Wood you believe it?

Scottish Mag

Newcastle are planning an audacious bid to steal Jonathan Woodgate from under the noses of Middlesbrough next summer.

Former United defender Woodgate is on a year-long loan at Boro from Real Madrid, with the two clubs having agreed on a fee - believed to be £5 million - to make the deal permanent at the end of the season.

But sources in Madrid have revealed that Newcastle have made it known they will be willing to match that price if Woodgate stays largely injury-free for the next five months.

And the Magpies believe that a fit Woodgate would be reluctant to commit his future to Boro unless the club's league position dramatically improves.

Newcastle sold Woodgate to Madrid for £13.4 million in August 2004 amid concerns over his long-term fitness.

The 26-year-old has been sidelined during much of the interim, but his early impact at Boro has impressed both England coach Steve McClaren and United boss Glenn Roeder.

Meanwhile, Villarreal's move for United striker Albert Luque rests on whether they can agree a deal for their top attacking target, Malaga's Salva Ballesta.

Real Betis are ready to step in if Villarreal snub Luque, with Valencia having also expressed an interest.

Ok, it wasn't Kuijt, but....

Newcastle will bid £2m for Mark Viduka, who only has six months left to run on his Middlesbrough contract. (The People)

;) I heard a Boro fan on 606 last night complaining about him and Yakubu saying he'd give Viduka away so I fully expect us to lodge a £5m bid given that he's on a free in the summer.

Edited by ewerk

And the Magpies believe that a fit Woodgate would be reluctant to commit his future to Boro unless the club's league position dramatically improves.

Yeah, we're only two posistions above them tbh, must make a hell of a difference.

After Roeder's complete failure over the summer, is anyone else dreading the transfer window?

Roeder's comments the other day lead me to think that deals have already been done and come Jan 1 (as they say in 'merica), we will see the players coming in.

I'd take him. No point crying over spilt milk now, we didn't sign him before, but if we have the chance of signing him now, then I'd snap their hands off.

I know he's a tendancy to get himself injured combing his hair or something, but even if he plays 20 games a season, he's a stark improvement on the players we've got.

So, we didn't signed Sol Campbell because he's missed a lot of games in the last two seasons, but we're interested in Woodgate. Probably true as Shepherd still gets a hard-on at the mention of his name.