Technology News

Happy Face

Loved this Slideshow.

http://www.slideshare.net/bge20/2013-05-bea

The drop off in Microsoft's market share is incredible. Seems to me as if we've had internet enabled mobile devices for a generation or so, but Microsoft still had something like 90% of the the connected devices on the planet as recently as March 2009....now it's just 25%.

You're only as good as your latest generation. It all becomes obsolete in 2-4 years.

A combination of the rise of the rivals and the stagnation of Microsoft has clearly meant people have had more appealing options than Microsoft when it came to replacing obsolete kit.

Some drop though!

Not looked at the slides but I assume the massive growth in the segment led to the drop in market share. It's a question of market definition, so Microsoft haven't lost 65% of their business, they have stagnated in an exploding segment.

• 2 weeks later...
"Visa has announced that contactless payments have reached “tipping point”, with 1.5 million contactless bus fare payments made in London since December. One in four of the 26.9 million UK Visa cards now uses contactless technology and use grows by 22 per cent every quarter.

[...]

“We have seen cases of mischarging in just a dozen instances,” explains The UK Cards Association’s head of policy, Richard Koch. “There are 125 NFC transactions every minute, or about 70 million a year, meaning these cases are really few and far between.”

[...]

Some of the problem is lack of consumer awareness. Although contactless payments are on the rise, ePayments software company Compass Plus says its surveys show 40 per cent of British consumers still have no idea about the technology.

[...]

Cash payments are being displaced. The UK Cards Association says the average debit card transaction is £40, while on a contactless card it is £5.50, with many payments of much lower amounts."

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/the-cashfree-challenge-are-contactless-cards-a-safe-way-to-pay-8642245.html

I often pay for stuff less than £20 on my card but never been offered the option of contactless payment.

Either places don't have it or folks serving don't want to ask me if I want to pay contactless. I left Barclays 10 months ago and they had NFC enabled debit cards back then...but Santander still haven't offered me NFC enabled replacements for my debit or credit cards.

I use NFC on my phone for altering settings at work, home, in the car and out and about. Still waiting for the apps to be usable in the UK for paying with my phone though.

I use contactless loads now. Loads of cafes have it here, more and more bars are using it too, although I can see that getting dangerous for me :lol:

The only problem is when the system requests my PIN every 20 or so transactions, because by the time it gets to tap it in, I've got no idea what it is any more :blush:

In an interview with Scott Timberg for Salon, Lanier gives a potent example: Kodak used to have "140,000 really good middle-class employees. Instagram has 13 employees, period." He describes a winner-takes-all world, with a tiny number of successful people and everyone else living on hope. "There is not a middle-class hump. It's an all-or-nothing society."

http://www.guardian....y-work-for-free

Edited by PaddockLad

In an interview with Scott Timberg for Salon, Lanier gives a potent example: Kodak used to have "140,000 really good middle-class employees. Instagram has 13 employees, period." He describes a winner-takes-all world, with a tiny number of successful people and everyone else living on hope. "There is not a middle-class hump. It's an all-or-nothing society."

http://www.guardian....y-work-for-free

Comparing apples and oranges a bit that though innit? Instagram (or Facebook - their owners) make money by selling peoples photos and personal information to advertisers. They're a data mining company primarily.

Kodak sold a product.

Totally agree with the article on the whole like. There should be laws against profit seeking web companies (or any others for that matter) using free (slave) labour.

Why do Macdonalds have a minimum wage imposed upon them but highly skilled web designers (for example) with tens of thousands in university debt have to work for free for a few years in the hope of making it?

Vine available on android

...with zoom...so better than the ios version :)

Only five days after launching on Android, Vine has surpassed Instagram in its total daily shares on Twitter, according to metrics by Topsy. While Instagram's numbers have been fairly flat over the past month, Vine has continued to grow — and there's a good chance that opening the app up to another large segment of the market had an impact on that. On Friday, links to vine.co were shared over 2.5 million times, with instagram.com links hovering just below 2.2 million."

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/8/4409766/vine-surpasses-instagram-sharing-over-twitter