Is it worth risking the nick for

bobbyshinton

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also think you have to earn money to appreciate it.

173465[/snapback]

I agree in the main but - I've won money and appreciated it more in a way. Your earnings go straight into the bank and you don't really see them whereas on the odd occasion I've fleeced the bookies I've probably felt better about that money than I would otherwise. I appreciate gifts too which are sometimes money/vouchers and in those circumstances I tend to buy something I wouldn't normally buy, as a treat. Also, do you reckon people who have their lives improved by charitable donations are unappreciative?

173489[/snapback]

If you're generally working for your money, you'll appreciate anyh money that comes in, but if you've got a lot and don't have to work for it, it all ceases to have any real value. I also think people quickly forget how hard they once worked for it once they've got it; they stop appreciating what other people are going through etc.

173494[/snapback]

That's what I meant and no I wasn't on a wind-up Gemmill you dick wad!

Why is Shearer happier in all likelihood than Dyer? One reason would be I'm sure because he has earned his money and had some impact on the world. I concede I may be talking bollocks like.

173506[/snapback]

There's a difference between being able to fully appreciate the value of money and being able to enjoy being loaded tbh. If someone handed me £10m tomorrow, I'm sure I'd lose sight of the value of money and spend uncontrollably for a while, but I'd enjoy doing it.

I'd gladly take my chances with a lottery win to test your theory.

I reckon if you won the lottery you'd stretch to a new pen to write your medical stuff with and maybe upgrade the car you've got to one with leather seats. And you'd get a new bathroom suite. That would be the extent of the change to your life. :)

173465[/snapback]

I agree in the main but - I've won money and appreciated it more in a way. Your earnings go straight into the bank and you don't really see them whereas on the odd occasion I've fleeced the bookies I've probably felt better about that money than I would otherwise. I appreciate gifts too which are sometimes money/vouchers and in those circumstances I tend to buy something I wouldn't normally buy, as a treat. Also, do you reckon people who have their lives improved by charitable donations are unappreciative?

173489[/snapback]

If you're generally working for your money, you'll appreciate anyh money that comes in, but if you've got a lot and don't have to work for it, it all ceases to have any real value. I also think people quickly forget how hard they once worked for it once they've got it; they stop appreciating what other people are going through etc.

173494[/snapback]

Why is Shearer happier in all likelihood than Dyer? One reason would be I'm sure because he has earned his money and had some impact on the world. I concede I may be talking bollocks like.

173506[/snapback]

There's a difference between being able to fully appreciate the value of money and being able to enjoy being loaded tbh. If someone handed me £10m tomorrow, I'm sure I'd lose sight of the value of money and spend uncontrollably for a while, but I'd enjoy doing it.

I reckon if you won the lottery you'd stretch to a new pen to write your medical stuff with and maybe upgrade the car you've got to one with leather seats. And you'd get a new bathroom suite. That would be the extent of the change to your life. :)

173517[/snapback]

Not much chance of me winning the lottery as I boycott the idiot tax. I like luxuries in my life as much as you, and I'd get the house etc. But I'd have to have some focus. And my main point is, money does not necessarily equate to happiness, quite the contrary in fact, which has been shown time and time again. For instance, why is the UK one of the wealthiest nations in the world and also one of the most miserable?

Not much chance of me winning the lottery as I boycott the idiot tax. I like luxuries in my life as much as you, and I'd get the house etc. But I'd have to have some focus. And my main point is, money does not necessarily equate to happiness, quite the contrary in fact, which has been shown time and time again. For instance, why is the UK one of the wealthiest nations in the world and also one of the most miserable?

173560[/snapback]

You'd all be miserable regardless of economic climate tbf. :)

173465[/snapback]

173489[/snapback]

173494[/snapback]

173506[/snapback]

173517[/snapback]

173560[/snapback]

Your presence here has to be significantly raising the average miserableness level. :razz: The weather doesn't help here - although we do moan whether it's hot or cold, I suppose. The US is richer than us though, and I consider them a happier nation than us. Perhaps that's because they're more money-focussed though. I dunno. I still reckon winning the lotter would change my life significantly for the better though.

I don't think the UK is one of the most miserable countries in the world, that's total bollocks imo. People moan more about trivial stuff when they haven't got more pressing concerns like where your next meal is coming from though. Human nature.

Regards the US, ignorance = bliss tbh.

173569[/snapback]

For people that are supposed to be happy, they've got a bargain bucket full of hatred.

I don't think the UK is one of the most miserable countries in the world, that's total bollocks imo. People moan more about trivial stuff when they haven't got more pressing concerns like where your next meal is coming from though. Human nature.

173567[/snapback]

I disagree. The standard of life here is high, the quality of life is low. As was pointed out in a recent study I seem to remember. Are we happier than 30 years ago despite being twice as prosperous? I doubt it.

173569[/snapback]

For people that are supposed to be happy, they've got a bargain bucket full of hatred.

173571[/snapback]

Not your average yank on the street, I don't think.

173567[/snapback]

I disagree. The standard of life here is high, the quality of life is low. As was pointed out in a recent study I seem to remember. Are we happier than 30 years ago despite being twice as prosperous? I doubt it.

173572[/snapback]

you say potayto, I say potahto

you say attractive, I say aesthetically pleasing.

tbh

173569[/snapback]

173571[/snapback]

173576[/snapback]

You do know the average yank is not some gay hippy form San Francisco I hope.

173572[/snapback]

It's probably pretty similar to Ireland, yes, there's plenty of money in the country, but living costs are sky high and people are over-worked. Weather definitely makes a difference too.

173569[/snapback]

173571[/snapback]

173576[/snapback]

173579[/snapback]

Yes you tit! Just like I know the average Brit is not some gay stripey cat from Tynemouth.

173572[/snapback]

It's probably pretty similar to Ireland, yes, there's plenty of money in the country, but living costs are sky high and people are over-worked. Weather definitely makes a difference too.

173580[/snapback]

I work for a Dutch company, and I discovered today they get 48 days holiday per year over there. That would definitely make me happier!

173569[/snapback]

173571[/snapback]

173576[/snapback]

173579[/snapback]

Yes you tit! Just like I know the average Brit is not some gay stripey cat from Tynemouth.

173581[/snapback]

Which is a shame, admittedly.

Edited by Renton

173572[/snapback]

173580[/snapback]

I work for a Dutch company, and I discovered today they get 48 days holiday per year over there. That would definitely make me happier!

173582[/snapback]

I agree with that like. More holidays = :) .

Mine are shit.

173572[/snapback]

173580[/snapback]

173582[/snapback]

Mine are shit.

173584[/snapback]

I get 25 days plus bank holidays. What you getting? Loved it at PwC where I got time off in lieu for overtime. Used to end up with about 10 weeks holidays a year. That stopped as soon as I qualified though. :razz:

173576[/snapback]

I don't agree, like, I think the US serves as a warning to where we're all headed. I haven't been there since 1999, and I've said I won't set foot back there unless things change a lot. We just had friends over from the States, very representiative of upper middle class US, no reason to be unhappy with their lot. Fucking shocking opinions on things outside the US, and well "educated" too. I was very nice to them while they were here, but I told the girlfriend they weren't welcome back, and I'm not that intolerant.

There's plenty of good ones in the US, I've always thought it was a land of extremes, for every bad one there's an equally good one, but they do do stupidity like no one else on Earth. I don't think that's by birth, though, they're farmed that way.

173567[/snapback]

173572[/snapback]

Yes, the 'old days' were fucking shit despite rumours to the contrary. Ask Rob :)

173576[/snapback]

I don't agree, like, I think the US serves as a warning to where we're all headed. I haven't been there since 1999, and I've said I won't set foot back there unless things change a lot. We just had friends over from the States, very representiative of upper middle class US, no reason to be unhappy with their lot. Fucking shocking opinions on things outside the US, and well "educated" too. I was very nice to them while they were here, but I told the girlfriend they weren't welcome back, and I'm not that intolerant.

There's plenty of good ones in the US, I've always thought it was a land of extremes, for every bad one there's an equally good one, but they do do stupidity like no one else on Earth. I don't think that's by birth, though, they're farmed that way.

173590[/snapback]

How on earth did they manage to offend a man of your morals so severely as to be unwelcome in your house? :)

173572[/snapback]

173580[/snapback]

173582[/snapback]

Mine are shit.

173584[/snapback]

I get 25 days plus bank holidays. What you getting? Loved it at PwC where I got time off in lieu for overtime. Used to end up with about 10 weeks holidays a year. That stopped as soon as I qualified though. :razz:

173588[/snapback]

I get 27, but the rules has changed and this now doesn't include a mandatory 3 day break over Christmas! Robbing bassas.

Mind, I can work from home as much as I like within reason....