bastard Dell Bastard computers

The Fish

If you get a decent spec one, aye.  Although quite why you would want to run all that at the same time...  ;)  If you do get a mac, I've got Microsoft Office for it, so gis a shout. :)

176396[/snapback]

was thinking about getting a Mac for work-type stuff and using the PC for messing about with, games, music and videos and the like

Li3nz, it sounds like you don't want a mac for perfectly legitimate reasons.  So......don't get one.

176403[/snapback]

I certainly will not. Especially when I can get a PC that can do MORE for LESS (money). ;)

yup, get a PC then download a nice shiny new theme and skin for it to get that nice Mac feel. 500 notes saved and compatible with much more software and hardware.

Saying that, I would have one like, theres no comparison when it comes to design work.

*Edit: Oh and do I assume me offer of a power supply wasnt needed? ;)

yup, get a PC then download a nice shiny new theme and skin for it to get that nice Mac feel. 500 notes saved and compatible with much more software and hardware.

Saying that, I would have one like, theres no comparison when it comes to design work.

*Edit: Oh and do I assume me offer of a power supply wasnt needed?  ;)

176419[/snapback]

I thought I replied saying that I appreciate the offer but I'd need it permanent like, and that I wasn't even sure if it's the power pack that's buggered or it's the laptop power-port itself.

just checked the thread, no I didn't.

sorry mate must have had one of those brain farts.

like I say cheers for the offer, but it might not actually be a problem with the ac adaptor, it could be the port on the laptop itself.

I've always fancied a Mac for using with various music programs because of the superior performance but I've got a good-as-new Dell refurb that does all the basics with good performance and it cost me £300. I find it hard to justify the outlay.

That said, I've had a couple of bluescreens of late.....

Dell recalls 4m laptop batteries 

Nobody is thought to have been injured by one of the batteries

The world's largest manufacturer of personal computers, Dell, is to recall 4.1 million of its notebook computer batteries because of a fire risk.

Most batteries are in computers sold in the United States but more than 1m are believed to be outside the US.

Dell says it knows of six instances since December when the batteries, made by Sony, overheated or caught fire.

The US body responsible for consumer safety says it is the biggest recall of electrical products in its history.

A spokesman for the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Scott Wolfson, said users of affected laptops should only run the machines on a power cord.

'Rare cases'

The Sony lithium-ion batteries were placed in laptops shipped between April 2004 and July 2006.

They were included in some models of Dell's Latitude, Inspiron, XTS and precision mobile workstation notebooks.

"In rare cases, a short-circuit could cause the battery to overheat, causing a risk of smoke and or fire," said Dell spokesman Ira Williams.

"It happens in rare cases but we opted to take this broad action immediately."

Dell has already launched a website (www.dellbatteryprogram.com) telling customers how to get a free replacement battery.

No injuries have been linked to Dell laptops with defective batteries, the company was quoted as saying by Reuters news agency.

The CPSC has identified 339 incidents in which lithium batteries used in laptops and cell phones - not just Dell products - overheated between 2003 and 2005.

Some incidents involved minor skin burns or actual injuries as well as property damage, Mr Wolfson said.

I`ve got a spare power supply for sale at my shop. Failing that you can get them on ebay. If its not the power supply and its a fault inside sell the laptop on ebay for spares and repairs. They are expensive to fix. Its only worth getting it fixed if the laptop is quite new. In parts you will get about £100 for the screen, money for the battery, ram , HD, CD/dvd drive etc.