Bombs on planes - overrated threat?

Rob W

to be fair most of the security services are just underpaid civil servants - they're not ALL super IQ types

178713[/snapback]

Well, as you made them in your own image, I suppose you would know.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

to be fair most of the security services are just underpaid civil servants - they're not ALL super IQ types

178713[/snapback]

To be fair, feel free to answer the question I asked you in your own time. You can use 'Flight' if that helps.

Given that bombs on planes are overrated threats, I wonder if Rob would like to share with us what threats we should be taking seriously. Perhaps he could throw in some underrated threats while he's at it.

Given that bombs on planes are overrated threats, I wonder if Rob would like to share with us what threats we should be taking seriously.  Perhaps he could throw in some underrated threats while he's at it.

178723[/snapback]

I think he'll point out he never said the threat was overrated at this point, rather he alluded to the possibility.

Given that bombs on planes are overrated threats, I wonder if Rob would like to share with us what threats we should be taking seriously.  Perhaps he could throw in some underrated threats while he's at it.

178723[/snapback]

I think he'll point out he never said the threat was overrated at this point, rather he alluded to the possibility.

178725[/snapback]

Ahhh, the :lol: mock indignation :razz: phase. That means this thread is almost at an end.

178723[/snapback]

178725[/snapback]

As I've said elsewhere till we deal with the causes of terrorism this will become a long and depressing war on our minds and liberties. A resourceful group of terrorists can attack us in so many ways the mind boggles.

178723[/snapback]

178725[/snapback]

As I've said elsewhere till we deal with the causes of terrorism this will become a long and depressing war on our minds and liberties. A resourceful group of terrorists can attack us in so many ways the mind boggles.

178730[/snapback]

I agree in the main, not sure why you quoted the above though :lol:

178723[/snapback]

178725[/snapback]

178730[/snapback]

I agree in the main, not sure why you quoted the above though :lol:

178734[/snapback]

As my dismal quoting performances elswhere are a testament, I have no clue with these buttons. :razz:

178713[/snapback]

To be fair, feel free to answer the question I asked you in your own time. You can use 'Flight' if that helps.

178721[/snapback]

or wallow in your ignorance I suppose

178713[/snapback]

178721[/snapback]

or wallow in your ignorance I suppose

178894[/snapback]

Can't answer then? Ok :lol:

178723[/snapback]

Stupidity, a willingness to believe owt the popular press or the govt say, ignorance, inability to read and understand

all these are IMMINENT THREATS to humanity

178723[/snapback]

Stupidity, a willingness to believe owt the popular press or the govt say, ignorance, inability to read and understand

178897[/snapback]

Are those definitions actually correct? I don't think so.

178723[/snapback]

178897[/snapback]

Presumably the popular press is to be believed when you use Google and find an article that backs up a view in a debate in which you are trying to present yourself as an expert though.

No one on here has any idea how great the threat was tbh.

178142[/snapback]

Halex, you can use this argument for perhaps every debate on here. Get off yer high horse. :huff:

178666[/snapback]

Meanwhile you and Rob project the myth you know exactly what's going on :razz:

178672[/snapback]

The thing is clearly there is a threat, no one is denying that and I know enough about Mi5 to state without hesitation they are about the best there is. What pisses me off is the hulabaloo that surrounds these situations and the hysteria whipped up by the media and people starting to believe all sorts of nonsense which Bliar and his gang pounce on to make political capital or use as distractions to the real issues at hand which get buried. Zat is all mein freund. "One day a great rain will come and wash......." :razz:

178676[/snapback]

Are you having a laugh?

If you have any nexus with MI5 whatsoever then theres no way you'd come out with a statement like that. Alternatively, if you dont have any nexus with MI5 then you'd have no idea what their intelligence was.

178693[/snapback]

What's a Nexus like? :lol:

178697[/snapback]

I would say give Rob a break. What he has posted is authoritive and factual. I do think though it is a small peice of the detail required to make a proper judgement.

178142[/snapback]

Halex, you can use this argument for perhaps every debate on here. Get off yer high horse. <_<

178666[/snapback]

Meanwhile you and Rob project the myth you know exactly what's going on :razz:

178672[/snapback]

The thing is clearly there is a threat, no one is denying that and I know enough about Mi5 to state without hesitation they are about the best there is. What pisses me off is the hulabaloo that surrounds these situations and the hysteria whipped up by the media and people starting to believe all sorts of nonsense which Bliar and his gang pounce on to make political capital or use as distractions to the real issues at hand which get buried. Zat is all mein freund. "One day a great rain will come and wash......." :huff:

178676[/snapback]

Are you having a laugh?

If you have any nexus with MI5 whatsoever then theres no way you'd come out with a statement like that. Alternatively, if you dont have any nexus with MI5 then you'd have no idea what their intelligence was.

178693[/snapback]

What's a Nexus like? :lol:

178697[/snapback]

I would say give Rob a break. What he has posted is authoritive and factual. I do think though it is a small peice of the detail required to make a proper judgement.

178909[/snapback]

I don't have a problem with Rob promoting debate - it's much needed. It's the way he presents himself as an expert on virtually EVERYTHING and has been EVERYWHERE - twice - that I think gets up peoples' noses.

I'm aspiring to be the next RobW admittedly. :razz:

178142[/snapback]

Halex, you can use this argument for perhaps every debate on here. Get off yer high horse. :icon_lol:

178666[/snapback]

Meanwhile you and Rob project the myth you know exactly what's going on :huff:

178672[/snapback]

The thing is clearly there is a threat, no one is denying that and I know enough about Mi5 to state without hesitation they are about the best there is. What pisses me off is the hulabaloo that surrounds these situations and the hysteria whipped up by the media and people starting to believe all sorts of nonsense which Bliar and his gang pounce on to make political capital or use as distractions to the real issues at hand which get buried. Zat is all mein freund. "One day a great rain will come and wash......." <_<

178676[/snapback]

Are you having a laugh?

178693[/snapback]

What's a Nexus like? :razz:

178697[/snapback]

178909[/snapback]

I don't have a problem with Rob promoting debate - it's much needed. It's the way he presents himself as an expert on virtually EVERYTHING and has been EVERYWHERE - twice - that I think gets up peoples' noses.

I'm aspiring to be the next RobW admittedly. :razz:

178914[/snapback]

........and Alex's postion is quite a lazy one...Prove me (the common consensus) wrong! :lol:

Not really, I made the point that stats about the past prove nothing about threat in the future in this instance. That's what I believe anyway. And you agreed. Misrepresentation of someone else's standpoint however is about as lazy a form of debate as you can get imo.

Not really, I made the point that stats about the past prove nothing about threat in the future in this instance. That's what I believe anyway. And you agreed. Misrepresentation of someone else's standpoint however is about as lazy a form of debate as you can get imo.

178947[/snapback]

The past should certainly be taken into account, it just shouldn't be the beginning and end of the debate.

178947[/snapback]

I just know you can do a lot better.

:lol:

178947[/snapback]

178952[/snapback]

Parky's Skool Reports? :razz:

OK, what I would like to know is, how often has someone brought down a commercial jet liner using a device in the cabin and how often has it been tried?

I remember about 6 or so years ago someone left a bomb under a seat which exploded on the next flight. It only killed the poor bastard who had the misfortune to be sitting there. This is only one case but is it representative? Abd why is there no rational discussion in the media about it?

178947[/snapback]

The past should certainly be taken into account, it just shouldn't be the beginning and end of the debate.

178949[/snapback]

I'll concede that. They prove that it hasn't happened a lot in the past so they are informative regarding future threats of a similar nature.

It is no secret that Pakistan is up the arse with Mi6 tbh. But most of the hotels are booked out with Cia... :lol:

178711[/snapback]

If someone had the identity of an active agent in Pakistan, for example, they would have to be a moron to admit it to a close friend, let alone on an open internet forum. Would you like to debate that?

Obviously someone who lies about it just has character issues, maybe you want to challenge that?

Edited by DotBum

178947[/snapback]

178952[/snapback]

Lazy tbh

OK, what I would like to know is, how often has someone brought down a commercial jet liner using a device in the cabin and how often has it been tried?

I remember about 6 or so years ago someone left a bomb under a seat which exploded on the next flight. It only killed the poor bastard who had the misfortune to be sitting there. This is only one case but is it representative? Abd why is there no rational discussion in the media about it?

178954[/snapback]

That chap with the shoe bomb - Richard something(?) was an attempt, although some would have you believe it was a setup, and I have read there is some sort of shoe swap scam that intelligence agencies are supposed to run on planes as passengers take off their shoes for comfort. Normally to plant drugs, though. Can't remember where I got that so can't say if it's credible.