Referees

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22744871

Is this common in rugby? As far as I understand it the IRB have simply decided that the referee did not take strong enough action and have handed down a stronger punishment yet we don't see an uproar about re-refereeing or undermining the referee's authority. So if they can do it in rugby, why not in football?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-union/22744871

Is this common in rugby? As far as I understand it the IRB have simply decided that the referee did not take strong enough action and have handed down a stronger punishment yet we don't see an uproar about re-refereeing or undermining the referee's authority. So if they can do it in rugby, why not in football?

To be fair to the ref he said at the time it would have been a red card had it not been for the occasion (a friendly.)

I played sunday league football and rugby last season and the way people speak to refs in football is an absolute disgrace. I wouldn't speak to people I'd fallen out with in a bar like that, let alone someone who gave up their time on a Sunday for a tenna to ref my pointless game :lol:

I think refs make 'honest' decisions at the top level. It's their jobs to do so.

Whether they are correct decisions is a different matter

What's levelled most of the time is lack of consistency, a free kick early in the game when there aren't many tackles flying around, becomes a yellow card when the game heats up a bit, tackles are flying and the referee needs to calm it down.

It's not consistent, but every situation is different.

I like to try and keep cards to a minimum (not least because of the paperwork), More than 50% of my games last season were card free, I only gave one red (for denying a goal scoring oppo), but some games need stricter control. The refs main job is ensuring the safety of players, sometimes that can be done by player management alone, rather than throwing cards around.