Just Wondered

LeazesMag

I think you just made the same post 3217 times

178397[/snapback]

Bit odd if his first post had been, "Have I really made 3217 posts on here?" :razz:

I see you used the "no smoke without fire" line on N-O today, Leazes, you really don't get it, do you? :lol:

178401[/snapback]

I wondered why he wasnt out checking out the playgrounds, I suppose N-O counts

178407[/snapback]

you've been looking then ? Sneakingly and pervertly from a distance ?

What do you think of the article though, or don't you have one

Edited by LeazesMag

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

178397[/snapback]

Bit odd if his first post had been, "Have I really made 3217 posts on here?" :razz:

I see you used the "no smoke without fire" line on N-O today, Leazes, you really don't get it, do you? :lol:

178401[/snapback]

178407[/snapback]

178439[/snapback]

I would have no objection to the bank holidays, we get 4 less bank holidays than any of the other European countries, so this might be a good way to find a couple of extra ones.

The Sharia law thing is obviously a nonsense, but I have no objection to people wanting different laws, as long as they abide by existing ones. You think we should bring back the death penalty I believe. I disagree but I dont mind you beleiving it to be a good thing

178397[/snapback]

178401[/snapback]

178407[/snapback]

178439[/snapback]

I would have no objection to the bank holidays, we get 4 less bank holidays than any of the other European countries, so this might be a good way to find a couple of extra ones.

The Sharia law thing is obviously a nonsense, but I have no objection to people wanting different laws, as long as they abide by existing ones. You think we should bring back the death penalty I believe. I disagree but I dont mind you beleiving it to be a good thing

178446[/snapback]

They could probably implement the whole lot as long as english civil law had priority. for example, if someone wasnt happy with a sharia court of law decision then they could appeal to an english court of law.

ive read that the state of louisiana is the only american state NOT to use the common law system. Apparantly they use napoleonic civil law.

America bought Louisiana (and much, much more land ) from the french.

178397[/snapback]

178401[/snapback]

178407[/snapback]

178439[/snapback]

178446[/snapback]

They could probably implement the whole lot as long as english civil law had priority. for example, if someone wasnt happy with a sharia court of law decision then they could appeal to an english court of law.

178456[/snapback]

:razz:

Dunno how that'd work like.

divvent get your knickers in a twist bonnie lad, its only a link, I didn't say I BUY the damn thing ....

178438[/snapback]

still reading their stories tbh

178448[/snapback]

not particularly, I don't, as I said its just a link I saw somewhere else, whats the prob anyway are you still reading the Mirror or Morning Star

:lol:

178465[/snapback]

Simple, any time someone wasn't too thrilled with the idea of having a limb cut off, they can take it through the English courts, who would obviously find the decision to be barbaric, and a gross violation of human rights and rightfully rule against the Sharia law.

178465[/snapback]

Simple, any time someone wasn't too thrilled with the idea of having a limb cut off, they can take it through the English courts, who would obviously find the decision to be barbaric, and a gross violation of human rights and rightfully rule against the Sharia law.

178468[/snapback]

Having a limb cut off! They'd be up in arms *groans*

No, the two systems would be completely incompatible. The point is you cant have two separate systems running side by side. Theres a court hierachy in English law whereby higher courts can quash the decisions of subordinate courts, but importantly theyre all applying the same jurisprudence.

In any event, and this is the truth, sharia law would be a non starter in the UK for other reasons. As yu've hinted at, we're signatories to the European Convention on Human Rights (enacted in domestic law by the Human Rigts Act 1998). The difference in treatment of males/females within most Islamic systems would automatically be ruled offside. I needn't comment on the chopping hands off, stoning etc etc.

divvent get your knickers in a twist bonnie lad, its only a link, I didn't say I BUY the damn thing ....

178438[/snapback]

still reading their stories tbh

178448[/snapback]

not particularly, I don't, as I said its just a link I saw somewhere else, whats the prob anyway are you still reading the Mirror or Morning Star

178467[/snapback]

I read your favourite newspaper tbh

SANDALISTAS UNITE!

178465[/snapback]

178468[/snapback]

No, the two systems would be completely incompatible. The point is you cant have two separate systems running side by side. Theres a court hierachy in English law whereby higher courts can quash the decisions of subordinate courts, but importantly theyre all applying the same jurisprudence.

In any event, and this is the truth, sharia law would be a non starter in the UK for other reasons. As yu've hinted at, we're signatories to the European Convention on Human Rights (enacted in domestic law by the Human Rigts Act 1998). The difference in treatment of males/females within most Islamic systems would automatically be ruled offside. I needn't comment on the chopping hands off, stoning etc etc.

178472[/snapback]

Doesnt that mean that the English system runs alongside the European system?

So if you dont like our decision you appeal to Europe. If you dont like Sharia you appeal to English law.

Shirley the'd argue that NOT using sharia law is against their human rights?

178479[/snapback]

Well they could and I've no doubt some do from time to time. Wouldnt fly though. The law of England and Wales has every conceivable built in human rights safeguard these days and for the most part it takes into account customs and beliefs. It's a balancing act of course, but if someone was trying to argue they were being deprived of (a very crass example indeed but lets say the right to force someone into marriage) then that would be outweighed by the other persons freedoms. On the other hand, say the right to practice as a Muslim and to associate with fellow muslims-well thats protected by freedom of expression, association and family life etc etc etc ad infinitum and it aint hurting anyone elses rights.

Shirley the'd argue that NOT using sharia law is against their human rights?

178479[/snapback]

Well they could and I've no doubt some do from time to time. Wouldnt fly though. The law of England and Wales has every conceivable built in human rights safeguard these days and for the most part it takes into account customs and beliefs. It's a balancing act of course, but if someone was trying to argue they were being deprived of (a very crass example indeed but lets say the right to force someone into marriage) then that would be outweighed by the other persons freedoms. On the other hand, say the right to practice as a Muslim and to associate with fellow muslims-well thats protected by freedom of expression, association and family life etc etc etc ad infinitum and it aint hurting anyone elses rights.

178500[/snapback]

God Bless The United Kingdom of Great Britain. We Rock

178465[/snapback]

178468[/snapback]

178472[/snapback]

So if you dont like our decision you appeal to Europe. If you dont like Sharia you appeal to English law.

178492[/snapback]

European law is supreme. so if a decision of an English court was inconsistent with European law, then you'd appeal to a European court (ultimately, although it should be enforced by any domestic appeal court before then, the European court is the last port of call after exhausting all domestic remedies.)

As for Sharia law, well it's not the law of the country anyway so I dont know who you think might be applying it in the first place? Certainly not another court! If someone (say an employer etc) was doing something/taking decisions etc based on their interpretation of what was right under sharia law, then yes, you could bring action in an English court-say discrimination in an employment law context, just to use an example. When you say appeal, it suggests that an inferior court has already applied sharia law, and youre appealing to a higher court. That wouldn't happen.

178465[/snapback]

178468[/snapback]

178472[/snapback]

178492[/snapback]

European law is supreme. so if a decision of an English court was inconsistent with European law, then you'd appeal to a European court (ultimately, although it should be enforced by any domestic appeal court before then, the European court is the last port of call after exhausting all domestic remedies.)

As for Sharia law, well it's not the law of the country anyway so I dont know who you think might be applying it in the first place? Certainly not another court! If someone (say an employer etc) was doing something/taking decisions etc based on their interpretation of what was right under sharia law, then yes, you could bring action in an English court-say discrimination in an employment law context, just to use an example. When you say appeal, it suggests that an inferior court has already applied sharia law, and youre appealing to a higher court. That wouldn't happen.

178507[/snapback]

I was just being daft tbh

178465[/snapback]

178468[/snapback]

178472[/snapback]

178492[/snapback]

178507[/snapback]

178508[/snapback]

Fair play then, spose i waste peoples time for the most part so i can hardly complain.

178465[/snapback]

178468[/snapback]

178472[/snapback]

178492[/snapback]

178507[/snapback]

178508[/snapback]

Fair play then, spose i waste peoples time for the most part so i can hardly complain.

178512[/snapback]

Dont do yourself down. I still found your answer interesting and informative

Edited by spongebob toonpants

178465[/snapback]

178468[/snapback]

178472[/snapback]

178492[/snapback]

178507[/snapback]

178508[/snapback]

178512[/snapback]

Dont do yourself down. I still found your answer interseting and informative

178518[/snapback]

Howay man, I'm just messing. I'm not chewed whether it was a joke or not-it's there for info if anyones bothered so nee probs at all.

178472[/snapback]

I was taking the piss, mong-mag! :lol: Get yer law goggles off, I know I was taking the piss out of how silly beaurocracy can be, but I thought it was obvious.