does it include a valuation of the squad? 2 great comparisons of the playing staff might be

Cacapa vs Yanga-Mbwia

Sissoko vs Alan Smith

:lol:

That sort of thing seems to be missing. You cant just compare the league position and say the club has not moved forward. Its nonsense. in the 2007/8 season it was 4 years since we finished in the top 5. In the 2012/13 season it was 1 year since we finished 5th.

So if 15 clubs had invested $1billion each in the period, that analysis would be what? If we had experienced the strongest period of economic growth in the north east seen in history, how is that accounted for? How does the analysis account for the potential under the previous financial set-up to have spent our way out of trouble in january 2009? Does it include a valuation of the squad? 2 great comparisons of the playing staff might be

Cacapa vs Yanga-Mbwia

Sissoko vs Alan Smith

:lol:

That sort of thing seems to be missing. You cant just compare the league position and say the club has not moved forward. Its nonsense. in the 2007/8 season it was 4 years since we finished in the top 5. In the 2012/13 season it was 1 year since we finished 5th.

Do you write that to NUFC.com every time they do "On this Day in...."

Funny how now we're 13th further wider analysis is imperative. When we were 4th ad 5th last year, the table didn't lie.

Sports Direct have just bought Republic and saved over 2000 jobs. The man is a saint.

For now. Mind, he'll only have bought it to trade off the brand until his cost cutting (materials, fabrication, staff etc.) renders it's name worthless. Sound business strategy, but against my personal grain

Do you write that to NUFC.com every time they do "On this Day in...."

Funny how now we're 13th further wider analysis is imperative. When we were 4th ad 5th last year, the table didn't lie.

Its funny how when we were 4th and 5th last year, wider analysis was imperative :razz:

Or if you want to compare league positions, then why select today's position? Why not select the position from the end of October 2011 and compare it to mid 2007? Or why not compare it our position 6 weeks ago? if this is the best way to compare, then which dates are most comparable?

Its funny how when we were 4th and 5th last year, wider analysis was imperative :razz:

I still think it is.

You missed where I said "Just raising the point of interest".

It is a remarkably similar situation to the months leading up to Ashley's purchase.

I've spent plenty of time talking about the financial side though. I've been told in this thread to concentrate on the football side.

Not sure why you point to Alan Smith and Cacapa when they weren't at the club at the point I've compared to? Guess it's because you want to compare to 2009, but then, they weren't first teamers then. 4 appearances each all year.

More accurate would be

Cacapa vs Williamson

|Gosling vs Alan Smith

Or if you want to compare league positions, then why select today's position? Why not select the position from the end of October 2011 and compare it to mid 2007? Or why not compare it our position 6 weeks ago? if this is the best way to compare, then which dates are most comparable?

Because I was impressed how 6 years ago today, we were in almost an identical situation in all competitions...just on the cusp of the club being bought by Ashley.

Today is a relevant moment in time, of interest to us writing about the club....as is the time the club changed hands, in this specific thread, where CT has asked about it.