Manager - for what it's worth I don't really care

Toonpack

To be honest, to be fair, to be truthful,

I am totally unmoved one way or another about who the new manager, pseudo manager, coach, Director of Football or tea lady will be.

Was this an opportunity to scour the globe for the “best” man for the job, absolutely it was, BUT given what Roeder (and his team) has done in the last 3 months we’re sort of in a damned if you do, damned if you don’t scenario.

Roeder’s brief was to stabilise the ship and for fucks sake KEEP US UP, he’s done that with interest, shit we’re in real danger of finishing 7th.

And that in itself has created the problem

SO what do we do, the relative success of Roeder has created a “who follows Alex Fergusontwat” in microcosm, IF someone else is appointed they’d better start bloody well because it’s not often a new manager has a reasonably successful team in form-ish to pick up, usually the only way is up.

And some of us are frighteningly fickle

Just supposing when Souness was sacked we’d immediately appointed O’Neill or Hitzfeld and they’d produced the same results as Roeder et al have, how would you grade them ???? I certainly don’t think we’d be looking at next season with trepidation and having all this wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I do have reservations about Roeder (subbing Nobby at the smogs which was totally the wrong thing to do and second half against WBA) but non of these reservations are based upon his past record of sackings etc. Shit that experience and his illness may just have been his epiphany moment. He could be the English Sir Alex, he is good with the kids (oh er missus).

On the other hand he could crash and burn big-style, but then again so could anyone else, and if he does he’ll be fired and we’ll move on.

This decision is a real tricky one, you wouldn’t sack a manager with Roeder’s current record that said there are some cracking names allegedly available.

Is he the best candidate?? On paper definitely not, but on current results possibly.

Can he attract big name players – irrelevant IMO, £££kerching£££ attracts players and no matter who the manager is we’re picking up the crumbs from the big 4 unless we grow our own.

Personally I’m past caring, I’m not convinced Jesus could work the miracle at this club, and I’ve seen a few alledged messiah’s in my time.

Lets just get it sorted and see what happens on the pitch At the end of the day tbh, tbf, tbt Does it matter ????? there’ll still be an NUFC and we’ll be shit or we’ll be good, life’s like that.

Shit that was a long post for me !!!!!!!

I can't really argue with the stuff about Roeder. It's Shepherd's handling of the whole thing that's annoying me, and the spectre of Shearer still looming over things. This was a real chance for a new beginning. Maybe we'll get it under Roeder, but I'm pretty sure it's just a convoluted way of lining up Lord Alan.

Guest alex

The trouble is with Roeder it's a massive gamble. We've got no idea how he might perform when players fall out with him, when results go against him, how he'll do in the transfer market etc. Assuming he isn't just holding the fort until Shearer fancies it anyway.

I can't really argue with the stuff about Roeder.  It's Shepherd's handling of the whole thing that's annoying me, and the spectre of Shearer still looming over things.  This was a real chance for a new beginning.  Maybe we'll get it under Roeder, but I'm pretty sure it's just a convoluted way of lining up Lord Alan.

131907[/snapback]

If the rumour circulating that O'Neill turned us down because there was no guarantee that Shearer wouldn't be involved has any substance, then quite frankly it's a fucking disgrace.

:D

I can't really argue with the stuff about Roeder.  It's Shepherd's handling of the whole thing that's annoying me, and the spectre of Shearer still looming over things.  This was a real chance for a new beginning.  Maybe we'll get it under Roeder, but I'm pretty sure it's just a convoluted way of lining up Lord Alan.

131907[/snapback]

Oh I agree, this one is TOTALLY on Shepherd (as Souness should have been) and who's to say Shearer hasn't been an integral part of the "resurgence" (to strong a word admittedly).

IF they are keeping the seat warm for Shearer, that's totally wrong BUT if he buggers off for 12 months and we keep performing, moving Roeder on then will be as difficult as it is now.

The trouble is with Roeder it's a massive gamble. We've got no idea how he might perform when players fall out with him, when results go against him, how he'll do in the transfer market etc. Assuming he isn't just holding the fort until Shearer fancies it anyway.

131909[/snapback]

Is it really any more of a gamble than anyone else???

After all we've seen him operate for 3 months (which you could say reduces the gamble) and there's been no fall-out that we've seen publicly and we did lose 4 on the bounce and then started winning again with a patched up team, and NO whinging about luck or injuries.

131907[/snapback]

If the rumour circulating that O'Neill turned us down because there was no guarantee that Shearer wouldn't be involved has any substance, then quite frankly it's a fucking disgrace.

:D

131913[/snapback]

indeed.Surely the club couldn't become that ridiculous...then again how manytimes has that thought come up only to be confirmed...

This whole thing has been the last straw for me concerning Sheperd... always backed him until now, but this club is shambolicaly ridiculous at times. It talks a great game, has all the marketing gimmicks, but never any actions...makes me quite sick.

Guest alex

131909[/snapback]

After all we've seen him operate for 3 months (which you could say reduces the gamble) and there's been no fall-out that we've seen publicly and we did lose 4 on the bounce and then started winning again with a patched up team, and NO whinging about luck or injuries.

131917[/snapback]

More of a gamble than a top-drawer manager, yes. What Roeder's done reminds me of what Chris Coleman did at Fulham. Would you take him here? I'm not totally against Roeder by the way. I think we could do a lot worse. What I don't want is him being in place while Shearer decides if/when he wants to take over because Shearer would be an even bigger risk due to his total lack of experience. Incidentally (I know everybody spouts this bollocks btw) I heard from a good source with insider knowledge that Shearer's involvement on the coaching side under Roeder has been non-existent (as it was while Souness was manager, despite his supposedly having a coaching role this season). So I wouldn't necessarily assume he's had much to do with the recent revival in form.

131909[/snapback]

131917[/snapback]

More of a gamble than a top-drawer manager, yes. What Roeder's done reminds me of what Chris Coleman did at Fulham. Would you take him here? I'm not totally against Roeder by the way. I think we could do a lot worse. What I don't want is him being in place while Shearer decides if/when he wants to take over because Shearer would be an even bigger risk due to his total lack of experience. Incidentally (I know everybody spouts this bollocks btw) I heard from a good source with insider knowledge that Shearer's involvement on the coaching side under Roeder has been non-existent (as it was while Souness was manager, despite his supposedly having a coaching role this season). So I wouldn't necessarily assume he's had much to do with the recent revival in form.

131936[/snapback]

Fair do's

I am not a Roeder-ite or an anti Roeder-ite

I'm having a "what will be, will be" moment and maybe just maybe, we may have got better by luck rather than good judgement

Then again maybe we haven't

Right back to sitting on my fence

I am SOOO scarred by this darn club, I think I'm punch-drunk and this post said absolutely nothing :D

131907[/snapback]

I agree with that. Roeder has done well enough, and I wouldn't mind seeing him stay on as coach, manager or director of football alongside a proven name (Houllier?). It's Shepherd's continued obsession with Shearer that's spoiling it - it will be Souness all over again with Roeder keeping the seat warm for Shearer. It just doesn't feel like a fresh start.

It's also an extremely sad indictment of Shepherd's ability that all he can come up with after three months is another version of his twisted obsession with Geordies. If he genuinely thinks the club is one of the top 8 clubs in Europe, then why doesn't he run it like one? Do Barcelona employ Catalans only? Is Benitez a Scouser? Does everyone connected with Bayern have to wear lederhosen?

It will be worse if Boro get O'Neill.

Like most I am just totally pissed off with the way the club is being run rather than the appointment (if it does actually go through).

I've said before Roder wouldn't have been considered for the job in the begining but because we've had no plan in place he's pretty much ended up as first choice be default. We now seem to have no plan in place as to how we are going to get Roder permission to get the job other than 'go on man he's done it before and he's a nice bloke who was poorly!'. Add to that the ongoing saga with Shearer and we just look totally micky mouse as usual.

Guest alex

Actually, the last few appointments have a similar theme:

Daglish goes with no plan in place (at a guess) but we get Gullit because of 1) our pulling power then & 2) he was available immediately.

Gullit goes and we got Robson (it was lucky he was available) and he did well but I doubt it was planned at all.

Robson goes and we get Souness, again thanks to no contigency plan being in place.

Souness goes and it looks like Shepherd has taken the easy option and gone for Roeder.

Now I know that Leazes would argue (with justification) that the bad starts to the season that led to Daglish, Robson and Gullit going could not have been envisaged. However, Daglish went far too early into the season and this was as much (in my view) down to the breakdown of his working relationship with the chairman as the poor results. Gullit had to go, little argument there. You could argue whether Robson had to go or not (I would have waited until the end of the season) and you can also argue whether or not he should have gone the summer before. Either way, Shepherd had already decided that he was away the following summer so replacements should have been sounded out or considered at the very least. I don’t think this was the case though. In other words, Shepherd doesn't learn from his mistakes.

Edited by alex

Like most I am just totally pissed off with the way the club is being run rather than the appointment (if it does actually go through).

I've said before Roder wouldn't have been considered for the job in the begining but because we've had no plan in place he's pretty much ended up as first choice be default.  We now seem to have no plan in place as to how we are going to get Roder permission to get the job other than 'go on man he's done it before and he's a nice bloke who was poorly!'.  Add to that the ongoing saga with Shearer and we just look totally micky mouse as usual.

132180[/snapback]

I can't totally agree with that, I think he's become first choice because of the results, plan in place or not, if we'd continued to be shite I don't think he'd be in the frame now

Of course I'm not saying Roder would have become first choice if he hadn't done well (well I assume even the fat man wouldn't be that thick) but he wouldn't be even considered if he wasn't already there.