Do you feel sorry for Shearer?

Asprilla

Do you feel sorry for Shearer?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's the fans I feel sorry for, not Shearer - thoosands go here, there and everywhere with little to shout about yet still get behind the lads. These people (the fans) are making sacrifices that make me shudder.

I heard Moncur on Century last night saying how sorry he was for Shearer, 'no service etc etc'.  I don't agree.  Because Shearer is so slow the attacking play often peters out due to lack of someone in the box to take any decent pass.

Shearer is, and will always be, a legend in my eyes but has been well rewarded for his time here.

109518[/snapback]

Aye, the no service thing is no longer a valid argument for me. It's missing the point that there is often no point in hitting a good early cross into the box as he isn't there to get on the end of it. His lack of movement is part of the team's problem.

its been like that for a couple of seasons though alex. Ive been saying it for ages, yet its still the same excuse "its not his fault"  "he's not getting any service". Excuses excuses

109529[/snapback]

So have I in all honesty, you can't say that though :lol:

It's the fans I feel sorry for, not Shearer - thoosands go here, there and everywhere with little to shout about yet still get behind the lads. These people (the fans) are making sacrifices that make me shudder.

I heard Moncur on Century last night saying how sorry he was for Shearer, 'no service etc etc'.  I don't agree.  Because Shearer is so slow the attacking play often peters out due to lack of someone in the box to take any decent pass.

Shearer is, and will always be, a legend in my eyes but has been well rewarded for his time here.

109518[/snapback]

Aye, the no service thing is no longer a valid argument for me. It's missing the point that there is often no point in hitting a good early cross into the box as he isn't there to get on the end of it. His lack of movement is part of the team's problem.

109525[/snapback]

This is becoming increasingly apparent, I agree. It's a shame, because technically I still think he's one of our best players, he's just lost his pace. That's why I have advocated dropping him into the midfield or even defence for a long time.

Not just his pace now though. He'll always have great technique but he gets outmuscled more than he ever used to and his movement / workrate is embarrassing at times now.

It's one of the reasons Shola gets so much stick as well. Aye, Shola is never going to be good enough, but I think he gets a shit load of stick at games because people are frustrated with how poor Shearer has become but too scared to say it. Tin hat on.

It's one of the reasons Shola gets so much stick as well. Aye, Shola is never going to be good enough, but I think he gets a shit load of stick at games because people are frustrated with how poor Shearer has become but too scared to say it. Tin hat on.

109538[/snapback]

Hmmm, not sure that makes sense. I think Shola gets stick because he's not good enough - especially in the air and his first touch. Surely if Shearer is so shit he should compare favourably and shine? Blaming Shearer for Ameobi's crapness is daft imo.

One thing I think will be interesting is how we are going to cope next year without Shearer. Unless we break the bank (again) and get a world-class replacement in (that's on top of Owen), I think some people are going to be very unpleasently surprised.

I agree SLP. I don't think people blame Shearer for Shola's shitness (I don't think that's what you meant tbh) but although Shola's not good enough, neither is Shearer now. If Shearer makes the same mistake in a match nothing is said but Shola gets howls of derision. Now, I know that is because of what Shearer has done for the club, but I think that sort of sentimentality or ignoring what is staring you in the face isn't particularly healthy in the quest for success. If he'd gone to Man Utd. for example, do you think he'd have the influence he has at Newcastle or that he'd still be getting a game?

I agree SLP. I don't think people blame Shearer for Shola's shitness (I don't think that's what you meant tbh) but although Shola's not good enough, neither is Shearer now. If Shearer makes the same mistake in a match nothing is said but Shola gets howls of derision. Now, I know that is because of what Shearer has done for the club, but I think that sort of sentimentality or ignoring what is staring you in the face isn't particularly healthy in the quest for success. If he'd gone to Man Utd. for example, do you think he'd have the influence he has at Newcastle or that he'd still be getting a game?

109547[/snapback]

I can agree with that Alex, Shearer is living on his past reputation and I always thought he should have retired last year. However, there is now only 8 games left for him to play (which probably aren't even important), so these concerns will sonn be in the past.

Edit: whereas my concerns about Ameobi are for the future.

Edited by Renton

One thing I think will be interesting is how we are going to cope next year without Shearer. Unless we break the bank (again) and get a world-class replacement in (that's on top of Owen), I think some people are going to be very unpleasently surprised.

109541[/snapback]

Considering how bad he's been for the past couple of seasons I can only see any half decent replacement being a huge improvement.

109541[/snapback]

Considering how bad he's been for the past couple of seasons I can only see any half decent replacement being a huge improvement.

109560[/snapback]

Thing is, I would admit that Shearer has been exceptionally poor the last three games (against outstanding opposition), but I think people are forgetting about the contribution he makes when he is on song, even this year. We'll see, but remember I'm usually right about these things. :lol: You don't always know what you've got 'til it's gone as the song goes.

He's been gash most of this year in my opinion.

109564[/snapback]

He would play better with Owen, or dare I say it, Bellamy :lol: . Anyway, I hope you're right as what you're saying is we van only improve without him. I don't think you are though.

He's been gash most of this year in my opinion.

109564[/snapback]

He would play better with Owen, or dare I say it, Bellamy :lol: . Anyway, I hope you're right as what you're saying is we van only improve without him. I don't think you are though.

109588[/snapback]

So would Shola in my opinion, doesn't mean he's good enough either.

sad truth is if wed had owen playing for us instead of shearer yesterday wed probably still be in the cup. all i can remember him doing for the whole 90mins is snapping terry in his own box.

109595[/snapback]

They were cruising. If we'd had Owen, they'd have stepped up. We were never going to win yesterday.

sad truth is if wed had owen playing for us instead of shearer yesterday wed probably still be in the cup. all i can remember him doing for the whole 90mins is snapping terry in his own box.

109595[/snapback]

They were cruising. If we'd had Owen, they'd have stepped up. We were never going to win yesterday.

109602[/snapback]

Agreed. They knew they could play at 70 or 80% and still keep us at arms length.