Are you a Newcastle fan?

Matty

I smell a scouser tbh.

tired old cliches trotted out when Newcastle fans aren't enjoying football at the moment.

very obvious, very lazy and not particularly funny.

he could have just as easily wrote about Man U fans coming form Essex, eating prawn sandwiches, never having step foot in Old Trafford. It would have been equally unfunny and lazy.

it's the kind of shite I'd expect from a "funny scouser", an "Arrogant Gooner", a "bitter Toffee" etc. etc. etc.

and AF, while I agree that Newcastle fans mock the club but defend it ruthlessly when it's attacked by others I'd say that was true for every club, I've yet to meet a football fan who merrily joins in slating his own club unless he's in "safe" company. I don't know about others but I support Newcastle not because it's a release/escape from lack of opportunities, but simply because at the end of the day, it's a fantastic way to vent frustration, share joy, experience a myraid of feelings safe in the knowledge that, "at the end of the day" it doesn't really matter in the scheme of things.

You could apply your points to every other club in the premiership, and as such I have to question why you raised them without that caveat?

You could apply your points to every other club in the premiership, and as such I have to question why you raised them without that caveat?

I hear ya...similarly, we can all slag off our families and friends but if an outsider joins in..... ;)

Like it or not, stereotypes are based in fact. There is a real soopafan fringe that does all the bipolar hero/villain stuff and the media lap it up...

Several people here have mentioned the fact that we'd be laughing at other clubs and we all do it, so we must accept when the pisstaking comes our way. I was just pointing out that IMO, our chairman encourages the more embarrassing behaviour by courting that particular demographic.

I read the thing and didnt even crack a smile, I've got no problem with people taking the piss but frankly it was just piss poor. If he'd managed to make summit funny up then I'd have seen the joke.

3: There is an enormous pride in the club and the area...unfortunately, I believe this stems from a lack of opportunity for many people who associate with the club as a break from their own problems.

As for AFs contribution, I dont have many gripes with it apart from the bit above, the belief that this city is one full of unemployment and low wage/ opportunity is one made by people without any clue. Newcastle is one of the most up and coming places in the country. many companies relocate here as they know the workforce are keen and the quality of life way ahead of the likes of Lahndahn, Liverpool etc.

Old stereotypes made by someone who, while living here still believes the old Auf Weidersehen patter.

I read the thing and didnt even crack a smile, I've got no problem with people taking the piss but frankly it was just piss poor. If he'd managed to make summit funny up then I'd have seen the joke.

3: There is an enormous pride in the club and the area...unfortunately, I believe this stems from a lack of opportunity for many people who associate with the club as a break from their own problems.

As for AFs contribution, I dont have many gripes with it apart from the bit above, the belief that this city is one full of unemployment and low wage/ opportunity is one made by people without any clue. Newcastle is one of the most up and coming places in the country. many companies relocate here as they know the workforce are keen and the quality of life way ahead of the likes of Lahndahn, Liverpool etc.

Old stereotypes made by someone who, while living here still believes the old Auf Weidersehen patter.

It is on the up and I'm very pleased too....hence the more "enlightened" fans who are asking questions of the current board.... ;)

In what way is the quality of life better than that enjoyed in Liverpool. I'll throw in a half ;) with that - both cities suffer from huge problems, and really the quality of life probably isn't that good unless you're lucky enough to be fairly well off.

Shit article btw.

Harsh but fair.

;)

How can something be Harsh and Fair?

Simon Cowell? :D

...Like it or not, as a semi outsider I maybe have an advantage at knowing what people think of <_< outside "the goldfish bowl" <_<

My take on it:

1: Far too much gets made here of "London Bias".... anyone who's lived in London would know it's not that London has any vendetta against anywhere, it's just insular. My Northumbrian neighbour thinks all Londoners spend their day thinking about how they can get one over the "country folk"...In truth they don't give a toss, they're worried about crime, terrorism and parking...

2: As a city, Newcastle has a schitzophrenic view of itself...it wants to laugh at itself but it doesn't like it when people don't take it seriously.

I'm not having a pop, but there is a comedic element which I think holds the club back. The pie boy is playing to the wrong fans. The fact that an internationally respected "local lad" (SBR) is out in the cold says a lot about where we have gone wrong as a club.

1) No Londoners worry about themselves and wouldnt cross the road to piss on a pensioner if they were on fire.

2) Newcastle as a city can and does laugh at itself and will laugh along with anyone one else making good observations about the area. What this prick did was take the basest stereotypes and poke fun at them. If he said Leicester city fans all smell of curry he would be handed his balls in a sling. Still will if any of us meet the fucker.

3) When was the last time you were here? Do you think we are all unemployed flat cap wearing ex miners and shipbuilders. Newcastle is a booming city of culture. We just love football and love our club. We also rightly love our city which is one of the best looking and most friendly cities in the world (see my answer to number 1).

Harsh but fair.

;)

How can something be Harsh and Fair?

Simon Cowell? :D

...Like it or not, as a semi outsider I maybe have an advantage at knowing what people think of :rolleyes: outside "the goldfish bowl" <_<

My take on it:

1: Far too much gets made here of "London Bias".... anyone who's lived in London would know it's not that London has any vendetta against anywhere, it's just insular. My Northumbrian neighbour thinks all Londoners spend their day thinking about how they can get one over the "country folk"...In truth they don't give a toss, they're worried about crime, terrorism and parking...

2: As a city, Newcastle has a schitzophrenic view of itself...it wants to laugh at itself but it doesn't like it when people don't take it seriously.

I'm not having a pop, but there is a comedic element which I think holds the club back. The pie boy is playing to the wrong fans. The fact that an internationally respected "local lad" (SBR) is out in the cold says a lot about where we have gone wrong as a club.

1) No Londoners worry about themselves and wouldnt cross the road to piss on a pensioner if they were on fire.

2) Newcastle as a city can and does laugh at itself and will laugh along with anyone one else making good observations about the area. What this prick did was take the basest stereotypes and poke fun at them. If he said Leicester city fans all smell of curry he would be handed his balls in a sling. Still will if any of us meet the fucker.

3) When was the last time you were here? Do you think we are all unemployed flat cap wearing ex miners and shipbuilders. Newcastle is a booming city of culture. We just love football and love our club. We also rightly love our city which is one of the best looking and most friendly cities in the world (see my answer to number 1).

<_<:yes:rolleyes:

If AF ever turns up at a piss-up I'm going to lace him like ;)

Edit: And as someone who takes quite an interest in art and things, Newcastle is a cultural wasteland tbh. It's improving with places like the revamped Laing, the Baltic (which could be a lot better imo) and it does have an underground scene based around places like Byker / Ouseburn but it has a hell of a long way to go in that regard.

Edited by alex

If AF ever turns up at a piss-up I'm going to lace him like :D

Edit: And as someone who takes quite an interest in art and things, Newcastle is a cultural wasteland tbh. It's improving with places like the revamped Laing, the Baltic (which could be a lot better imo) and it does have an underground scene based around places like Byker / Ouseburn but it has a hell of a long way to go in that regard.

Huh? ;)

I haven't said a single disparaging thing about the place...just the fact that there are a very vocal minority who the media pick up on and characterise as an average Newcastle Utd fan.

Huh? ;)

I haven't said a single disparaging thing about the place...just the fact that there are a very vocal minority who the media pick up on and characterise as an average Newcastle Utd fan.

I was joking, it was my pastiche of northern Neantherthal man. I agree with most of what you say really. I still think the article is a shocker though.

Btw: I'll buy you a shandy if you turn up to one, you southern ponce!

Huh? ;)

I was joking, it was my pastiche of northern Neantherthal man. I agree with most of what you say really. I still think the article is a shocker though.

Btw: I'll buy you a shandy if you turn up to one, you southern ponce!

Maybe one of these days... <_<:yes

It's a great area :rolleyes: I'd much rather live here than London <_<

Huh? ;)

Aye, and then every so often some unfunny lazy bastid digs up these same tired stereotypes, like this fucker has. If it was something new and a bit inventive then I probably would have taken it as a joke. When it's the same shit you've heard a million times written in a patronising 'aren't I original and clever' mode a la this dickhead...then no...I don't find it funny like.

Seriously though, we should just rise above it. This is exactly the reaction that the guy wanted.

Btw, the types of people I'd like to be used as stereotypes to represent Newcastle now would be charver dole scum and clueless middle class Jesmond intelligentia (and students), and yes probably the "toon army". All have some basis in reality.

Remember when that American artist came over and got everyone to do that 'Naked city' thing??

It was covered on BBC3 and i ended up watching the repeat too and both times i heard the presenter say that 'more art is bought for the home in the north east of england than anywhere else in europe'.

I was a little astounded by this but can anyone corroborate that a) I did hear that and b ) whether its true??

It would be a nice comeback to any cultural snobbery....

Edited by ChezGiven

Remember when that American artist came over and got everyone to do that 'Naked city' thing??

It was covered on BBC3 and i ended up watching the repeat too and both times i heard the presenter say that 'more art is bought for the home in the north east of england than anywhere else in europe'.

I was a little astounded by this but can anyone corroborate that a) I did hear that and b ) whether its true??

It's true. Unfortunately, a lot of this 'art' statistic is in fact due to Jimbo's annual fuck mag subscriptions!!

It's meaningless though. Does it include Princess Diana figurines for instance?

Newcastle is still a cultural desert. The Baltic might look nice but rarely has anything in it worth seeing. What else is there - the Laing? Musically we have the venues but not the musicians. Outside of heavy industry, and maybe humour, I can't help think we aren't a very creative lot, and we shouldn't pretend we are.

I hope your interest went beyond the prurient Chez. And at least spell intelligentsia right Renton :lol:

Of course it did, it was merely fortuitous that the girls from Walker that the programme followed through the day had great norks.

Why is it meaningless Renton? It has to be based on something...

I hope your interest went beyond the prurient Chez. And at least spell intelligentsia right Renton :lol:

Of course it did, it was merely fortuitous that the girls from Walker that the programme followed through the day had great norks.

Why is it meaningless Renton? It has to be based on something...

Not necessarily, in fact I can't imagine where those stats have come from.

I'm also just questioning whether those mass produced figurines seen in Collectibles qualify as art? Outside of Jesmond, I reckon hardly any real art is bought.

I like the Biscuit factory personally, but there's no way I can afford the original painting there, so I get prints. Does that count?

Well, it's improving imo and there is a decent theatre scene, even though that's not my bag really. Also, the Biscuit Factory is the biggest original art store in Britain. The music scene has improved of late too. The revamped Laing is pretty good too I reckon. As I said before though, there is a long way to go but the joint Newcastle / Gateshead initiative is making steps in the right direction. Also, one of my favourite places to go is The Side Gallery down the Quayside, but I'm a big fan of photography. The Baltic pisses me off as it is a superb space for art and the exhibitions there could be so much better and have a far greater appeal to the general public. I think we are quite creative but I don't think the funding has always been there in the past and we're always playing catch-up with cities with more of a tradition in the arts.

Well, it's improving imo and there is a decent theatre scene, even though that's not my bag really. Also, the Biscuit Factory is the biggest original art store in Britain. The music scene has improved of late too. The revamped Laing is pretty good too I reckon. As I said before though, there is a long way to go but the joint Newcastle / Gateshead initiative is making steps in the right direction. Also, one of my favourite places to go is The Side Gallery down the Quayside, but I'm a big fan of photography. The Baltic pisses me off as it is a superb space for art and the exhibitions there could be so much better and have a far greater appeal to the general public. I think we are quite creative but I don't think the funding has always been there in the past and we're always playing catch-up with cities with more of a tradition in the arts.

Maybe. I'll have to check out The Side Gallery, probably right next to where I work and I've never been there.

The Side Gallery is just small, it's in The Side which is past the Crown Possada and before Red House (on the same side of the road). It's local photographers and/or photographs of the local area that are on display. I think it's open every day. It has a good book/poster shop too. It's worth popping in to see what's on from time to time.