Why is it 80 years since Newcastle last won the title?

Bombadil

having watched this rabble for nearly 50 years I think there are some very good points in there

a telling one is that we have normally only had ONE top REALLY class player (and normally a CF) at SJP at any one time and they have been surrounded by good players at best, journeymen on the whole and some scabarous wastes of space at times

we never had a decent manager until Keegan & SBR (and look at what we've had since) - we blew it when we didn't build on those performances - the Halls couldn't put any more ££££ in, we had to rebuild SJP after almost a century of zero investment in facillities and then we started to slip and couldn't attract the best players and managers

having watched this rabble for nearly 50 years I think there are some very good points in there

a telling one is that we have normally only had ONE top REALLY class player (and normally a CF) at SJP at any one time and they have been surrounded by good players at best, journeymen on the whole and some scabarous wastes of space at times

we never had a decent manager until Keegan & SBR (and look at what we've had since) - we blew it when we didn't build on those performances - the Halls couldn't put any more ££££ in, we had to rebuild SJP after almost a century of zero investment in facillities and then we started to slip and couldn't attract the best players and managers

the obsession with having a number 9 to hero-worship and bollocks to the rest of the team used to drive me nuts. Small time. Amazing but the small time attitude of the club reflected in the fans, people only talked about the bloody cup teams in the 50's, all they wanted was a number 9 like Milburn and be in the top league.

I think Gordon Lee had a different mindset and was ahead of his time for Newcastle. He sold MacDonald and is hated because he sold MacDonald. The team finished 5th without MacDonald. :lol: The fans were realising he was getting it right and he was succeeding but by then the damage was done and he pissed off to Everton because he realised the club ie the board, were small time.

Cox also could have succeeded but they sold him short too. So we subsequently lost Waddle, Gazza and Beardsley.

Keegan input Liverpool type philosophy in that he set his sights high and focussed on the whole team. He showed us what it is like to do this and how much better it is to believe you can beat these other top clubs and not just play them. Before that the club and a lot of fans were happy just to be in the top league, fcuking amazing, I have no time for showboaters such as Arsprilla and I hated Jinky Jim Smith he is everything I hate in Newcastle players. On one occasion he nutmegged George Best or somebody like him and they raved about it, but we lost the game and it was the only fcuking kick he had. Everything changed for the better from this time ie Keegan as manager. It still pisses me off when they talk about this Newcastle number 9 syndrome, personality players, showboaters etc and suggest that this is what we want.......some people might, but IMO its nothing but utter bollocks.

But Leazes, don't you think that is still very much Shepherd's mentality? Look at the way he goes on about Owen all the time, it seems to be a similar thing. We've spent more than most clubs in the league over the last ten years, but we've blown most of the money on big names who, ultimately, have won us nothing.

And the way he's trying to run a multi-million pound business like a cultural heritage club, his obsession with all things Geordie, isn't that small-time, too?

But Leazes, don't you think that is still very much Shepherd's mentality? Look at the way he goes on about Owen all the time, it seems to be a similar thing. We've spent more than most clubs in the league over the last ten years, but we've blown most of the money on big names who, ultimately, have won us nothing.

And the way he's trying to run a multi-million pound business like a cultural heritage club, his obsession with all things Geordie, isn't that small-time, too?

when does he "go on about Owen all the time" ?

Name me these "big name players" who have won us nothing, because the only one I can think of is in fact Owen, and I would like to have seen the reaction if we had replaced Shearer with someone of the calibre of Johnathon Stead ?

The Geordie Nation stuff that he comes out with was also said by Sir John Hall, but that was alright, why ?

Also, I consider the talking up of the club by Shepherd to be no more daft than the same things people say on message boards who also think the club have a divine right to win trophies which is what Shepherd says.

The best thing you could do is just take no notice and realise nobody laughs at them like you think they do, unless you think message boards are the real world. Because I can tell you that I meet many supporters of many clubs, most of them are envious of the players we buy and regularly playing in europe and aren't interested in the slightest what Fred says. The time to moan is when he stops supporting and backing his managers, and hopefully the next board don't have that approach.

when does he "go on about Owen all the time" ?

Name me these "big name players" who have won us nothing, because the only one I can think of is in fact Owen, and I would like to have seen the reaction if we had replaced Shearer with someone of the calibre of Johnathon Stead ?

The Geordie Nation stuff that he comes out with was also said by Sir John Hall, but that was alright, why ?

Also, I consider the talking up of the club by Shepherd to be no more daft than the same things people say on message boards who also think the club have a divine right to win trophies which is what Shepherd says.

The best thing you could do is just take no notice and realise nobody laughs at them like you think they do, unless you think message boards are the real world. Because I can tell you that I meet many supporters of many clubs, most of them are envious of the players we buy and regularly playing in europe and aren't interested in the slightest what Fred says. The time to moan is when he stops supporting and backing his managers, and hopefully the next board don't have that approach.

leazes - shepherd is ridiculed across the country by supporters of all clubs. get over it.

SJH did rattle on about the Geordie Nation. He never got caught in a brothel calling Geordie women dogs whilst taking the piss out of the fans he was ripping off though :lol:

SJH did rattle on about the Geordie Nation. He never got caught in a brothel calling Geordie women dogs whilst taking the piss out of the fans he was ripping off though :lol:

He also turned an club that was on the verge of bankruptcy into the second best in the country within 4½ years.

Under Shepherd however the fortunes appear to be moving in the opposite direction...

He also turned an club that was on the verge of bankruptcy into the second best in the country within 4½ years.

Under Shepherd however the fortunes appear to be moving in the opposite direction...

no, I would say Keegan did that.

And until the scottish fuckpig, we were still doing well. It will take time.

Appointed by the geordie fatpig.

Being a tad harsh on yourself Gemmill, unless you've really ben stuffing yourself with pies again since Christmas.

Being a tad harsh on yourself Gemmill, unless you've really ben stuffing yourself with pies again since Christmas.

I don't know how you dare. Making Shepherd look like Twiggy is your game tbh. :icon_lol:

I don't know how you dare. Making Shepherd look like Twiggy is your game tbh. :icon_lol:

I didn't appoint Souness though, remember?

how ironic that leazesmag makes no defence of shepherd in his appointment of souness.

souness is a dreadful manager - we all knew that before he took the job - but it was fat fred that appointed him, when few other sane chairmen would. what does that say about shepherd?

how ironic that leazesmag makes no defence of shepherd in his appointment of souness.

souness is a dreadful manager - we all knew that before he took the job - but it was fat fred that appointed him, when few other sane chairmen would. what does that say about shepherd?

£50 on a response along the lines of... "one bad appointment doesn't make a bad chairman"

:lol: