Life on Mars

geordieshandy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"ridiculous parodies ................... and some god awful acting"

you obviously don't remember 1970's TV then..................

101802[/snapback]

well yeah i do but if i want to watch that i'd stick on UK gold, knaa what i meen lyek? We accepted any old shit back then though and perhaps Ive got higher standards then when i was a nipper!

I thought this was a thread about David Bowie :icon_lol:

102276[/snapback]

Thankfully not.

102280[/snapback]

Surely you jest, Bowie is the king.

102276[/snapback]

Thankfully not.

102280[/snapback]

102417[/snapback]

Bowie was an interesting artist in the early 70s. Still living off that hype I reckon.

102276[/snapback]

Thankfully not.

102280[/snapback]

102417[/snapback]

Bowie was an interesting artist in the early 70s. Still living off that hype I reckon.

102457[/snapback]

To me he is much more than that. He is a very significant influence on a whole host of musicians and bands of music I like. In the main, I like his music for its own sake too. For instance Life on Mars is a classic.

To me he is much more than that. He is a very significant influence on a whole host of musicians and bands of music I like. In the main, I like his music for its own sake too. For instance Life on Mars is a classic.

102468[/snapback]

Conversely, he has never done anything that I find remotely memorable or influential. I don't think I own a single song that he has written/performed with the exception of Under Pressure. In my world of music he just doesn't and never has existed. Each to their own eh? :icon_lol:

102468[/snapback]

Conversely, he has never done anything that I find remotely memorable or influential. I don't think I own a single song that he has written/performed with the exception of Under Pressure. In my world of music he just doesn't and never has existed. Each to their own eh? :icon_lol:

102469[/snapback]

Not sure what music you like, but I bet if you read the biographies of some of the bands you're into you'll find they cite him as an influence. He was a musical genius tbh.

Not sure what music you like, but I bet if you read the biographies of some of the bands you're into you'll find they cite him as an influence. He was a musical genius tbh.

102472[/snapback]

Your opinion. Like I said - each to their own. Even if he did influence some of the bands I like, it doesn't mean I have to automatically like him. Cos I don't :icon_lol:

102472[/snapback]

Your opinion. Like I said - each to their own. Even if he did influence some of the bands I like, it doesn't mean I have to automatically like him. Cos I don't :icon_lol:

102475[/snapback]

Fair enough. I don't like much he's done post 70s tbf, but he's an essential artist to have in anyone's collection - even if you don't like him. :(

Can't get Life on Mars out my head now. Superglamtastic.

..... but he's an essential artist to have in anyone's collection - even if you don't like him. :icon_lol:

102479[/snapback]

I work far too hard and earn too little money to be spending it on the music of artists that I have no intention of ever listening to! :(

..... but he's an essential artist to have in anyone's collection - even if you don't like him. :icon_lol:

102479[/snapback]

I work far too hard and earn too little money to be spending it on the music of artists that I have no intention of ever listening to! :up:

102480[/snapback]

Who said anything about spending money? I have no quibbles about ripping off artists I don't like, especially if I'm never going to listen to them. :(

I only buy music I really like, which I think is fair. Try before you buy.

According to rumour, Renton shares his ambiguous sexuality :icon_lol:

102485[/snapback]

:(

Lies! Although he did look quite "cool"

Also don't forget Bowie made the classic "Hello Newcastle" remark at Roker park. Deserves some kudos for that.

102485[/snapback]

Also don't forget Bowie made the classic "Hello Newcastle" remark at Roker park. Deserves some kudos for that.

102486[/snapback]

But he was a total cunt to John Peel. :up:

102485[/snapback]

102486[/snapback]

102497[/snapback]

Was he? I didn't know that. I'm not supporting anyone who was a cunt to old Peely. :up:

John Peel was a legend like, who else could get away with Bavarian Horn Music followed by obscure techno followed by Swedish death metal on the Beeb?

102485[/snapback]

102486[/snapback]

102497[/snapback]

Was he? I didn't know that. I'm not supporting anyone who was a cunt to old Peely. :up:

102499[/snapback]

Aye. John Peel invested time and money getting Bowie started, who never spoke to him again once he was big.

Same with Marc Bolan, who practically lived with him.

Peel stopped being mates with the bands he pushed after that. As much as he loved The Fall or Undertones, he hardly spoke to them outside of sessions.

Edited by Happy Face

I saw John Peel at Glastonbury, he was doing a segmant for the tele. I did what I do to every celeb I see, the wink and the thumbs up. :icon_lol: He gave me a wave. He didn't look out of place whatsoever and actually looked canny...well...cool.

I saw John Peel at Glastonbury, he was doing a segmant for the tele. I did what I do to every celeb I see, the wink and the thumbs up.  :( He gave me a wave. He didn't look out of place whatsoever and actually looked canny...well...cool.

102561[/snapback]

Saw him DJ-ing at Tribal Gathering, he's no Sasha like :icon_lol: