Souness rules out Owen loan deal

Scottish Mag

Have a bit of pity for Owen.

He leaves Liverpool only to see them win the European Cup.

Now he is being squeezed into a move to Newcastle!!!! Hardly what he imagined twelve months ago, surely.

I just wonder what he would be like playing with Dyer just behind him, dropping Shearer and, surprise surprise, Ameobi completely?

Aye, I saw this earlier this morning and it is rank stupidity from Souness.

17778[/snapback]

I'm not sure he has a choice....

What would Real Madrid get out of a loan deal? I can't see that being attractive to them at all.

17780[/snapback]

Someone else paying the wages of a player that they don't want?

17784[/snapback]

On that same logic though isnt Souness right to say this? If Liverpool dont come in for Owen then what would Owen get out of not moving to us permanently? being stuck in the reserves of a club that dont want him, with the World Cup a season away?

By saying this hes forcing Liverpools hand, he knows that if 2 loan deals are on the table then he'll go Scouse, this way Madrid wouldnt let him go on loan when the other options 17 million spondooleees.

17778[/snapback]

What would Real Madrid get out of a loan deal? I can't see that being attractive to them at all.

17780[/snapback]

17784[/snapback]

On that same logic though isnt Souness right to say this? If Liverpool dont come in for Owen then what would Owen get out of not moving to us permanently? being stuck in the reserves of a club that dont want him, with the World Cup a season away?

By saying this hes forcing Liverpools hand, he knows that if 2 loan deals are on the table then he'll go Scouse, this way Madrid wouldnt let him go on loan when the other options 17 million spondooleees.

17946[/snapback]

Exactly :D

It seems from Souness' quotes that he' somehow managed to find a way of picking an argument with a player he wants before he's even signed him yet.

Souness said:

"As I understand it, the loan is not an option, not a chance. Not when we've made a whacking great offer for him that's been accepted.

"He is contracted to Real Madrid and it is not his decision."

"No player can make that decision."

It's like he's trying to give Owen a bit of a dressing down or something. Our manager is clearly a fucknut.

Has 24 hours passed since Anal told us we'd be bringing in another striker? Tick tock Anal, tick tock...

17830[/snapback]

*Bump*

Tick tock…

The Chronicle should be interesting today.

17778[/snapback]

17780[/snapback]

17784[/snapback]

17946[/snapback]

I see Gemmils point and agree but I also agree with Peasepud. It's a gamble but I think Peasepub might just have the logic right. If there is an option for Own to go to Scouseland, then he'll take it. I even think he'd accept the pay cut to complete the move. We're trying to narrow the options. If we can remove the Liverpool option from him, we can then concentrate on offering him an attractive package. By that, I dont necessarily mean pots of cash.

The point is, Owen needs matches in world cup year which is something he will definitly get from us. However, he is only 25 and will no doubtedly be looking beyond this as well. He turned Everton down point blank as they aren't established enough yet as a top 4 team to be a good move.

I think the idea of offering him a 12month get out clause if we finish outside CL/UEFA that may make the package more attractive as this would fullfill his world cup concerns and beyond. So, worst case is, he moves on in 12months and he may get his move to liverpool. Long-term this is maybe not so good for us, but it may at least help to get us out of the hole we seem to be digging ourselves into.

The ideal scenario is that at the end of next season Owen has helped catapult us back into the top 4 and is happy to stay. I don't begrudge him thinking about us in this way as tbh, we aren't the attractive club we once were, that's not to say we can't be, but I don't think anyone on here can refute that (I'm sure someone will ;-) ).

Has 24 hours passed since Anal told us we'd be bringing in another striker? Tick tock Anal, tick tock...

17830[/snapback]

*Bump*

Tick tock…

18027[/snapback]

Andy Johnson??

17830[/snapback]

*Bump*

Tick tock…

18027[/snapback]

There's nothing about a new striker in the Chronicle today, at least not on icNewcastle. A couple of stories about Owen, but nothing new really. This falls into the Brett Emerton category.