Co-Op

Noelie

Its intended to stop the unscrupulous spiv ripping off the unwitting public

Separate issue; unless we want to throw the looney shopkeeper out with the bath-water.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Separate issue; unless we want to throw the looney shopkeeper out with the bath-water.

Its not really a seperate issue, its basicaly about transparency and standardisation of pricing so Joe Punter can easily see how much he is paying for his banana. The whole metric martyr shebang was just a bit of whipped up europe bashing tosh t try nad make an issue where there wasnt one

Its not really a seperate issue, its basicaly about transparency and standardisation of pricing so Joe Punter can easily see how much he is paying for his banana. The whole metric martyr shebang was just a bit of whipped up europe bashing tosh t try nad make an issue where there wasnt one

And succeeding too, thanks to the good old British press.

But if he wanted to up the prices of his bananas, couldn't he do so anyway? Maybe if we gave Joe credit for being able to do a bit of simple maths, the World wouldn't be in the state it's in; it's a stretch, granted. The shit corporations get away with on a daily basis, which is just accepted, makes this even more of a laughable concept.

I'm not talking about this specific person btw, don't know who he is, but what you say about him sounds very plausible.

Edited by ObaGol

:calmdown:

If "British identity" means "inability to evolve and keep up with the times", then yep.

My word Mr.Renton, I do believe we have a pedantic verbalist among us. :calmdown:

OK, I was harsh, but I do find it really odds the people who are most nostalgic are very often the same people who have emigrated. If you are so fond of quaint old-fashioned department stores in city centres, why have you chosen to live in probably the most car-dependent place on Earth? And what is so good about the confusing imperial system and pre-decimilisation currency, or common-wealth passports?

For your info Mr.Renton I left 'home' because after a few years in the Merchant Navy I grew accustomed to lovely sunshine and decided that I wanted to live in a place where the sun shone a lot more than it did in the UK and I chose Southern California. Had I not liked it there or couldn't settle the plan was to move on to New Zealand. Most immigrants leave for reasons of oppression, high taxation, job opportunities, housing problems, joining family members, or job transfers etc, but not I, sunshine was my motivation.

And for the record, I have not become an American citizen, nor will I ever unless they change the Oath of Allegiance so you do not have to absolutely and entirely renounce allegiance and fidelity to any other state or sovereignty.

Perhaps you're right about expats being more nostalgic than most but that's probably because they think of 'home' and the way it was when they lived there and hence don't take kindly to changes that destroy as I call it 'the British identity'.

But if he wanted to up the prices of his bananas, couldn't he do so anyway? Maybe if we gave Joe credit for being able to do a bit of simple maths, the World wouldn't be in the state it's in; it's a stretch, granted. The shit corporations get away with on a daily basis, which is just accepted, makes this even more of a laughable concept.

I'm not talking about this specific person btw, don't know who he is, but what you say about him sounds very plausible.

He was done by trading standards for refusing to use modern scales with both metric and imperial measurements. He then claimed he was not allowed to sell his fruit in imperial units, which was a lie. The whole story was soon seized by the right wing press and groups like UKIP as an excuse for a bit of Euro-bashing.

I agree with trading standards and the like making sure traders aren't ripping people off. Especially as most people are stupid.

I think that assumption's half the problem tbh. the mind boggles at how stupid some people can be, but I've never met someone who couldn't understand simple guidelines on not getting ripped off, at the very least they could "phone a friend". It's more laziness than anything else, and if they can't be arsed, maybe they should suffer the consequences. I know if I don't check on the internet before I buy a product I pretty much blame myself if it goes wrong.

I don't want to argue about the relative intelligence of the population but I agree with Spongebob re: it being there so the public doesn't get ripped off.

I don't want to argue about the relative intelligence of the population but I agree with Spongebob re: it being there so the public doesn't get ripped off.

I also agree that's why it's there.

For your info Mr.Renton I left 'home' because after a few years in the Merchant Navy I grew accustomed to lovely sunshine and decided that I wanted to live in a place where the sun shone a lot more than it did in the UK and I chose Southern California. Had I not liked it there or couldn't settle the plan was to move on to New Zealand. Most immigrants leave for reasons of oppression, high taxation, job opportunities, housing problems, joining family members, or job transfers etc, but not I, sunshine was my motivation.

And for the record, I have not become an American citizen, nor will I ever unless they change the Oath of Allegiance so you do not have to absolutely and entirely renounce allegiance and fidelity to any other state or sovereignty.

Perhaps you're right about expats being more nostalgic than most but that's probably because they think of 'home' and the way it was when they lived there and hence don't take kindly to changes that destroy as I call it 'the British identity'.

You left because you prefer California to the UK, that is fair enough. But what I find interesting is the State you have chosen is probably as far away as you could get from the UK in terms of how we live. You might not take kindly to the "British identity" being destroyed, whatever that means, but now you choose to live and pay your taxes elsewhere you have no stake in Britain as far as I am concerned. Believe it or not though, most people (younger ones at least) believe in progression and the loss of imperial units or a black passport, or even the Co-op, is of little concern really.

I agree with trading standards and the like making sure traders aren't ripping people off. Especially as most people are stupid.

I think that assumption's half the problem tbh. the mind boggles at how stupid some people can be, but I've never met someone who couldn't understand simple guidelines on not getting ripped off, at the very least they could "phone a friend". It's more laziness than anything else, and if they can't be arsed, maybe they should suffer the consequences. I know if I don't check on the internet before I buy a product I pretty much blame myself if it goes wrong.

I am sure you would be able to work it out, but you are not the one who needs to be protected. I dont really now why you consider a bad thing to try and prevent people getting ripped off

I am sure you would be able to work it out, but you are not the one who needs to be protected. I dont really now why you consider a bad thing to try and prevent people getting ripped off

I didn't say I would be able to figure it out, I said that I thought pretty much everyone had the ability to. If you think that the majority of people are genuinely too thick for basic maths and awareness skills, I'd be interested to hear why. I think they have ended up that way, not that they were meant to end up that way.

I think it's a bad thing because people are increasingly babied and the majority never take any responsibility for themselves, leaving them increasingly vulnerable when they can't be protected. We're all getting fucked by major corporations because they have the strenth to dodge these laws and the people don't know how to cope. And what happens when the babied citizens get fucked by their government, who protects them then?

Where did your post go, Meenzer? :calmdown:

You got in the way and the comedy moment was lost. :D:calmdown:

I thought of something funny to reply to it, and then you deleted it, but it was the usual one-dimensional ha-ha-homosexual fare, so no loss really. ;)

You got in the way and the comedy moment was lost. <_<:calmdown:

I thought of something funny to reply to it, and then you deleted it, but it was the usual one-dimensional ha-ha-homosexual fare, so no loss really. ;)

:D

Or something.

You got in the way and the comedy moment was lost. <_<;)

I thought of something funny to reply to it, and then you deleted it, but it was the usual one-dimensional ha-ha-homosexual fare, so no loss really. :D

<_<

Or something.

:calmdown:

That's you, that is.

I didn't say I would be able to figure it out, I said that I thought pretty much everyone had the ability to. If you think that the majority of people are genuinely too thick for basic maths and awareness skills, I'd be interested to hear why. I think they have ended up that way, not that they were meant to end up that way.

I think it's a bad thing because people are increasingly babied and the majority never take any responsibility for themselves, leaving them increasingly vulnerable when they can't be protected. We're all getting fucked by major corporations because they have the strenth to dodge these laws and the people don't know how to cope. And what happens when the babied citizens get fucked by their government, who protects them then?

Seperate issue tbh :calmdown:

Dotbum, you're talking cobblers tbh.

Btw, have you ever tried to do any maths using imperial weights? It's barely possible. But even that isn't really the issue - the issue was having a set of working scales which gave the correct metric weight, and displaying the price per metric weight (and imperial if that is wished), so people could make a fair comparison with other outlets. Common sense really, it's got nothing to do with the government or major corporations.

I'm really not, sorry if you can't keep up, like. :calmdown:

Yes, I'm converting imperial-metric on a regular basis, sorry you find it so hard going, I'll think of you this Christmas. :calmdown:

"If a bloke wants to run his business into the ground, selling only the lefty-hand side of cabbages, sold by the moon-unit, how can that really be anyone's business but his own?"

That was my point btw, I've already said I haven't a clue who this bloke is and that what's being said about his political agenda sounds very plausuble.

Edited by ObaGol

Renton is one of those that needs protection. I can just imagine him at the deli counter like Tim Nice-But-Dim going "Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Sooooooo. Ah, how many pound things is that then?" in a T N-B-D voice as the lass behind the counter weighs out his enormous pork pie order.

I'm really not, sorry if you can't keep up, like. :calmdown:

Yes, I'm converting imperial-metric on a regular basis, sorry you find it so hard going, I'll think of you this Christmas. :calmdown:

Conversion is easy, try dividing 2 stone, 4 pounds, and 3 ounces by 7 and see what I mean.