Franny Jeffers

Scottish Mag

From nufc.com

Frannying about?

Some interesting quotes from Charlton boss Alan Curbishley have appeared on the Addicks official website:

"I'm been looking to strengthen all three areas of the team - at the back, in the middle of the park and up front.

If people become available and we've got the funds then we're going to go for it.

"We're not just thinking about now, we're thinking about the future. It's not just the next 20 games we're concerned with, we're also thinking about the summer and if we can progress now with things that we would have tried to do next summer anyway, let's do it now if we can afford it.

"That's what we're doing. If the right players become available we'll get ahead and try to do it.”

"I've got a strong squad, but that's what I was aiming for.

"I've people like Danny Murphy and Alexei Smertin not playing at the moment.

"Obviously not all the players are going to be happy, but we'll have to cross that bridge when we come to it.”

"I've been without most of my strikers for most of the season due to injury, but obviously we can't carry on with eight. We'll have to see what the shake out is.

"They're not all going to be happy and they've got an opportunity with the window now to do something about it.

"I know the wage bill has gone up and that's a big problem to the club but if some players go out during the window it will alleviate that a little bit.”

Curbishley's comments can be seen as possibly giving impetus to the Murphy / Bowyer swap deal that had fallen dormant.

However Charlton's demand for cash and player is causing us considerable problems (and Murphy is currently out with a hamstring pull).

The striker line though is interesting, especially coming on the back of the Ameobi injury, the continuing lack of quality from Luque and the unwillingness of Souness to start with Chopra.

We presume the eight strikers Curbishley was referring to are: The Bents, Francis Jeffers, Kevin Lisbie, Shaun Bartlett, Jonatan Johannson, Jay Bothroyd and Jason Euell.

Of those Euell, Johannson and Jeffers are in the departure lounge and aren't cup -tied, although Lisbie is.

Euell had looked destined from a permanent move to Birmingham but that's now off, while Johansson is being linked with a loan to Millwall.

Jeffers and Euell were both linked to us on permanent deals during Robson's reign.

Scouser Jeffers opted to leave Everton for Arsenal in 2001 rather than move to Tyneside, while Euell is part of the urban myth in which Bobby signed Carl Cort from Wimbledon in 2000 but allegedly thought he was buying fellow Womble forward Euell!

Jeffers has just returned from a loan spell at Rangers where he failed to score in 14 appearances and is out of contract at the end of the current season. Charlton paid £2.6m for him in August 2004.

It's hardly the stuff to get pulses racing, but we seem not to be in a position to set our sights any higher at present.  

Couldn`t score in the SPL and didnt even look SPL standard, not much chance of him scoring the goals we need to keep us up.. :lol:

Franny Jeffers? Sulky little waster. With big ears.

I'd rather eat cold tramps sick than see him in black and white.

82023[/snapback]

Is that sick from a cold tramp, or a tramp's cold sick? We need to know :lol: