The toon's best restaurants

ChezGiven

Was me Dad's birthday the other day and i am back in Newcastle for a few days this weekend, going to the match etc and wanted to take the folks out somewhere good on saturday night (feeling guilty, not seen them since last christmas).

Would any of you fine people like to recommend somewhere good? I know the place at the top of the Baltic is meant to be good but i reckon that'll be fully booked.

Any suggestions?

Edited by ChezGiven

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of thing? The one at the Live Theatre is nice btw, but I think that's the same people as Cafe 21.

Good food, good wine, good service, not too bothered about price.

Also not too full of young uns (ages are late 50s and early 60's).

Cafe 21, on the quayside??

Resident restaurant ponce Renton is on holiday this week so I'm afraid you've picked a bad time to ask this one.

Was just about to post something similar. We could have all made our suggestions, then he could have turned his nose up at them for being 'plebby'.

Think you're right about the one at the Baltic Chez, it always used to be booked way in advance.

Resident restaurant ponce Renton is on holiday this week so I'm afraid you've picked a bad time to ask this one.

Was just about to post something similar. We could have all made our suggestions, then he could have turned his nose up at them for being 'plebby'.

Think you're right about the one at the Baltic Chez, it always used to be booked way in advance.

Is he that bad?

Is he that bad?

He's like a slightly chubbier version of Michael Winner.

Is he that bad?

See the gastropubs thread from last week.

What kind of thing? The one at the Live Theatre is nice btw, but I think that's the same people as Cafe 21.

Aye both that place and the Live Theatre one are on the Quayside. Actually, I'm a bad person to ask as I'm a veggie.

Is he that bad?

I thought I was Michael Winner? Or is that just anyone who makes HTT feel a bit dim.

Is he that bad?

Money no object

Biscuit Factory

Oldfields

Apartment

Low budget

Taste of persia

Pannis nightime menu

popolo

Is he that bad?

"I'll have the paté de foie gras to start then the roast pheasant topped with truffles and artichoke hearts .... and a Double Decker"

Is he that bad?

"I'll have the paté de foie gras to start then the roast pheasant topped with truffles and artichoke hearts .... and a Double Decker"

:D What was that off again?

Aye both that place and the Live Theatre one are on the Quayside. Actually, I'm a bad person to ask as I'm a veggie.

My dad doesnt like seafood either and a site on the web says its that and veggie..

Is he that bad?

:D What was that off again?

One of the better characters from Little Britain.

He once ordered a curly-wurly too...

Francescas in Jesmond used to be great, dunno what it's like now.

Living Room is nice, but exspensive, Bar Luga does some nice food....

apart from that Est Est Est, La Tasca and that curry place on Pudding Shair.. can't remember it's name.

Francescas in Jesmond used to be great, dunno what it's like now.

Living Room is nice, but exspensive, Bar Luga does some nice food....

apart from that Est Est Est, La Tasca and that curry place on Pudding Shair.. can't remember it's name.

Francesca's is still spot on, but you still can't book and just have to queue. Est, Est, Est is just another chain-type place imo.

Edited by alex

The one I usually recommend is La Riviera opposite Buffalo Joes on the quayside.

Great food, great wines, good service and good atmosphere. Not the cheapest but its worth paying the little extra.

The Baltic is nice and I thought the food at Appartment was excellent but of course your in a busy bar so you get the noise from that.

Paradiso above Popolo is excellent and the new one next door (Seco) should be good as it's owned by the same family but I've never ate there.

If you like Chinese, Mandalay in Jesmond is superb.

The Black Door is supposed to be good and they now have on at the Biscuit Factory too.

The Barn Again have now moved to Jesmond but they used to be good at the biscuit factory too.

I really like Azuri for an Italian.

Oh and Malmaison was one of the best meals I've ever had when I went there. We spent a small fortune on wine too all of which was superb.