Cisse ready to apologise to Newcastle fans

Scottish Mag

LIVERPOOL, England, March 20 (Reuters) - Djibril Cisse is willing to say sorry after taunting Newcastle United supporters following his goal in Liverpool's 3-1 win on Sunday.

The French striker was spoken to by the referee for the hand gestures he made at the crowd in the Premier League game at St James' Park.

"I don't expect the FA to take any action against him," Liverpool coach Rafa Benitez told reporters on Monday.

"We talked after I saw the incident on television and he said he is happy to meet people from Newcastle and say sorry about what he did.

"I think he was under pressure because he had not scored a goal for a long time.

"So when he scored, the reaction he made was almost normal. It was a bad reaction but one made when he was under pressure."

Cisse's goal was his first since scoring against Everton on December 28. The striker is now in line to take part in Tuesday's FA Cup quarter-final against Birmingham City.

Birmingham are in the relegation zone, three points behind fourth from bottom West Bromwich Albion with a game in hand.

"Their priority will be the league," Benitez said. "They will be thinking about the league for sure."

What did it say on his vest?

108436[/snapback]

Something about his new born child. Nothing offensive or anything like that

108441[/snapback]

'Sorry for beating your mam up' or something like that.

There was no need for him to have a go at the crowd like he did... but if it's just that he got caught up the moment and is acknoledging that now, then no problem.

I'd rather see stuff like that everyweek rather than Robben or Drogba antics.

He'll be in a Newcastle shirt next season so he's apologising now tbh.

108472[/snapback]

Just like Owen has played his last game for NUFC iirc?

I never had a problem with Cisse, the only problem i had with was the gutless prick that is Mike Riley.

Under the rules Riley knew fine well he had to give him a second yellow and send him off but unlike with us when he literally couldn't wait to get a red out, because it was a pool player he did fick all because thats the kind of ref he is.

But in terms of players actions, i'm generally of the opinion that football fans like to dish it out, but when players give any back (sometimes even just jokingly) the fans go crying to steward, police and newspapers and act like complete tarts.

I never had a problem with Cisse, the only problem i had with was the gutless prick that is Mike Riley.

Under the rules Riley knew fine well he had to give him a second yellow and send him off but unlike with us when he literally couldn't wait to get a red out, because it was a pool player he did fick all because thats the kind of ref he is.

But in terms of players actions, i'm generally of the opinion that football fans like to dish it out, but when players give any back (sometimes even just jokingly) the fans go crying to steward, police and newspapers and act like complete tarts.

108695[/snapback]

Agreed. I admit it wound me up at the time but that was mainly as you say because Riley bottled it. But at the end of the day, all this whining about Cisse and what a naughty boy he was is a bit daft IMO.

Wasn't Riley going to book another player too? Hamann iirc, only to realise he'd already booked him. As has been said elsewhere, it didn't affect the result, but he was shocking.

108695[/snapback]

Agreed. I admit it wound me up at the time but that was mainly as you say because Riley bottled it. But at the end of the day, all this whining about Cisse and what a naughty boy he was is a bit daft IMO.

108699[/snapback]

Yeah, i've no doubt if i was at that end of the ground at the time i'd have been telling him to fuck off, but when i sa down i'd ackowledge he didn't do much at all, and i'd turn my anger towards calling Riley every name under the sun.

Obviously if a player takes it too far and is bordering on genuine dangerous crowd incitement, or does something really offensive they can be punished but sometimes the fans overreact to embarassing levels.

Wasn't Riley going to book another player too? Hamann iirc, only to realise he'd already booked him. As has been said elsewhere, it didn't affect the result, but he was shocking.

108702[/snapback]

Aye, he ran over, put his hand in his pocket, realised who it was and withdrew his hand. Absolutely pathetic. It's that sort of thing that he should be getting hauled in front of a panel for. I really hope he makes a fool of himself in front of an audience of millions at the World Cup.

108702[/snapback]

He spent 90 mins basing decisions on which team were involved in the incident as he does in every game, the man is a disgrace.

Whilst over 90 mins Liverpool did the job required and our defence made sure they got 3 goals people who say Riley didn't influcence the game have a strange view on what a refree is as he is the only person on that pitch who is involved in every incident.

Many refs would have left it at just a pen and not a red, debating whether he was last man, and he certianly would have done that for Pool. Many refs would have sent off Cisse as he commited 2 yellow offences, making it 10 vs 10. Many refs would have dished out a few more yellows to Pool players instead of letting them get away with it because he's up the arse of the top teams. And many refs would have given Shearer the freekick on the edge of the box at 1-0 which lead to us going 2-0 down instead.

The fact is even if Riley had an excellent game we could still have lost and maybe by even more, who knows, but he influcenced the game throughout with his decisions.

108702[/snapback]

Aye, he ran over, put his hand in his pocket, realised who it was and withdrew his hand. Absolutely pathetic. It's that sort of thing that he should be getting hauled in front of a panel for. I really hope he makes a fool of himself in front of an audience of millions at the World Cup.

108712[/snapback]

Aye, that's what I'm on about, 2nd half. I was 'none too chuffed' at that decision :lol:

108472[/snapback]

108584[/snapback]

Correct. Cisse + cash.

108472[/snapback]

108584[/snapback]

Correct. Cisse + cash.

108743[/snapback]

So Owen will never play for us again? We'll see I suppose.