Co-Op

Noelie

Is it not 32 pounds and 3 oz. ? Or am I missing something?

Yes. I want that divided by 7. In your head. And the answer back in pounds and ounces please.

:calmdown:

*puts hand in air, supported by other hand to push it higher* ME! ASK ME SIR! SIR PLEASE SIR!

Missed you at the back of the class there Gems, go ahead with the answer.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Handbags tbh

It's really not. I'm saying what I think, as much as I don't want to, in this instance.

Can you clarify to me that you don't think it should be mandatory for shop keepers to use accurate scales and quote the cost of bananas in a standard unit?

If you agree they should have to do this, do you think those should be metric or imperial units, or both?

Or can they do what they like without state interference, and it's a case of buyer beware?

Just assuming you end up laughing at people's points of view every time we debate something, instead of you talking it out as you apparently love to do.

I think that wanting the general public to become more aware, educated and empowered is a standpoint I would be happy to support and encourage, but to think that you are likely to promote this by letting a barrow boy rip off pensioners is laughable.

Edited by spongebob toonpants

Handbags tbh

It's really not. I'm saying what I think, as much as I don't want to, in this instance.

Can you clarify to me that you don't think it should be mandatory for shop keepers to use accurate scales and quote the cost of bananas in a standard unit?

If you agree they should have to do this, do you think those should be metric or imperial units, or both?

Or can they do what they like without state interference, and it's a case of buyer beware?

Are you genuinely having an argument about weighing bananas? :calmdown:

Handbags tbh

I think it's a bit deeper than that, and touches on the extent the state should interfere in peoples' lives and protect its citizens, but in a nutshell, yes. :calmdown:

Handbags tbh

No, I don't think it should be mandatory, I think any business man with good business sense would accept standards set by some sort of union/group with a seal of approval which a customer would look for.

I would also differentiate between the small local grocer - a human being, and a large corporation - a legal entity in its own right which has far too much power over a community which is not vigilant enough as it feels it's being looked after.

I'm sorry if that idea is so absurd as to be laughable to some, maybe I need to work on breaking things down better, but I will continue to believe that those people need to widen their viewpoint and level of understanding.

Edit: Just to clarify if someone is using a rigged scales, yes, that's a crime.

Edited by ObaGol

Handbags tbh

Anybody can see that whilst on the surface we are talking about bananas it is obviously a metaphor

Handbags tbh

Anybody can see that whilst on the surface we are talking about bananas it is obviously a metaphor

A who's got the biggest banana thing? Renton likes to work in centimetres as the smaller units make his seem larger. Dotbum is confident enough to stick with the larger imperial units despite them being a higher divisor.

Handbags tbh

No, I don't think it should be mandatory, I think any business man with good business sense would accept standards set by some sort of union/group with a seal of approval which a customer would look for.

I would also differentiate between the small local grocer - a human being, and a large corporation - a legal entity in its own right which has far too much power over a community which is not vigilant enough as it feels it's being looked after.

I'm sorry if that idea is so absurd as to be laughable to some, maybe I need to work on breaking things down better, but I will continue to believe that those people need to widen their viewpoint and level of understanding.

I think there is something in here that I agree with, but I think your defence of the small business man obscures it. Why differentiate between them and the corporation, they should all be required to hld to the same set of rules, with the customer who is the one to receive protection.

Handbags tbh

OK, then I disagree. :calmdown:

I would just add that it would require almost no effort for any trader, even small ones, to comply with existing laws by using a metric-compatible set of scales, so in my opinion there are no excuses. As usual, the law is on my side. :calmdown:

In response to your edit, if you are going to the effort of having trading officers checking rigged scales, they may as well also make sure the person is charging an umabiguous price for his bananas as well. It would cost nothing to implement this.

A who's got the biggest banana thing? Renton likes to work in centimetres as the smaller units make his seem larger. Dotbum is confident enough to stick with the larger imperial units despite them being a higher divisor.

I stick with metres tbh as i can't count above 5, and apparently feet are scary.

EDIT: I blame a dodgy shift key for making me look like an idiot, and I blame poker for that, the truth may be rather more upsetting.

Edited by ObaGol

Handbags tbh

I've had no complaints about my 215 mm.

Handbags tbh

I find both of their bananas laughable apparently

Edited by spongebob toonpants

Handbags tbh

I would just add that it would require almost no effort for any trader, even small ones, to comply with existing laws by using a metric-compatible set of scales, so in my opinion there are no excuses. As usual, the law is on my side. ;)

In response to your edit, if you are going to the effort of having trading officers checking rigged scales, they may as well also make sure the person is charging an umabiguous price for his bananas as well. It would cost nothing to implement this.

:calmdown: "Non-rigged scales.........check! Unambiguity of banana pricing.......check!"

Whilst I think spongebob and Dotbum are arguing about something a bit more fundamental, I genuinely believe that Renton's chief concern is bananas.

Since metric measurements are taught in schools in the UK I have no problem with traders being made to use them. They've had loads of time to convert and the only reason in the long-term for them using something else is to pull the wool over the customers eyes, as far as I can tell.

Handbags tbh

I would just add that it would require almost no effort for any trader, even small ones, to comply with existing laws by using a metric-compatible set of scales, so in my opinion there are no excuses. As usual, the law is on my side. ;)

:calmdown: "Non-rigged scales.........check! Unambiguity of banana pricing.......check!"

Whilst I think spongebob and Dotbum are arguing about something a bit more fundamental, I genuinely believe that Renton's chief concern is bananas.

Well that's disproved by my previous response, dickwad!

Dotbum mentioned the rigged scales, not me. I believe the citizen has a right to know what he's buying, and the state should enforce this right, that's about it really. I also believe we should go fully metric asap as well, but it aint going to happen for political reasons.

Edited by Renton

That's going to be a pretty limited range in your case. What if you needed 6 bananas a 14p each? :calmdown:

What the fuck is an unambiguous price, anyway?

That's going to be a pretty limited range in your case. What if you needed 6 bananas a 14p each? :calmdown:

What the fuck is an unambiguous price, anyway?

OK, wrong word. Misleading or incorrect price, and a price that's understood by all. Seeling them per banana is obviously OK.

Well that's disproved by my previous response, dickwad!

Dotbum mentioned the rigged scales, not me. I believe the citizen has a right to know what he's buying, and the state should enforce this right, that's about it really. I also believe we should go fully metric asap as well, but it aint going to happen for political reasons.

I was responding to your point about "accurate scales" as when I reread what I was responding to I realised I hadn't really said anything relevant! Gemmill's got it spot on tbh. You believe the state should enforce your rights to be protected and go metric because you're fucked if you have to do hard sums. :calmdown:

:calmdown:

Edited by ObaGol