The BBC

The Fish

They are very pro-establishment which can annoy both sides. I think the tories see it as a probable defender of the NHS which is why they want to diminish it for their coming war.

Packed with old Tories but run by left wingers....we'll end up with fairness and balance being deregulated in broadcasting and the likes if Sky news morphing completely into Fox News, shovelling mountains of shit down the throats of the ignorant and easily lead.

Not that I know anything about this, but the forum is quite, so fuck it.

It strikes me as strange that the BBC operates with this notion that they present the news with no bias. There's nothing wrong with bias. Are people afraid they will be bamboozled into believing something against their will or something? :lol:

Bias is fine. It's people's inability to think for themselves, or expose themselves to different beliefs. That's the problem.

The BBC equivalent in Australia, the ABC, operates with a heavy left-wing bias but all the traditionally right-wing leaning oldies watch it anyway. What's the big deal? We're so progressive down here. :lol:

Not that I know anything about this, but the forum is quite, so fuck it.

It strikes me as strange that the BBC operates with this notion that they present the news with no bias. There's nothing wrong with bias. Are people afraid they will be bamboozled into believing something against their will or something? :lol:

Bias is fine. It's people's inability to think for themselves, or expose themselves to different beliefs. That's the problem.

The BBC equivalent in Australia, the ABC, operates with a heavy left-wing bias but all the traditionally right-wing leaning oldies watch it anyway. What's the big deal? We're so progressive down here. :lol:

That's the problem. FOX, CNN et al provide confirmation bias which further polarises the country.

News should be that; news. It shouldn't be someone's opinion of the news, or vox pops or demagoguery, just give us the facts and if we want further discussion or dissection we can go research it some more.

If I spent all my life in a Red state I would probably believe that Obama is a muslim, communist, fascist dictator who wants to open the borders, steal my guns and force me to marry a man.

The BBC aren't perfect bastions of truth though - they towed the state propaganda line in their coverage of Orgreave and Hillsborough for example.

Nobody is saying they're perfect. What is?

I've heard the argument that since the BBC is criticised by both the left and right alike, it must be doing a fairly good job in the impartiality stakes.

Am concerned about the Tory attacks though, the right wing media outlets already far outnumber the left.

I think everyone should have the right to express their opinion. Including journalists and news outlets. Although, I obviously don't agree with a controlled and manufactured homogeneous message. I don't consider controlled media or a manufactured message to be synonymous with simple media bias.

Basically, I don't consider media bias and state controlled media to be the same thing, which is what I think your suggesting with the 'red state' stuff.

The problem with media outlets like Fox and the like for me is their audience. Fox presents the views it's viewership wants to hear. It's an echo-chamber, yes, but it has an audience because idiots don't like their ideas challenged. They only want to watch and listen to the expression of opinions they already agree with droned at them incessantly. I don't think you can stop that because the audience will give patron to the outlet that expresses the values they agree with, one way or another.

You're free to disagree because I'm not a commie. :)

I think everyone should have the right to express their opinion. Including journalists and news outlets. Although, I obviously don't agree with a controlled and manufactured homogeneous message. I don't consider controlled media or a manufactured message to be synonymous with simple media bias.

Basically, I don't consider media bias and state controlled media to be the same thing, which is what I think your suggesting with the 'red state' stuff.

The problem with media outlets like Fox and the like for me is their audience. Fox presents the views it's viewership wants to hear. It's an echo-chamber, yes, but it has an audience because idiots don't like their ideas challenged. They only want to watch and listen to the expression of opinions they already agree with droned at them incessantly. I don't think you can stop that because the audience will give patron to the outlet that expresses the values they agree with, one way or another.

You're free to disagree because I'm not a commie. :)

I was meaning that Fox wants to perpetuate a right wing bias in those states because it's the right wing that who provides for them. I think you're giving too much credit to the general public, who will happily lap up whatever bullshit is fed to them. They haven't the will or wherewithal to weigh up the "truth" , if the News says Obama is pushing a homosexual agenda, then by jingo that's fact.

Have both sides of the coin providing a tilted view of events by all means, but call it Opinion, not News.

Ah red state as in Republican. :lol: I was thinking Red state as in communist. Now that part of your comment makes a lot more sense.

:lol:

We were talking about Fox... :(

:lol:

We were talking about Fox... :(

Yeah. I thought you comparing the way they control their message to a state controlled media outlet in China or something. I was giving you too much credit for making a deep analogy. ;)

Back on point though. :lol: I don't think that generally people will watch any old shit. Well they will, by yours or my judgment, but they'll have their reasons for watching it. FWIW I think everyone operates from the basis of a set of 'values' or 'truths' or whatever that they think, are sound judgements about the world. They may be complete bullshit, but I think everyone at least makes an effort. And it's those judgments that guide them towards watching news programs that resonate. Or they're just dumb fucks. I don't know. :lol:

Edited by toonotl

Back on point though. :lol: I don't think that generally people will watch any old shit. Well they will, by yours or my judgment, but they'll have their reasons for watching it. FWIW I think everyone operates from the basis of a set of 'values' or 'truths' or whatever that they think, are sound judgements about the world. They may be complete bullshit, but I think everyone at least makes an effort. And it's those judgments that guide them towards watching news programs that resonate. Or they're just dumb fucks. I don't know. :lol:

Well certainly in my experience, the Republican voting Americans I know get all of their news from Fox and these aren't idiots, these are highly qualified Marine biologists, but there they are, toeing the Fox news line without any time for an opinion that challenges the inaccuracies in Fox news' reporting. e.g. they stated that the BBC were forbidden from using the term "terrorist".

That's why I think a mainstream unbiased source of news is vital. You can have intelligent people holding ridiculous things to be true, simply because they don't realise they're being lied to.

But seriously though, doesn't that speak to the argument that people will watch Fox News because it's the message they already agree with. So if Fox News weren't about or had more balance these guys would find something else to watch.

So it's not Fox News' fault because they are simply providing the service that people want.

I don't see what the worry is with that. People are free to watch and believe what they want. Just as I'm free to ridicule them for it. :lol:

That's why I think a mainstream unbiased source of news is vital. You can have intelligent people holding ridiculous things to be true, simply because they don't realise they're being lied to.

And that's their problem. The government isn't their Nanny. They're adults and they have a right to be as spectacularly wrong as they like.

Also, I'm saying the people that watch Fox News don't want to watch unbiased News. They want to watch Fox News. So they do. Their problem Davey. You noble sod. :) Edited by toonotl

And that's their problem. The government isn't their Nanny. They're adults and they have a right to be as spectacularly wrong as they like.

Also, I'm saying the people that watch Fox News don't want to watch unbiased News. They want to watch Fox News. So they do. Their problem Davey. You noble sod. :)

As I've said, I've no problem people getting spoon-fed opinions from biased outlets, but at least be honest with yourself and call it FOX Opinion, not News. It's like McDonalds trying to tell us they're suddenly a healthy snack. We know you're a fast food shithole, just be honest with yourself, we'll respect you more.

Bleurgh, doesn't matter, the SNP will save us :good:

Sorry but I have to correct toonotl's incorrect statement above.

The only people who think Australia's ABC operates with a left wing bias are the Liberal Party (Australia's Tories), it's supporter and Murdoch's media, who hates them as they are "taking away from his market" - the stupid evil old cunt that he is.

It is impossible now for any media outlet to have neutral bias due to the commercial interests required to generate income, ABC and BBC included because they have commercial arms that add to their coffers.

The best we can hope for and something IMHO both Auntie and the Beeb manage well is a balanced bias from both sides of the argument.

Murdoch has way to much influence on the right wing politics of Britain, The USA and Australia and as long as government owned media exists he will be pushing for those institution to be "privatised."