Stuart Pearce

Howaythetoon

What is it that makes him so special in the eyes of so many? I can't see nowt at this stage of his career that says "good manager" - or - "bags of potential".

He was left a pretty decent squad by KK that had in many ways overachieved, a team with a solid enough defence and a decent enough midfield - although with limited attacking options.

Furthermore he has inherited arguably the best youth-setup in the country along with Middlesbrough's.

And for me, City are a poor team and haven't performed well at all this season in the main, not when you consider what Bolton, Wigan and West Ham have achieved.

Yet you would think Pearce was some kind of super-manager in the making.

I don't want to knock the man because I like him and I do think he could go onto make a half decent manager, but howay, talk of England, Newcastle...

If we were to appoint an "unknown quantity" like Pearce, I'd far rather have Pardew who has impressed me a great deal since he took over at West Ham, he's done an amazing job and is a much better manager than Pearce at this stage of their careers.

Certainly Stuart shows great potential, but I'll reserve judgement until I've seen him over achieve, he hasn't made his own team, he hasn't won promotion against all odds, he's maintained Man City's success rather than created it himself, I'm a big fan of Pearce, he shows the spirit that all of us would want to see in a manager of both our club and nation.

Far too jumpy/too much nervous excitement etc etc to convince me he's got the potential everyone seems to think. Just makes me think a lot of it is a mix of boundless energy and pot luck.

The blues love him though.

Don't get it.

It's not even as if he's had one tremendous season ala Moyes or Burley then fallen from grace.

He's just done nowt. One average season. Whoo. :lol: One point above us and we've had a disaster.

Edited by Wullie

He gives honest, good value interviews, he's English and he hasn't fucked up yet at Citeh so the press love him. Just wait though.

Far too jumpy/too much nervous excitement etc etc to convince me he's got the potential everyone seems to think. Just makes me think a lot of it is a mix of boundless energy and pot luck.

The blues love him though.

112522[/snapback]

That's kind of what I think, I think his passion and touchline excitement takes away focus from the more pertinent questions like is he tactically astute etc.

I've not seen anything that suggests he's tactically switched on, West Ham don't pay too much attention to tactics but Pardew put one over on Pearce in the Cup in that sense.

He has been very fortunate at City, taking over a club whose fans were wanting to see some passion and commitment from their team after the final months of KK's reign went a bit flat for them with players like Anelka pissing off and he did take over a fairly experienced Premiership side.

Like Jimbo said, he hasn't exactly improved City, he's just maintained the course they were on under KK.

Mind, I'm being harsh as this is his first real season as a manager so it's too early to judge I guess but whenever I see his name linked with England and more worryingly, our club, I despair.

It's the kind of appointment you feel would actually go down well with some fans *cough Craig* :lol:

the only reason he's being touted as england manager is because he's the antithesis of eriksson.

112531[/snapback]

I think labelling Pearce "fucking brilliant" is a tad generous.

He gives honest, good value interviews, he's English and he hasn't fucked up yet at Citeh so the press love him. Just wait though.

112525[/snapback]

Exactly. No-one would talk about him if he wasn't English. He's done nothing this season to justify the hype.

Having said that, it's not Pearce's fault that he gets hyped up by the media. I've always liked him as a player and he seems like a good bloke, but the praise he receives is over the top.

The thing is that ManShitty started brightly into the season. Though as ever it was only early days and the performances quickly became mediocre again. But as Pearce is a canny bloke nobody wants to backpaddle and so the press insist with their early stance that Pearce is doing an incredible job.

the only reason he's being touted as england manager is because he's the antithesis of eriksson.

112531[/snapback]

I think labelling Pearce "fucking brilliant" is a tad generous.

112534[/snapback]

:lol:

touche