Health & Safety Question

wykikitoon

I am looking at you @strawb.

I am a a member of a cycle club and in the early days with fewer members it was a lot more fluid.  Now we have 400+ members from what I last heard and the H&S understandably has come in.  The majority is for the good. 

A few years ago we appointed a 'H&S officer'  Someone I don't think is even qualified as a H&S professional like you Srawb.  Last couple of people who have held it have been older riders some with more life experience, but not necessarily riding experience.

During the winter we have two set rides on two set routes to mitigate risk. Sensible IMO.  Last night the committee and H&S person decided to cancel the rides due to the below freezing conditions.  It was forecast to have a 'feel like' -4 (I know that's time to put a jumper on for you but my whippet shivers at that).  All the ride leaders are volunteers and FWIW I would have chosen not to ride last night.

Now my question is.  At what point does a club start wandering into grey area and leaving themselves open?  If a volunteer wants to ride out with a group of people who themselves are not being forced out.  Are we taking away a level of self risk assetsment?  Doesn't that leave the club open if someone falls on a ride because of gravel on a junction that the club didn't point out in their ride risk assements? 

Just get everyone in the club to sign a waiver saying they go out on rides voluntarily and the club bears no responsibility for any damage or injury. 

You can't go on a ride if the club doesn't have your signed waiver. 

And sack this H&S coward immediately. 

• Haha 2

The winter weekday rides are done on set routes due to the added risk of riding in the evening.

The summer and weekend rides all year are on differing routes.  These aren't risk assessed.  They're done by the ride leader.  They're usually on roads that they / we know.  But again the whole rides aren't risk assessed so doing something like cancelling rides due to weather I just think the club are leaving themselves open.

Surely in cases of inclement weather then all the club has to do is announce that the ride is cancelled? Then anyone who choses to do it after that does so at their own risk as the club can't bar them from public roads.

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

Surely in cases of inclement weather then all the club has to do is announce that the ride is cancelled? Then anyone who choses to do it after that does so at their own risk as the club can't bar them from public roads.

It was 3 degrees.  If we cancelled rides at that temp we would only ride 3 times a year.

1 minute ago, strawb said:

Are there any employees or are they volunteers? Do you have a club house or just meet outside and go for a ride and do the club supply any equipment (bikes etc?) 

All volunteers and the club house is a local bar.  We don't rent it.  We do have some loan bikes but these are stored at a local bike shop.  All the rest of the equipment is a riders own.

As there is no employees the HSAW Act doesn’t apply to the club, you don’t have a club house so no Occupiers Liability either. The loan bikes need to serviced regularly, that would be a point of liability if an issue with a loan bike caused a crash for example.

So with regards your question it comes down to common sense, but generally no there is no likelihood of liability in the example you gave. I suggest that if some of you wanted to ride you should have been able to.

• Like 1