CD-ROM issues

Craig

I have an Optiplex GX520 which I have recently upgraded to Windows Vista Business Edition (32-bit).

Since I have, I've had problems reading from the CD-ROM and in fact, Explorer doesn't recognise it although both the BIOS and Device Manager does.

The drive in question is a TSSTcorp CDRW/DVD TSL462C ATA Device. When I view it in the Device Manager, it's marked as having a conflict (yellow exclamation mark) and when I look at the device status, it reports:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

I click the "Check for Solutions" button and the machine searches the net for a driver update. Then a couple of seconds later, finishes its search.

I've also gone to the driver tab and clicked Update Driver and asked it to search online but all it reports back is:

The best driver software for your device is already installed

Windows has determined that the driver software is up to date:

CD-ROM Drive

Yet when I check back in Device Manager, the conflict is still there and I'm still unable to see my CD-ROM drive in Windows Explorer.

Anyone got any ideas where to look? I've tried the Dell Technical Support Drivers and Downloads but there doesn't appear to be a firmware flash for that particular device when I enter my Service Tag (859302J)

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Guest Patrokles

Have you tried removing it from device manager and having windows scan for new hardware? I don't know anything about how Vista does it, though.

Yep - first thing I did after that was delete it and then re-scan. it basically found the same driver in the System32 folder with the same conflict :icon_lol:

Try posting on here: http://thevistaforums.com

They came back with some quick advice. Firstly updating the firmware - have done so and no joy.

Secondly using the Dell Diagnostics to test the drive which appears to be successful. Seems like the device, its firmware and the BIOS is fine - it's the Windows driver which is screwed.

"loving Vista, having no problems whatsoever. Keeping clear of SQL for a while, but everything else is working a treat"

That's what you said the other day Craig. Did you forget to check your hardware? :D

That's what I don't get - I had no conflicts back then and the driver was not corrupt :panic:

Probably installed something that's screwed it up :(

"loving Vista, having no problems whatsoever. Keeping clear of SQL for a while, but everything else is working a treat"

That's what you said the other day Craig. Did you forget to check your hardware? :D

That's what I don't get - I had no conflicts back then and the driver was not corrupt :panic:

Probably installed something that's screwed it up :(

If you're on MSN tomorrow I'll talk you through something which may fix it.

By the way, you heard from Hugh yet?

Should be around at some point - am home with the kids this week.

And nope, not heard a thing yet - will chase him.

sounds like a jumper problem to me,try moving the jumper around and keep checking

It's not, because the drive is working before it gets into Windows, and is seen by Windows anyway.

The problem is a driver conflict (or corrupt driver anyway)

I'm strongly beginning to suspect a Windows Fuck Up!

Bring on Service Pack 1 - I've even installed all the fixes related to it (known issue apparently) and no joy.