The Keegan Era: Will we ever see it's like again?

indigo

Is a repeat of the Keegan era still possible?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When people think back to the Keegan days, they think of good, flowing, attacking football, of a team that simply overwhelmed the vast majority of its opposition with wave, after wave, of attacks. I think of beating ManU 5-0 and Phillipe Albert scoring that goal, I even look back on those 4-3 defeats at Anfield with bit of fondness now.

But could it happen again?

At any club, let alone NUFC!?!

If you think about it there are some quite unusual things about those sides, for example:

Well the first and most obvious one is the playing style, no-one plays like that anymore, no-one played like that then for fuck's sake!! All-out attack, an "if you score one, we'll score two" type of attitude, it was, and still is, unique. The closest you'll get to it is Arsenal when they really click, and even then it's not the same.

Also, the team was made up primarily of hardworking, reasonably talented players, but few of them were world-stars and none, with the possible exception of Tino, could be considered trophy signings. Yet together they formed one of the most exciting and effective attacking forces in world football.

So could it be done again? Or has modern football changed too much for this type of formula to be successful? Would you want to see it again? And finally, what was the secret ingredient, the catalyst, that made it work in the first place?

We matched it around 2002/2003 IMO. Bellamy, Robert, Shearer back on from, the 3-1arsenal and 4-3leeds games back to back in particular. That last minute goal against feyenoord, win against juve, draw at inter.

Good times. Bobby will always be the man for me!

I still have a preview magazine for the 96/97 season, where it clearly present every team and says:

"Newcastle United, Prediction: Champions." B)

that would probably have been enough in terms of success for me to last for the rest of my life. Plus winning the league in the grandad collar shirt would have owned all.

Guest steviewonder

The question I'm asking is not: Can we be successful again or play decent football again.

It's: Could a team like that, play like that, and be successful?

why do newcastle always need trophy signings, look at portsmouth would you be happy with there team? i would, a bunch of experienced journeymen including lua lua.

When people think back to the Keegan days, they think of good, flowing, attacking football, of a team that simply overwhelmed the vast majority of its opposition with wave, after wave, of attacks. I think of beating ManU 5-0 and Phillipe Albert scoring that goal, I even look back on those 4-3 defeats at Anfield with bit of fondness now.

If you think about it there are some quite unusual things about those sides, for example:

Well the first and most obvious one is the playing style, no-one plays like that anymore, no-one played like that then for fuck's sake!! All-out attack, an "if you score one, we'll score two" type of attitude, it was, and still is, unique. The closest you'll get to it is Arsenal when they really click, and even then it's not the same.

Also, the team was made up primarily of hardworking, reasonably talented players, but few of them were world-stars and none, with the possible exception of Tino, could be considered trophy signings. Yet together they formed one of the most exciting and effective attacking forces in world football.

So could it be done again? Or has modern football changed too much for this type of formula to be successful? Would you want to see it again? And finally, what was the secret ingredient, the catalyst, that made it work in the first place?

Stopped reading right there tbh.

The question I'm asking is not: Can we be successful again or play decent football again.

It's: Could a team like that, play like that, and be successful?

What do you mean by successful? In terms of trophies, it wasn't successful the first time round.

i don't think we'll see that kind of buzz and optimism around the place again until we get rid of the board.

we need a takeover and a fresh start from the top down to get the feel good factor back.

The thing that made the Keegan era special was the unconditional beleif and support that Keegan enjoyed. For a while we were United in the beleif that we would win every game and anything was possible.

I remember reading somewhere that the nearest it came to any dissent or complaint was a slightly disaproving silence 10 minutes into the second half of a game against Everton.

We will never have that uncynical optomism again

B) I know, plastic tbh :lol: It was fucking heart-breaking man. Still is.

Too many long words?

Too many long words?

Too many stupid sentiments

;) I know, plastic tbh :blush: It was fucking heart-breaking man. Still is.

The bit of fondness comes from the fact that the football we played was excellent and also that we were unlucky to lose against Liverpool, then, as now, one of the best teams in the league.

I suppose you prefer losing 2-1 at home to Fulham, eh, alex!?!

As for plastic, well you can shove that up your arse. :blush:

Too many long words?

Too many stupid sentiments

Ho-ho, how droll.

There were a few more trophy signings than that, including the ultimate trophy signing.

Ok, I suppose Shearer's arguable, but name me one other.

Tino Asprilla.

So, is that the Tino Asprilla I've already mentioned, or a different one?

The bit of fondness comes from the fact that the football we played was excellent and also that we were unlucky to lose against Liverpool, then, as now, one of the best teams in the league.

As for plastic, well you can shove that up your arse. :D

Basically, aye. The 2-1 at home to Fulham is pretty meaningless compared to the first 4-3 that helped cost us the league. The plastic comment was a joke. Hit a nerve though? :blush:

As for plastic, well you can shove that up your arse. :gettin:

Basically, aye. The 2-1 at home to Fulham is pretty meaningless compared to the first 4-3 that helped cost us the league. The plastic comment was a joke. Hit a nerve though? :D

Meaningless in itself, but the team that lost 4-3, was one you could be proud of, a team that looked - and was - good, who had a chance of winning something - even though they didn't in the end. The team that lost 1-2 was one to be embarrassed of, a team that's going nowhere and has absolutely no chance of winning anything, a complete shambles basically.

Heroic defeat or miserable failure? I know which I'd choose.

I knew it was a joke, by the way, see the other thread. :blush:

Keegans team was a joy to watch. So many great moments. We used to demolish teams at home. Away form was a bit ropey though.

I was aghast when i found out that near the time of his departure there was a petition (albeit a small one) going around to get him sacked. Fucking disgusting.

Great times and I almost cried at the Leicester 7-1 promotion day win.

To be honest, Arsenal under Wenger have played better football on a more consistent basis. The only reason they are/were arguably less exciting is that they don't have/haven't had the tendency to implode under pressure.

And I have very few fond memories of us chucking the league away ;)