Ever bought a brand new car?

bobbyshinton

Company cars are cack when you've only got a limited choice. At PwC the choice was basically anything you wanted. They even had American cars on the list that they would import if you wanted to wait 6 months for one.

At my current place you can get pretty much any car you want, but the leasing cost plus the tax implication puts it at about £200 per month more than I'm paying for the finance + insurance on my car, so balls to that.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We only have the choice of Vauxhalls, and at my level that would be an LX Astra or something. Not only that, but i'd probably be given a pool car that is sat not being used - that would mean waiting until the lease ran out before I got my own choice on colour etc. Also there's the tax burden you mention.

Fuck all that shit, i'll have the money instead thanks! :calmdown:

Edited by nufc4ever

My mate just bought a new shape hyundai coupe for 6k . . . . . . . . . . . . with 95000 miles on the clock :calmdown:

I dont think i could ever bring myself to spend £15-20k on a new car when you can get them half the price at 2-3 years old with 15-20000 miles on the clock.

The other thing I have to worry about is that my company won't let anyone drive a car that's over four years old, so that kind of rules out buying a 3 year old motor - there's no way i'd change car every year...

Edited by nufc4ever

I don't mind it really, it ensures everyone has a nice newish car. Oh, and we can't have 2 seaters (in case we need to drive clients anywhere) either. My mate works for a rival company of mine and they're not meant to have cars without four doors for the same reason.

I thought these things were commonplace tbh.

when you lose 30% of the value by driving out of the garage it's crazy to buy new for yourself when they'll sel you a 1 year old one with a full guarantee

if the company are stupid enough to buy one instaed of giving you a milage allowance then new is an option I guess

I've had little trouble with either BUT the worst car I ever had was new - mind it was a Rover.....................

Nope :calmdown: never would, waste of money as you lose so much so quickly. Hubby is in the garage trade anyway and gets us incredibly cheap run arounds that he literally throws away the minute they need anything major doing on them! We actually have a Laguna at present, yes its a few years old, but very good condition and cost us £280....bargain!!!

I have a Rover 600 that cost me £600. It's an 11 year old 'N' plate and when people laugh at my 'banger' i laugh right back at them. It was owned by an octogenarian, garaged since new and when i got it had 28k on the clock. I've had it for 2 years, haven't spent a penny in repairs on it and don't have a couple of hundred quid a month going out on a car loan.

New cars are a way to part stupid people from their money tbh.

Or people who are just richer than you. :calmdown:

You might have difficulty getting parts for that Rover if anything does fo wrong mind, and it almost certainly will, being a British car.

Your point is moot. Why should being richer mean they have an urge to waste thousands of pounds on a new car, other than if they do starship mileage?

Parts are no problem whatsoever, there are thousands of 600's still in circulation, as well as plenty of scrapyards where i live.

Nope :calmdown: never would, waste of money as you lose so much so quickly. Hubby is in the garage trade anyway and gets us incredibly cheap run arounds that he literally throws away the minute they need anything major doing on them! We actually have a Laguna at present, yes its a few years old, but very good condition and cost us £280....bargain!!!

I have a Rover 600 that cost me £600. It's an 11 year old 'N' plate and when people laugh at my 'banger' i laugh right back at them. It was owned by an octogenarian, garaged since new and when i got it had 28k on the clock. I've had it for 2 years, haven't spent a penny in repairs on it and don't have a couple of hundred quid a month going out on a car loan.

You might have difficulty getting parts for that Rover if anything does fo wrong mind, and it almost certainly will, being a British car.

Your point is moot. Why should being richer mean they have an urge to waste thousands of pounds on a new car, other than if they do starship mileage?

Parts are no problem whatsoever, there are thousands of 600's still in circulation, as well as plenty of scrapyards where i live.

I'd imagine rich people don't mind paying for the prestige and comfort of a new car; seems fairly obvious to me.

Agreed, I think you have to be horrendously rich or a real car enthusiast to get the "benefit" of a new car. The depreciation after a year is insane, 10-20k is a lot to pay for new car smell. If I'm missing something I'd like to know.

I'd imagine rich people don't mind paying for the prestige and comfort of a new car; seems fairly obvious to me.

Yes i'm sure they don't, i was suggesting it's not necessary, not that it shouldn't be allowed. Most of our throwaway capitalist society is all about pointless material posessions that are mostly status symbols anyway.

Yes i'm sure they don't, i was suggesting it's not necessary, not that it shouldn't be allowed. Most of our throwaway capitalist society is all about pointless material posessions that are mostly status symbols anyway.

Well yeah, but what's your point? The richer you are the better your car, house, clothes, food and probably your wife will be. It's debatable how much of it is necessary.

Which cars depreciate by 10-20k in a year?!

Mine has cost me nothing to date due to my car allowance and i'll be able to sell it for £4000 i reckon. That means in real terms it's lost £7k in three years but i'll be actually making money from it. Sorted.

Mine has cost me nothing to date due to my car allowance and i'll be able to sell it for £4000 i reckon. That means in real terms it's lost £7k in three years but i'll be actually making money from it. Sorted.

cars that cost £ 40 k..............

You company car drivers are quids in. My brother-in-law got a Honda Accord Diesel a year ago and he gets the bus to work 3 days a week. Consequently he'll be quids in also when he gets to buy it off them and punt it for a profit. That was the reason he chose the Accord over a Vectra - much less depreciation.

So by definition then if you have enough to spend £40k on a car you'll not give two shits about the depreciation.

Wrong.

£40,000 is plenty to spend on a car. That will get you a top end Audi, Merc or even a Porsche. Sound like the kind of car someone bothered by depreciation would buy?

I don't follow your logic, Dave. If I want a 40k car, that I can get pretty much the same thing for £25k, why would I spend £40k. If you're saying that you would never spend that on a car, or that if you spent that on a car the 15k wouldn't be important, then fair enough; but otherwise you might be making a few too many assumptions.

I think that if i'm loaded enough to spend a third of the price of a house (in some places...) on a car then the depreciation is the last thing on my mind. I'll be happy with my brand new prestige car that in reality not many others can boast. I personally do value the brand new, first user feeling - and it's the same with anything I buy.

I flogged a virtually new PSP and games a few months ago for a fraction of its original cost - it just didn't worry me. I agree this is reflective of today's society though, my mother would be horrified at the loss I took there.

Anyway, in your opinion i'm 'horrendously rich' - so you're alright by me. :calmdown: