Luque Ameobi

Long term injured: Dyer/Owen

187983[/snapback]

Martins?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am sure we were all moaning like hell at the end of last season about how skint the club was and we'd be lucky to scrape together a few million.

Now that weve spent £15m (including the uber-bargain that is duff)  were still moaning (and i include me in that!).

Supporters - who'd have em  :lol:

187919[/snapback]

I don't see your point. A lot of people are moaning because of the apparent lack of planning in the transfer market. It is not just about the amount of money that is spent. A lot of people were hoping the right problems would be adressed. And there were players available for decent prices (and I am not speaking of Duff, who was a nice steal, but unfortunately a player we didn't really need). Some of them even were freebies. The aim was to improve a squad that was lacking depth. The managment has spectacularly failed in this so far IMHO.

187929[/snapback]

well my point wasnt about the players weve bought or missed out on nor was it about the positions that we have and havnt filled. it was simply that we believed the club had little to spend and now that weve found £15m weve spent it on just 2 players (while allowing 9 to leave). i realise that in an ideal world the money wouldve been spent on other opsitions but the duff deal was too good to turn down

if our summer budget was only 15m then i'd still have bought duff and spunked the rest on a striker. a player of duffs quality does not become available very often. yes i realise that the left side of midfield wasnt a priority but what about next season? or the season after?? what about duffs resale value? how long will it take us to recoup the £5m through sales of merchandise?

duffs versatility, his ability and future value means that he's a huge asset to our club. Huge. the deal was too good to turn down in every sense.

187950[/snapback]

Of course the Duff deal was too good to turn down. I don't think too many will disagree about that. I still don't see what the moaning about the lack of planning in the transfers has to do with probably more money being spent than most of us thought was available. Your point rather justifies Newcastle transfer policy of appeasing fans with big name signings so that they forget about the utter dosh they get to see on the pitch - and the managment produces off the pitch. Duffs signing is hardly significant when his team mates are mediocre at their best.

Am sure everyone will agree that the first position we had to fill was that of striker. weve done that.

but weve also snapped up an outstanding player in duff.

Am i happy with the players weve bought - yes

am i happy with the amount weve spent - yes

we knew and the club knew that a quality striker would not be cheap and that has proved to be the case.

its all very well saying we couldve had him, him and him on bosmans but that might add £120000 per week to the wage bill and several £m in signing on fees.

if duff and martins are our only acquisitions this summer i'm positive we'll look back next summer and say whilst not ideal, the club did well in the market (planning or no planning).

Am sure everyone will agree that the first position we had to fill was that of striker. weve done that.

we knew and the club knew that a quality striker would not be cheap and that has proved to be the case.

its all very well saying we couldve had him, him and him on bosmans but that might add £120000 per week to the wage bill and several £m in signing on fees.

if duff and martins are our only acquisitions this summer i'm positive we'll look back next summer and say whilst not ideal, the club did well in the market (planning or no planning).

188000[/snapback]

I'm sure we'll look back after a season of seeing defensive mistake after mistake, and wonder why Roeder has been sacked....

You're honestly happy with the fact we've lost 2 defenders, and brought none in, to a defence which is already pretty shit?

188000[/snapback]

I'm not even sure about that. Obviously its early days, but Martins doesn't strike me as a leader-of-the-line / lone striker / number nine type forward. He looks like he needs a big man alongside him to be properly effective and I can't imagine him forging a partnership with Owen when he comes back.

With Shola's dodgy hip / talent limitations I think we still need another striker, one with a bit of presence about him.

188000[/snapback]

Sorry, but I do find your stance a bit absurd. We have a far too thin squad with major positions having absolutely no cover (and forgetting for a moment that even the first choice players lack quality). We also have some players who still have to adapt to the league (Luque and Martins). If they ever will, remains to be seen. I don't think Luque will and from the look on Sunday Martins need some time.

Of course everything hangs on the success in the course of the season. Unfortunately I can't see us to be too successful with the current squad, especially as I think a couple of teams have leapfrogged us and have the potential to do very well. Roeder himself set the standard in aiming to finish better than last season, i.e. top 6. If we only sign two people and don't achieve it I doubt anyone will look back and say that we did well in the transfer market.

Laz man we've done fucking shite tbh. We've bought two players who 'became available'...

It's been a summer full of empty promises from the club and I for one am totally dis-satisfied with it!

I don't think I've felt this pissed off at the end of the summer period before :lol:

188000[/snapback]

I'm sure we'll look back after a season of seeing defensive mistake after mistake, and wonder why Roeder has been sacked....

You're honestly happy with the fact we've lost 2 defenders, and brought none in, to a defence which is already pretty shit?

188006[/snapback]

no i'm not happy with the defence - the entire back 4 positions need strengthening.

even if the club had signed a new back 4 - i would not want to go into the new season with shola as our only striker. now that would have been a disgrace.

in an ideal world we'd have signed the right balance of players - maybe 1 striker, 1 left back and a right back. but as ive argued the oppourtunity to sign duff came along.........

188000[/snapback]

188006[/snapback]

no i'm not happy with the defence - the entire back 4 positions need strengthening.

even if the club had signed a new back 4 - i would not want to go into the new season with shola as our only striker. now that would have been a disgrace.

in an ideal world we'd have signed the right balance of players - maybe 1 striker, 1 left back and a right back. but as ive argued the oppourtunity to sign duff came along.........

188017[/snapback]

What if the signing of Duff means that N'Zogbia gets pushed out?

Much as I'm happy with the signing of Duff, I'd rather have signed Trabelsi and Campbell with the wages.

Laz man we've done fucking shite tbh. We've bought two players who 'became available'...

It's been a summer full of empty promises from the club and I for one am totally dis-satisfied with it!

I don't think I've felt this pissed off at the end of the summer period before ;)

188014[/snapback]

no we havnt done shite :lol: weve done ok.

and yes i agree the club has contradicted itself and put its foot in its mouth on more than one occasion. and i also agree that we havnt learned from past mistakes (ie leaving our transfer dealing late etc etc).

I don't think I've felt this pissed off at the end of the summer period before ;)

188014[/snapback]

no we havnt done shite :lol:weve done ok.

and yes i agree the club has contradicted itself and put its foot in its mouth on more than one occasion. and i also agree that we havnt learned from past mistakes (ie leaving our transfer dealing late etc etc).

188022[/snapback]

I'm amazed.

188014[/snapback]

188022[/snapback]

Holy-mother-of-christ, wake up to yourself Laz, we've been a fucking shambles!

Considering the time, we've had, the state of the squad we had, and the money allegedly available, we should have bought 5-6 players since July 1st.

2 of them would have been free as well! I will never understand Roeder's logic on not going for either Hasselbaink or Campbell...

188014[/snapback]

188022[/snapback]

Holy-mother-of-christ, wake up to yourself Laz, we've been a fucking shambles!

Considering the time, we've had, the state of the squad we had, and the money allegedly available, we should have bought 5-6 players since July 1st.

2 of them would have been free as well! I will never understand Roeder's logic on not going for either Hasselbaink or Campbell...

188056[/snapback]

For me - campbell i wouldve liked, not sure about hasslbank though.

Maybe no one wanted to sign for us - except an irishman desparate for 1st team football and a nigerian playing in italy who doest know any better.

Didn't know where to post it and I couldn't be arsed to dig out an old apropriate thread.

Boulahrouz apparently said in a newspaper interview after his move to Chelsea that there had been enquieries from Villa and Newcastle in the past, but he didn't even think about considering them. Chelsea was a totally different thing though.

Together with the latest shambles it tells a story how low this club has dropped in player's estimations.