Film and music Piracy.

Kevin Carr's Gloves

Although I am not advocating it. Does anyone else get annoyed with the adverts saying everyone who does it are funding the terrorist networks and drug dealers? My main point on this would be that I always thought drug dealing was self funding. That's the whole point isn't it. I am pretty sure the drug dealers I know of don't have part time jobs to make sure they have enough money coming in so they can keep the price of the drug's down.

Although I am not advocating it. Does anyone else get annoyed with the adverts saying everyone who does it are funding the terrorist networks and drug dealers? My main point on this would be that I always thought drug dealing was self funding. That's the whole point isn't it. I am pretty sure the drug dealers I know of don't have part time jobs to make sure they have enough money coming in so they can keep the price of the drug's down.

I think it might be the case of people who are on the drugs selling pirate dvd's to fund their habit.

It annoys me the way they put it on genuine DVDs and then don't allow you to fast-forward through it. And yeah, I doubt the bloke selling them out the boot of his car in the pub carpark has any imminent suicide bombings planned.

Kind of a moot point when we're all getting it free now, maybe we're using up bandwidth that could be used to catch terrorists? Maybe Osama's hiding behind the bits of data? ;)

The film and music industries are filled with bigger scumbags than the drug industry. F.A.C.T.

I never download movies. For some reason I imagine the film companies are more likely to get you for it. ;)

Are the ones that you download decent quality anyway, or are they all shit pirates filmed by someone sat in the pictures?

I never download movies. For some reason I imagine the film companies are more likely to get you for it. ;)

Are the ones that you download decent quality anyway, or are they all shit pirates filmed by someone sat in the pictures?

Only ever downloaded Nacho Libre and it has put me off doing it for life.

It annoys me the way they put it on genuine DVDs and then don't allow you to fast-forward through it.

I really hate that too. On Sunday I had quite a lazy day and ended up watching a load of DVDs (ones that I've bought over the years) and got really irritated by all of these messages.

I know a few people who get hold of pirate DVDs and whilst the quality on some of them are good (usually ones that have been released for award committees etc) some of them are ropey as fuck with the sound totally out of sync with the film or people standing up/coughing/CLAPPING(gay) in the cinema. They're alright to watch like as I could never be arsed to download a film and I don't often want to see something enough to shell out £6+ at the cinema.

If I were to be downloading movies :lol: I would check a site that let me know the quality before downloading. The dodgy ones your talking about are called CAMs, but you can also get TeleCines, DVDScreeners and DVDRips, which are all very high quality (like the Lost downloads), allegedly.

It annoys me the way they put it on genuine DVDs and then don't allow you to fast-forward through it.

I really hate that too. On Sunday I had quite a lazy day and ended up watching a load of DVDs (ones that I've bought over the years) and got really irritated by all of these messages.

Thirded. If I BUY a film/dvd I want it to go straight to the main menu, no fucking about.

I love my "Friends" dvds, with all of them it's the same, you pop in the disc switch it on, the Warner Bros logo does its thing (lasts 5 seconds and you can fast forward it) and then there's the main menu.

If I were to be downloading movies :lol: I would check a site that let me know the quality before downloading. The dodgy ones your talking about are called CAMs, but you can also get TeleCines, DVDScreeners and DVDRips, which are all very high quality (like the Lost downloads), allegedly.

www.vcdquality.com

The quality varies massively, but as long as you accept what you are getting it's great. 'A friend of mine' has just acquired a remade Bond film that is good enough tbh.

www.vcdquality.com

The quality varies massively, but as long as you accept what you are getting it's great. 'A friend of mine' has just acquired a remade Bond film that is good enough tbh.

Exactly the site I was talking about, allegedly. :D

Couldn't really give a shite over here. I researched the various available software for that purpose a while back, and the conclusion I reached was that while downloading music/films might get me on to some list I didn't want to be on, using that software would definitely get me on someone's list.

Whichever way you look at it, downloading music from P2P sites is theft.

The issue is whether its good or bad for small up and coming bands or niche artists. If not, then its a bad thing imo.

Couldnt give a shit if established artisits miss out tbh.

The internet in general has been massively beneficial to the small artists, what illegal music downloads has done is tougher to say, but overall it means they will be better off, but may have to gig for their cash.

I think it will become beneficial to up and coming film artists in the next couple of years, but their revenue streams will be more limited; probably advertising.

Fair points Oba but a friend of mine who makes house music and publishes all sorts of stuff says he reckons he loses out on 60-70% of his sales due to illegal downloads and filesharing. Its just an educated guess as he can not measure it. After a WMC in Miami where he was promoting a new record, nearly everyone he met in his area of music in the next few months all had a copy or had heard it from someone who had. Great on the one hand but all lost sales. Doesnt help with mortgage payments.

As for film its got to be a good thing if it grows the market for film-makers. No other way it can help overall that i can see.

I think the impact on distribution for film makers is a much bigger issue. It takes away the power from a small minority, but leaves them needing to find ways to make their money.

The internet has been an astonishingly positive thing for musicians, the industry has always been the biggest problem according to the artists themselves, now they may just have to get paid to play. The ability to record yourself and sell millions of copies is a relatively small part of the history of music and it's earning potential.