Could the transfer window be on its way out?

Kevin Carr's Gloves

I really enjoy the transfer window, means a team has to prepare for a season (well, half) rather than buying and selling as and when they get an injury etc. I would much prefer it closed a week before the season starts, but from an entertainment side it is great.

I can see where the article is coming from, but if somebody is out of contract then they can sign whenever they please, and if someone is in contract then surely the windows are more than enough time to move on if you really need to

I really enjoy the transfer window, means a team has to prepare for a season (well, half) rather than buying and selling as and when they get an injury etc. I would much prefer it closed a week before the season starts, but from an entertainment side it is great.

I can see where the article is coming from, but if somebody is out of contract then they can sign whenever they please, and if someone is in contract then surely the windows are more than enough time to move on if you really need to

Doesn't matter it does restrict movement as does the playing for x amount of teams in a year. This is specifically forbidden by EU law. Pretty sure football was told this when they started and told if anyone kicked up a fuss then they would be stuffed.

You might think you enjoy it but you don't.

What you're saying is 12 hours of David Craig and Jim White making things up while surrounded by rats is entertaining to you.  An indefensible position to take.

The only good thing about the window just gone is that it proved we dont have the monopoly on sky background fuckwits any more.

I do get the reasons why its wrong i.e. restricted movement, but football is a different world now from the last time there was no window. A squad should be a squad and play together for a season. The likes of Chelski and City will buy players all season long whenever they have an injury, rather than fielding players who are there for backup, too much (money) rides on every result.

Scrapping it could potentially see fee's decrease as teams wouldn't have a deadline to use as ransom for extra cash, but the opposite could also be true as selling teams will know when a player gets an injury and why the club has come calling for a player, and a hike in the fee would no doubt occur.

I do get the reasons why its wrong i.e. restricted movement, but football is a different world now from the last time there was no window. A squad should be a squad and play together for a season. The likes of Chelski and City will buy players all season long whenever they have an injury, rather than fielding players who are there for backup, too much (money) rides on every result.

Scrapping it could potentially see fee's decrease as teams wouldn't have a deadline to use as ransom for extra cash, but the opposite could also be true as selling teams will know when a player gets an injury and why the club has come calling for a player, and a hike in the fee would no doubt occur.

Possibly. However the EU care about absolutely none of that. If it breaks their rules and someone complains then they will get rid of it.

Aye. Only allowing staff to change company for 16 weeks in 52 is not on.

Gareth bale doesn't give a fuck about being tied into his £300k a week conetract. But this poor lad stuck in Iceland is gonna be on the dole for months.

true, they probably will.

What would you propose to replace it - no transfer window at all, or another type of system that could potentially sit in the middle somwhere (no idea what this would be btw)?

I don't know probably no window it was supposed to help provide a level playing field but seems to be failing because of the super rich clubs.

Aye. Only allowing staff to change company for 16 weeks in 52 is not on.

Gareth bale doesn't give a fuck about being tied into his £300k a week conetract. But this poor lad stuck in Iceland is gonna be on the dole for months.

Free transfers can happen any time though.

Does the fact that these players are under contract not mitigate this though? What we're essentially talking about here is the acceptable time period in which to buy and sell contracts; the players wouldn't be at liberty to just move anywhere anyway unless they paid their way out of their contract - if they do that, then presumably they could go wherever they pleased - with or without the transfer window. I think you have to consider that at club level, the players are commodities as much as they are employees.

I have a contract at work tied in to some professional development they offered me, and the gist is that I can't leave for two years unless I want to pay back what the business put in. I would assume that footballers have this option too (albeit paying back what's left of their contract rather than what has been spent).

Does the fact that these players are under contract not mitigate this though? What we're essentially talking about here is the acceptable time period in which to buy and sell contracts; the players wouldn't be at liberty to just move anywhere anyway unless they paid their way out of their contract - if they do that, then presumably they could go wherever they pleased - with or without the transfer window. I think you have to consider that at club level, the players are commodities as much as they are employees.

I have a contract at work tied in to some professional development they offered me, and the gist is that I can't leave for two years unless I want to pay back what the business put in. I would assume that footballers have this option too (albeit paying back what's left of their contract rather than what has been spent).

I would seriously look at your contract unless the company paid for you to go to Uni. Not entirely sure they can hold you to that contract unless they stumped a whole wodge of cash.

I would seriously look at your contract unless the company paid for you to go to Uni. Not entirely sure they can hold you to that contract unless they stumped a whole wodge of cash.

They did to be fair... I paid some and they paid some but it was a pretty expensive course that I couldn't have afforded without them. The payback diminishes in value over the two year period so I could get out for less earlier but I actually appreciate the gesture. You may be right though, I've not looked into it really.