Football Manager 2018

The Fish

They never do big marketing, also its 2 months til its out...

They did the reveal and some press stuff in the last couple of weeks I think, but they'll ramp it up when they release the beta on pre-orders a few weeks before its out.

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

They never do big marketing, also its 2 months til its out...

They did the reveal and some press stuff in the last couple of weeks I think, but they'll ramp it up when they release the beta on pre-orders a few weeks before its out.

I'm definitely pre-ordering it. 25% off something I'm definitely going to buy anyway? Oh aye, yes please.

fwiw, I think we'll be entirely shite in the new version.

Pre-ordered this today. 

Reckon I'll play as Newcastle Manager until I make them a behemoth. Might do a true career though. Start at some non-league side and see if I can get a top flight job on merit. Y'know, like Tim Sherwood and Paul Ince did.

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2017 at 7:55 AM, The Fish said:

Pre-ordered this today. 

Reckon I'll play as Newcastle Manager until I make them a behemoth. Might do a true career though. Start at some non-league side and see if I can get a top flight job on merit. Y'know, like Tim Sherwood and Paul Ince did.

Did you get it?  Thoughts?  I've stayed away the last few years so I'm curious and thinking of picking it up.

12 hours ago, LooneyToony said:

Did you get it?  Thoughts?  I've stayed away the last few years so I'm curious and thinking of picking it up.

I like it, I like the tweaks with the match engine, the game feels faster, I like the enhancements they've made to the player and press interactions, the dynamics page is very useful too.

• 3 weeks later...

How's everyone getting on then?

Picked this up when I got back off hols and had a few days off before coming back to work.

10th first season, just finished 2nd in the second.

Shelvey was the story of the first season the stupid bastard only played ten games and got 3 red cards, binned off to france that summer since he was a waste of wages.

Signed Cristian Pavon in season two and didn't get a work permit for him, loaned him to Sassuolo where he was second top scorer in serie a and was generally amazing. Got a work permit for him now...

• 3 weeks later...

Started a new game a couple of days ago, last one petered out as I just couldn't push us on so I left and ended up just giving up.

This time though, this will be different.

Finished 5th in season one, won the FA cup. Disappointed though as I had spent most of the season in the top 4 and went on a terrible run to the end of the season only winning one of my last six, finished 5th dropping out of the CL spots on the last day.

Fairly mediocre takeover happened in December (ahem) it just the same as it was before for me, no extra money or whatever.

Summer window I just signed Aron Gunnarsson, I needed options as I'm playing 2 DMs. Winter I signed Domagoj Vida as Lejeune was moaning about not playing so he got binned and I needed a 4th CB.

Ritchie was the star of the season, 7 goals but 20 assists. Perez was actually used by me for once and had a very good time also.

Defensive options this summer have been crap, no one of quality or note available so I've refreshed the attack to be PL quality rather than Championship in the hopes we'll just score fuck tons of goals.

Batshuayi in, Joselu out. Malcom in, no one out (only had 3 wingers, wanted the depth) and Ante Coric in, Diame out. Shelvey and Lejeune also completed permanent moves away.

Rodri is due in next to provide some further depth and quality to those 2 DM spots, Hayden and Gunnarsson are both decent but limited, Merino is quality but finding him a partner has been a bit of a trial.

21 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Started a new game a couple of days ago, last one petered out as I just couldn't push us on so I left and ended up just giving up.

This time though, this will be different.

Finished 5th in season one, won the FA cup. Disappointed though as I had spent most of the season in the top 4 and went on a terrible run to the end of the season only winning one of my last six, finished 5th dropping out of the CL spots on the last day.

Fairly mediocre takeover happened in December (ahem) it just the same as it was before for me, no extra money or whatever.

Summer window I just signed Aron Gunnarsson, I needed options as I'm playing 2 DMs. Winter I signed Domagoj Vida as Lejeune was moaning about not playing so he got binned and I needed a 4th CB.

Ritchie was the star of the season, 7 goals but 20 assists. Perez was actually used by me for once and had a very good time also.

Defensive options this summer have been crap, no one of quality or note available so I've refreshed the attack to be PL quality rather than Championship in the hopes we'll just score fuck tons of goals.

Batshuayi in, Joselu out. Malcom in, no one out (only had 3 wingers, wanted the depth) and Ante Coric in, Diame out. Shelvey and Lejeune also completed permanent moves away.

Rodri is due in next to provide some further depth and quality to those 2 DM spots, Hayden and Gunnarsson are both decent but limited, Merino is quality but finding him a partner has been a bit of a trial.

Christensen was moaning about game time so I managed to get him on loan with a view to buy.

Balanta is still decent and not too expensive.

Driussi, Lautaro Martinez might be available at the end of the second season if you can a) afford them, 2) get a work permit for them.

Ceballos wasn't getting enough game time for his liking in my game, so you might be able to get him on loan too?

I started with a 4-2-3-1

Mitrovic up front, Merino and Hayden in the centre just ahead of the defence, Ritchie and Jairo on the flanks. Almiron in the middle. Dummett Mbemba Lascelles and Yedlin at full back.

When at home I played a high tempo with both wide men tucking in, and the fullbacks overlapping. Mitrovic dropping deeper and Almiron playing as an attacking playmaker.

Away was counter attack, fairly narrow and deep, balls to flanks, and more defensive instructions all around.

Finished 7th in the first season, then I got taken over by Forest's owner; Fawaz Al Hasawi and I had a budget of c£140m. Then I sold a few players who'd played well, for example Man City bought Yedlin for £36m! So I've a very healthy transfer budget.

Going to play Lorenzo Dickman or buy Henrichs or Semedo, I want a proper left back and to buy Driussi, plus another striker.

I want to migrate to a more possession based game, but as it stands my players aren't good enough. If Ceballos, Christensen are moaning about playing time I might try and get them on loan again.

I've been using a 4231

I just realised I forgot a signing, Pedrag Rajkovic is going to be a dead cert for me for most clubs this season I think, 2 million reliable as owt goalkeeper at 21 who typically goes on to be top class.

Last season was...

Rajkovic (GK defend)

Yedlin (fullback attack)

Vida/Clark (Central defender defend)

Lascelles/Mbemba (Central defender defend)

Dummet (fullback attack)

2 DMS

Merino (Segundo Volante support)

Hayden/Gunnarsson (Segundo Volante support)

Ritchie (Inside Forward Support)

Perez (Attacking Midfielder attack)

Atsu (Inside Forward Support)

Mitrovic (deep lying forward support)

4 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I've been using a 4231

I just realised I forgot a signing, Pedrag Rajkovic is going to be a dead cert for me for most clubs this season I think, 2 million reliable as owt goalkeeper at 21 who typically goes on to be top class.

Last season was...

Rajkovic (GK defend)

Yedlin (fullback attack)

Vida/Clark (Central defender defend)

Lascelles/Mbemba (Central defender defend)

Dummet (fullback attack)

2 DMS

Merino (Segundo Volante support)

Hayden/Gunnarsson (Segundo Volante support)

Ritchie (Inside Forward Support)

Perez (Attacking Midfielder attack)

Atsu (Inside Forward Support)

Mitrovic (deep lying forward support)

Pretty similar, but more attacking and yeah I got Rajkovic too. Darlow kept him out though as Predrag kept dropping clangers for me.

Jairo is decent and you can get him for about £5.5m-£7m

• 4 months later...

Its FM touch which is my preferred version these days regardless of the machine its on, less faffing with minutiae and more buy players, do tactics and get going like the older games.

So aye I expect so.

I bought this :D

Much prefer playing it on a handheld to sitting in front of my PC - can play it on the sofa or on my bed, etc. Will be great for air and train travel.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Never touched the...Touch versions but they seem like throwbacks to FM 05-07 types of simulation. Is that right? If so, I know what my next Switch game is going to be considering the regular FM18 is a bloated mess.

Pretty much aye, same engines behind it all so it works properly but a lot less...stuff going on, no team talks or bollocking around with data analysts or training.

I really prefer it to the full version.

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Pretty much aye, same engines behind it all so it works properly but a lot less...stuff going on, no team talks or bollocking around with data analysts or training.

I really prefer it to the full version.

That'll do, cheers. Been looking at giving the Pentagon Challenge a bash and this seems like it has all the leagues and nations needed for it

On 23/04/2018 at 11:27, Andrew said:

I presume you've taken over us?

Yeah. I toyed with the idea of taking a lower league team but I figured I would go for enjoyment first and challenge later. I'm not great at these games anyway - although I can see what you mean about it being stripped back a bit from the full version, which I hugely prefer. I do not miss team talks and the like.

It's tidy enough on the Switch and I've sunk a good few hours into it so far. Club got taken over in the first 3 months and I had a massive £250k added to my transfer kitty :lol: Enough to pay for one whole agent for my next transfer's contract negotiation.

EDIT - was stunned to start with £48m to spend though...

Edited by Rayvin

• 10 months later...

Been playing a few seasons on FM19.

Is this as ridiculous to you lot as it is to me?

DoF.thumb.png.a618e53cdc062c70c127773c8626fbc6.png

I mean, he's promising, but that's mental!Bid.thumb.png.11f11e77910b989927ec9d4fbe1dcabf.png

form.thumb.png.82851ae1de46f676f37aa3494d0ce1fa.png

stats.thumb.png.e471ecc22a8c705917e2c7144ad8b368.png