If a ton of feathers landed on your head...

FFS.

THe question stated that the treadmill would ALWAYS match the wheel speed.

so no forward motion.

135624[/snapback]

Doesn't matter. The force is moving the plane, not the wheels.

135628[/snapback]

So therefore WHAT is moving the wheels ????????

When I'm off on holibobs next week I'm gonna be pretty upset if the plane moves but leaves it's wheels behind !!!!!!

135631[/snapback]

Friction causes the wheels to spin. If the wheels were locked in place and you put the engines on full, the plane would scrape along the ground without spinning the wheels.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FFS.

so no forward motion.

135624[/snapback]

135628[/snapback]

The force is transmitted through the wheels where there is an equally sized opposite force from the treadmill. hence no motion.

To use your bloke on rollerskates analogy. They are at steady state (rollerskates going matching treadmill speed hence no motion). Then you give him a push and extra momentum hence the speed of his wheels increases. The question stated that this increase would be matched by an increase in treadmill speed hence no forward motion.

135632[/snapback]

So you're saying I couldn't extend my arms and move the skater forward? what force is stopping me like?

FFS.

so no forward motion.

135624[/snapback]

135628[/snapback]

So therefore WHAT is moving the wheels ????????

When I'm off on holibobs next week I'm gonna be pretty upset if the plane moves but leaves it's wheels behind !!!!!!

135631[/snapback]

Friction causes the wheels to spin. If the wheels were locked in place and you put the engines on full, the plane would scrape along the ground without spinning the wheels.

135633[/snapback]

No it wouldn't the plane would fall off the back of the treadmill or rip itself from it's undercarraige, equally upsetting for passengers IMO

Edited by Toonpack

FFS.

so no forward motion.

135624[/snapback]

135628[/snapback]

The force is transmitted through the wheels where there is an equally sized opposite force from the treadmill. hence no motion.

To use your bloke on rollerskates analogy. They are at steady state (rollerskates going matching treadmill speed hence no motion). Then you give him a push and extra momentum hence the speed of his wheels increases. The question stated that this increase would be matched by an increase in treadmill speed hence no forward motion.

135632[/snapback]

So you're saying I couldn't extend my arms and move the skater forward? what force is stopping me like?

135634[/snapback]

The speed of the skaters wheels is always matched by the speed of the treadmill. Any force you apply to him, the treadmill immediately counteracts. so if you got in a car tied a rope around him and drove off he still wouldnt move (assuming no mechanical failures and the only way for him to move is via his wheels as is the case in a plane on a runway) as while his wheels are going crazy fast, the treadmill is going crazy fast in the other direction.

Heres an Ocelow for the rest of you, dont think this is quite the same tigon and liger mind...

ocelow2mr.gif

FFS.

so no forward motion.

135624[/snapback]

135628[/snapback]

135632[/snapback]

135634[/snapback]

The speed of the skaters wheels is always matched by the speed of the treadmill. Any force you apply to him, the treadmill immediately counteracts. so if you got in a car tied a rope around him and drove off he still wouldnt move (assuming no mechanical failures and the only way for him to move is via his wheels as is the case in a plane on a runway) as while his wheels are going crazy fast, the treadmill is going crazy fast in the other direction.

Heres an Ocelow for the rest of you, dont think this is quite the same tigon and liger mind...

ocelow2mr.gif

135639[/snapback]

I think that's a moot point

:icon_lol:

So the car would be held back, wheels spinning and producing plumes of smoke? Held back by a lad on rollerskates?

;)

;)

So the car would be held back, wheels spinning and producing plumes of smoke? Held back by a lad on rollerskates?

135667[/snapback]

yep thats 100% correct. the rollerskater on treadmill becomes in effect the unmovable object. The whole thing couldn't happen in real life, but under the logic of the question thats what happens.