Jump to content

First Person Shooters


Recommended Posts

I'm thinking about getting into an FPS on the PC.  I had BF1 on the PS4 and liked it a lot so that's top of the pile.  Currently thinking something like:

 

BF1 > PUBG > CS:GO > Overwatch.

 

Ruled out COD WWII because BF1 seems to be getting the better reviews and I was never into all that perks nonsense.  CS:GO might be a tad too involved/tactical for what I expect to be a casual gaming experience and Overwatch I'm just not sure about and there's no demo to check it out.

 

My setup is a decent gaming PC but not top of the line by any means, so I'm slightly concerned about performance though it should easily manage PS4 level performance.  Didn't even realise the consoles had changed from RISC this generation so I guess it really is pretty easy to compare them now.

 

It's ~6 years old now but I've got some mid-level Radeon 4gb graphics card, 32gb RAM, older i7, large SSD.  But it's the graphics card that's going to be the bottleneck for sure.

 

Any recommendations?

 

@Rayvin do you play any of these on PC?

Spoiler

Setting the line at 8.5 replies before someone mentions Jordan Peterson. ;)  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

BF1 I played on PS4 - was enjoyable enough but idk, I prefer my shooters to be story driven campaigns, not just large open ended shoot ups.

 

PUBG I just don't get the long term appeal of, as mentioned elsewhere. Same problem as BF1 for me. Did play a few rounds of it though, and I guess it was good fun while it lasted. Not sure I see it as a shooter though, more a survival game with shooting in it.

 

CS:GO I haven't played but seems to have a huge following and many of the serious gamers who play RL also seem to play this.

 

Overwatch I just can't get into. I don't understand the appeal on any level, weirdly :lol:

 

Destiny 2 is an option on PC now as well btw.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Used to play CS from 1.5 until source, it’s a serious and in depth as you want to make it. Has a steep learning curve but really good fun when you get good at it.

 

disclaimer is I haven’t played cs go but all other versions 

 

im really enjoying cod ww2 on the Xbox but never played it on pc 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks lads.

 

I think I'm now down to BF1 ~ CS:GO though it'll suck if I don't know any PC gamers who play it.  I'm trying to tempt my PS4 mates over to PC (with Rocket League, obviously ;) )

 

BF1 has a free trial anyway for PC so I can check out how it performs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, strawb said:

Used to play CS from 1.5 until source, it’s a serious and in depth as you want to make it. Has a steep learning curve but really good fun when you get good at it.

 

disclaimer is I haven’t played cs go but all other versions 

 

im really enjoying cod ww2 on the Xbox but never played it on pc 

Cheers.  I remember playing CS a very long time ago and really enjoying it. It (the new one) has rave reviews comparative to every other shooter but I suspect it'll be too involved for a casual like me.

 

I just want to shoot shit up now and then, any serious work is going to be put into Rocket League.

 

Are any of these fully cross-platform?  I assume a lot are PC+XBone, but not PS4?

Edited by adios
Link to post
Share on other sites

BF1 runs surprisingly well.  Shame demos don't seem to be a thing with a lot of their competitors.  Suppose I could just get CS:GO on Steam and refund if I don't fancy it after an hour.  Will likely just stick with BF1 though.

 

12-hour download till I can test the multiplayer.  Living in the wilderness sucks sometimes. :lol:  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

:lol:

I played in the Enemy Down League.  It was boss.  We won the league for 2 seasons on the bounce.  Man, them days......

 

aye we were in enemy down premier as well, was funny people took it really serious, and were wound up when we won even matches in that league, other teams would practice and all this shite :lol: our lads literally would send out an email about 4pm "anyone going be home for a match tonight?" if we'd enough we arranged one, just weighed in and shot stuff :lol: 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, adios said:

Is this Fortnite game that @Christmas Tree mentioned worth a go?  I'd forgotten a friend of mine saying that it was better than PUBG even though it's free.

 

everyyyyyyyyone is mad for it, i've not played it yet but kids love it, the lads in work with kids love it etc

does seem good craic

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Ant said:

 

aye we were in enemy down premier as well, was funny people took it really serious, and were wound up when we won even matches in that league, other teams would practice and all this shite :lol: our lads literally would send out an email about 4pm "anyone going be home for a match tonight?" if we'd enough we arranged one, just weighed in and shot stuff :lol: 

Haha exactly. It was there for a laugh. We would go on IRC every night take the piss then jump on the server and have a right laugh. 

 

One lad who joined us was a Swedish kid he's now pro though lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Ant said:

 

everyyyyyyyyone is mad for it, i've not played it yet but kids love it, the lads in work with kids love it etc

does seem good craic

Cheers. :good:  

 

Sounds a bit more of a kids' thing but no harm in downloading and giving it a go.

Link to post
Share on other sites

in fairness i think it's an FPS with no real toxicity in it which is why it's so popular, because of the different modes with having to team up with randoms etc and it's cartoony looks no one is really rage induced playing it :lol: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/03/2018 at 12:38, Ant said:

in fairness i think it's an FPS with no real toxicity in it which is why it's so popular, because of the different modes with having to team up with randoms etc and it's cartoony looks no one is really rage induced playing it :lol: 

 

Been playing it for 24 hours and I’ve never been so rage induced :lol:

 

My tactics of hiding behind a wardrobe in the upstairs of a house and hoping the other 100 players kill each other before finding me is terrorfying. All goes well until I hear someone coming up the stairs and my arse drops out.

 

As a non gamer I love it and the kids are all going to bed early :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...