Norman Kember

Ugly Mackems

TBH I wouldn't send ANYONE to save someone who volunteers to go and risk their lives in downtown Baghdad

It's their choice after all

Mrs T's "robust" reaction to IRA hunger strikers soon saw that off as a tactic

110878[/snapback]

blimey.

Spot on.

The naive ones are the people who accept the shite in the likes of the Mail as gospel tbh.

110838[/snapback]

You will have to tell those of us who don't read the Daily Mail what is in it Alex.

As for naive, IMO its reserved in cases like this for people who believe terrorists, and other citizens of other countries sometimes, whether we go to their country or they come to ours, play by boy scout rules.

TBH I wouldn't send ANYONE to save someone who volunteers to go and risk their lives in downtown Baghdad

110878[/snapback]

blimey.

Spot on.

111064[/snapback]

I beleive you are responsible for your actions if they are taken by informed people - I 'd stop folk suing when they do somehing obviously dangerous and then suing when it all goes tits up..................

110878[/snapback]

Does that include soldiers, like?

Agree with you about Thatcher.

Soldiers volunteer to serve anywhere the Govt decides to send them

I have no time for people who join up and then complain they are being put in the firing line

Not really the question I asked, if a soldier volunteers to serve and ends up a hostage in downtown Baghdad, would you still not want to rescue them?

Not really the question I asked, if a soldier volunteers to serve and ends up a hostage in downtown Baghdad, would you still not want to rescue them?

111244[/snapback]

The army then have a responsibility to get it's people back.

111244[/snapback]

111263[/snapback]

Agreed

111263[/snapback]

I agree with that. They're both going voluntarily into potentially dangerous situations, for one it might just be a job, but in most cases they both believe they're doing the right thing, should we only back the ones who are doing the government sanctioned right thing?

I'm not saying I disagree with Rob in this instance, but I think his sweeping generalisation is flawed.

The naive ones are the people who accept the shite in the likes of the Mail as gospel tbh.

110838[/snapback]

You will have to tell those of us who don't read the Daily Mail what is in it Alex.

As for naive, IMO its reserved in cases like this for people who believe terrorists, and other citizens of other countries sometimes, whether we go to their country or they come to ours, play by boy scout rules.

111067[/snapback]

Kember is a brave bloke with strong priciples in my view but he is also stupid for going and I agree with what Rob said, re: not risking resources on people who have made the choice to go and do this sort of thing. The people who took this story at face value were also being naive in my view. I.e. assuming Kember wasn't grateful for being rescued when he hadn't even had a chance to issue a statement (he wasn't even back in the country at the time). You could argue that he only made the statement once he was villified in the press but I doubt if a bloke who is willing to risk his life for what he believes is a just cause is bothered about a few poxy tabloids.

Kember is a brave bloke with strong priciples in my view but he is also stupid for going and I agree with what Rob said, re: not risking resources on people who have made the choice to go and do this sort of thing. The people who took this story at face value were also being naive in my view. I.e. assuming Kember wasn't grateful for being rescued when he hadn't even had a chance to issue a statement (he wasn't even back in the country at the time). You could argue that he only made the statement once he was villified in the press but I doubt if a bloke who is willing to risk his life for what he believes is a just cause is bothered about a few poxy tabloids.

111571[/snapback]

Bookmarks thread © Sima

:o

You've lost me tbh, it is early like (-ish) :o

111580[/snapback]

I think the suggestion that Kember was brave, strongly principled bloke with a just cause is worth a 5 page rant, I wait with baited breath.

You've lost me tbh, it is early like (-ish) :o

111580[/snapback]

I think the suggestion that Kember was brave, strongly principled bloke with a just cause is worth a 5 page rant, I wait with baited breath.

111589[/snapback]

:o I assumed I'd made some unforgivable grammatical error.

Moi?  A pedant? :o

Only to wind up our resident technical writer, you misspelled 'blatant' this morning Rent Boy! :o

111594[/snapback]

Christ blubbered!

I'm not a proof editor you know! Are you? :o :o