David Brent soundboard

Craig

Character-driven pieces don't work with one-dimensional characters.

123578[/snapback]

How is David Brent one-dimensional? He's: a chilled-out entertainer; a philosopher-poet; a singer/song-writer; a philanthropist; and the father of one big happy family!

Can you give me an example of how it's predictable?

Are you saying that a parody accentuating a person's most obvious flaw does not work?

123589[/snapback]

You're wasting your time man. The real problem is as follows: the absence of a laughter track or a big Friends-esque sign saying "HERE COMES THE PUNCHLINE" meant that he had to work out for himself where the jokes were, and it ruined it for him. :lol:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

123578[/snapback]

How is David Brent one-dimensional? He's: a chilled-out entertainer; a philosopher-poet; a singer/song-writer; a philanthropist; and the father of one big happy family!

Are you saying that a parody accentuating a person's most obvious flaw does not work?

123589[/snapback]

I'm saying that within the first five minutes of an episode I can tell how every character is going to react and what is going to happen. It's fine to have a transparent plot if the characters can pull it off and make you satisfied for knowing what's going to happen, but they couldn't and they don't.

123578[/snapback]

123589[/snapback]

You're wasting your time man. The real problem is as follows: the absence of a laughter track or a big Friends-esque sign saying "HERE COMES THE PUNCHLINE" meant that he had to work out for himself where the jokes were, and it ruined it for him. :lol:

123593[/snapback]

You're becoming very dull, Gemmill. I'm beginning to see certain others' point(s) regarding you.

Edited by Zathras

I'm saying that within the first five minutes of an episode I can tell how every character is going to react and what is going to happen.  It's fine to have a transparent plot if the characters can pull it off and make you satisfied for knowing what's going to happen, but they couldn't and they don't.

123598[/snapback]

I think you've just described Matlock tbh.

Isn't the whole point of sending up obvious character flaws, that they're obvious? Would you be willing to accept the possibility that this just went over your head?

123578[/snapback]

123589[/snapback]

123593[/snapback]

You're becoming very dull, Gemmill. I'm beginning to see certain others' point(s) regarding you.

123600[/snapback]

Overreact much? What points would those be then?

Isn't the whole point of sending up obvious character flaws, that they're obvious? 

123604[/snapback]

I thought the point was to be funny?

Would you be willing to accept the possibility that this just went over your head?

123604[/snapback]

No.

123578[/snapback]

123589[/snapback]

123593[/snapback]

123600[/snapback]

123605[/snapback]

Not overreacting, simply finding it true in this instance that you keep making the same joke without anything new added. Usually you at least add something to it each time.

To be honest, you either like it or you don't. Not much point in arguing either way. I love it and when it was first on, I used to watch it then watch the repeat (on Sunday I think). The first time I watched it I used to cringe as it was so like people and places I'd worked in/with in the past it was painful to watch. The repeats would make me laugh a lot more.

123578[/snapback]

123589[/snapback]

123593[/snapback]

123600[/snapback]

123605[/snapback]

Not overreacting, simply finding it true in this instance that you keep making the same joke without anything new added. Usually you at least add something to it each time.

123610[/snapback]

But Zathras, the only joke you've made on here in the last 6-12 months is about British dental care. Again and again :icon_lol:

123578[/snapback]

123589[/snapback]

123593[/snapback]

123600[/snapback]

123605[/snapback]

123610[/snapback]

But Zathras, the only joke you've made on here in the last 6-12 months is about British dental care. Again and again :angry:

123615[/snapback]

(At least in my mind) the joke changed after the first instance to be that fact. :icon_lol:

Edited by Zathras

You come across like a humourless, arrogant ... individual tbh.

123612[/snapback]

Not humorloess; just don't share your sense of humor. Arrogant, I can't deny. I'm American. :lol:

To be honest, you either like it or you don't. Not much point in arguing either way. I love it and when it was first on, I used to watch it then watch the repeat (on Sunday I think). The first time I watched it I used to cringe as it was so like people and places I'd worked in/with in the past it was painful to watch. The repeats would make me laugh a lot more.

123614[/snapback]

Perhaps I've just not had the same experiences? Although I did find Office Space amusing.

You come across like a humourless, arrogant ... individual tbh.

123612[/snapback]

Not humorloess; just don't share your sense of humor. Arrogant, I can't deny. I'm American. :lol:

123623[/snapback]

I thought Office Space was fantastic, so we do have the same sense of humour; ha, that's you telt.

But until you see 9-11 as the funniest shit since Princess Di, I just don't think we'll be on the same wave-length tbh.

But until you see 9-11 as the funniest shit since Princess Di, I just don't think we'll be on the same wave-length tbh.

123627[/snapback]

Talking of Ricky Gervais (and Princess Di), has anyone seen his Simpsons? Canny shit apart from Homer describing CSI and the song for Marge

Lady when you go away

I feel like I could die

Not like dye like your hair is dyed

But die like Lady Di

And not like Di like her name is Di

But die like when she died

But lady just like Lady Di

Be my princess tonight

But don't die

Don't die, nooowee

:lol:

Edited by Happy Face

123578[/snapback]

123589[/snapback]

123593[/snapback]

123600[/snapback]

123605[/snapback]

123610[/snapback]

I'd say it was a slight overreaction tbh. I liked you best when you were the cossack dancing American bloke that planned to marry every lass he went out with within two minutes of meeting them. Any chance of you going back to that?

123578[/snapback]

123589[/snapback]

123593[/snapback]

123600[/snapback]

123605[/snapback]

123610[/snapback]

I'd say it was a slight overreaction tbh. I liked you best when you were the cossack dancing American bloke that planned to marry every lass he went out with within two minutes of meeting them. Any chance of you going back to that?

123637[/snapback]

'fraid not; the knees have gone. :icon_lol:

BTW, Gemmill, I feel I should mention that there is a non-zero chance of my making a trip out to the U.K. in November. I hope it happens; it'll be my first since 2002.... if I make it, I will ice my knees sufficiently to collect on the pint you will owe me when I czardas for you.

I reckon the cringworthy aspect of the office is the "Britishness" Alex alluded to.

The Office was the master of this, and Brent in particular. You can barely watch these bits out the corner of your eye, he's so embarassing:

The Dance

Pissed at nightclub (how real was that?)

The motivational speech

"Sacking" Dawn as a joke

Getting sacked and begging for his job

The talking telephone

The Corrs etc.....

Brilliant stuff. Oh and the dates on the christmas episode (including the blind date) are worth mentioning.

I reckon the cringworthy aspect of the office is the "Britishness" Alex alluded to.

The Office was the master of this, and Brent in particular. You can barely watch these bits out the corner of your eye, he's so embarassing:

The Dance

The motivational speech

"Sacking" Dawn as a joke

The talking telephone

The Corrs etc.....

Brilliant stuff. Oh and the dates on the christmas episode (including the blind date) are worth mentioning.

123677[/snapback]

Him and finchy at the quiz night was proper cringewrothy, especially when they "won" after Finchy threw Tim's shoe over the building.

The Dance

The motivational speech

"Sacking" Dawn as a joke

The talking telephone

The Corrs etc.....

123677[/snapback]

Him and finchy at the quiz night was proper cringewrothy, especially when they "won" after Finchy threw Tim's shoe over the building.

123703[/snapback]

Finchy's character is based on Smooth-Operator - FACT.

123703[/snapback]

With him doing the guitar sound effects and going on about the "Slough crew, born to run" or whatever? Jesus Wept!

The Dance

The motivational speech

"Sacking" Dawn as a joke

The talking telephone

The Corrs etc.....

123677[/snapback]

123703[/snapback]

Finchy's character is based on Smooth-Operator - FACT.

123708[/snapback]

“Give me half hour with her I’d be up to me nuts in guts.”