Global Warming

wykikitoon

One of my ideas on this is that the planet itself is trying to correct 'over-warming'. The increase in volcanic and other intense climactic activity is its own recourse.

I don't like saying this cause people then start thinking it is ok to carry on the way we are.

:lol:

Parky rubbishes science then puts forward his own theories, based on heaven only knows. ;)

Actually he sounds like he is describing the Gaia hypothesis, I was unaware he was the first to think of it mind. But what I think is really funny is that he is so self important he reckons his opinions may have some kind of global consequence! :blush:

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my ideas on this is that the planet itself is trying to correct 'over-warming'. The increase in volcanic and other intense climactic activity is its own recourse.

I don't like saying this cause people then start thinking it is ok to carry on the way we are.

Parky rubbishes science then puts forward his own theories, based on heaven only knows. :D

Actually he sounds like he is describing the Gaia hypothesis, I was unaware he was the first to think of it mind. But what I think is really funny is that he is so self important he reckons his opinions may have some kind of global consequence! :blush:

I've heard of the Gaia thing, i.e. the Earth as a living entity. Just not that it's increasing volcanic activity to cool itself down. Why doesn't it just move a bit further from the Sun though? ;)

Editted: Not quite as spaz-tastic now.

Edited by alex

Parky rubbishes science then puts forward his own theories, based on heaven only knows. :D

I heard of the Gaia thing, i.e. the Earth as a living entity. Just not that it's increasing volcanic activity to cool itself down. Why doesn't it just move a bit further from the Sun bit though? ;)

The sun took its hat off and its geet big balding pate made mother earth get hot flushes tbh.

Parky rubbishes science then puts forward his own theories, based on heaven only knows. :blush:

trees, elves speak to him .... god knows

Wow!!

You lot have been busy.

One thing you seem to have established is that none of you are climatologists, well neither am I, but I do know one - an Atmospheric Chemist - and she's very worried about climate change. She is certain that it will have very significant effects within our life-times.

Over population is the problem and unless that is either brought under control, stemmed or dare I say it culled, things are just going to get worse and worse in my opinion. I think the damage that has been done and is being caused is irreversible and mankind's focus now needs to switch to adapting to the ever changing climates instead of trying to fix things or in our case, fuck things up further.

Anyway the planet will have the final say on this matter as it always has done, she can cope with anything, ice ages, asteroids, polution, overpopulation - the lot. We can't though and in a way it is kind of ironic that it won't be the planet that gets it, but us.

Us and the poor animals that share the planet with us, which is the biggest shame of all.

Over population is the problem and unless that is either brought under control, stemmed or dare I say it culled, things are just going to get worse and worse in my opinion. I think the damage that has been done and is being caused is irreversible and mankind's focus now needs to switch to adapting to the ever changing climates instead of trying to fix things or in our case, fuck things up further.

Anyway the planet will have the final say on this matter as it always has done, she can cope with anything, ice ages, asteroids, polution, overpopulation - the lot. We can't though and in a way it is kind of ironic that it won't be the planet that gets it, but us.

Us and the poor animals that share the planet with us, which is the biggest shame of all.

That is the truth.

I use "MY" and "people carry on as before" earlier in the loosest sense. Please don't imagine for a minute that I am some kind of self-aggrandising berk.....Oh wait... :lol:

I have been known to play up. ;)

"A Volcanic Connection

Using computer models of the complex relationship between the Earth and the sun, researchers have learned the extent to which volcanic activity plays a role in cooling things down. This may seem counterintuitive. Volcanoes, after all, spew thousands of tons of CO2, the very same gas that contributes to the greenhouse effect. Thomas Crowley, of Duke University in Durham, N.C., told a press conference organized by the AGU that volcanic activity actually tends to lower temperatures. Why? Because high-altitude aerosols reflect sunlight away from the surface. "Beginning in 1980 there was a change in the frequency of eruptions," he pointed out. They markedly increased."

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/re...ch/1282246.html

Wow!!

You lot have been busy.

One thing you seem to have established is that none of you are climatologists, well neither am I, but I do know one - an Atmospheric Chemist - and she's very worried about climate change. She is certain that it will have very significant effects within our life-times.

well ask her what she thinks about the Horizon thing about global dimming

Wow!!

You lot have been busy.

I did at the time I think and posted what she said in the thread on N-O, can't remember what she said though, think it was along the lines of it's effect not being strong enough to counteract global warming anyway. Also, there's much more to climate change than simply global warming, which isn't affected by global dimming at all. I'll have a hunt through N-O and if I can find the post I'll copy it on here for you.

Don't really want to ask her again because she's my brother's ex and they only split up recently.

Wow!!

You lot have been busy.

arent all horizon programmes built on the same template?:

Suggest a crackpot theory as if it is true.

supply "evidence"

say how it will help the world, or what it means to history etc...

the typical "but wait!..." moment, where evidence is brought about to contest the theory

evidence brings crackpot theory crashing down

ends on note that crackpot theorist has been living in a mental hospital for past 15 years, and his theories were never considered more than bullshit by anyone

leaves you having built you up, thinking that a cure for cancer was weeks around the corner, then smashs you down again :lol:

excellent programme though ;)

Wow!!

You lot have been busy.

I did at the time I think and posted what she said in the thread on N-O, can't remember what she said though, think it was along the lines of it's effect not being strong enough to counteract global warming anyway. Also, there's much more to climate change than simply global warming, which isn't affected by global dimming at all. I'll have a hunt through N-O and if I can find the post I'll copy it on here for you.

Don't really want to ask her again because she's my brother's ex and they only split up recently.

doesn't sound right, as it's not counteracting warming, it's making it less of an effect, i.e if global dimming were not happening, global warming would be worse

Wow!!

You lot have been busy.

doesn't sound right, as it's not counteracting warming, it's making it less of an effect, i.e if global dimming were not happening, global warming would be worse

Same difference.

Anyway, were we talking about that in the "Hawking says we need another planet" thread or what? Can't remember which one it was.

Wow!!

You lot have been busy.

Same difference.

errr. no it isn't

Anyway, were we talking about that in the "Hawking says we need another planet" thread or what? Can't remember which one it was.

no idea

Wow!!

You lot have been busy.

Same difference.

errr. no it isn't

no idea

coun·ter·act (koun'tər-ākt')

tr.v. coun·ter·act·ed, coun·ter·act·ing, coun·ter·acts

To oppose and mitigate the effects of by contrary action; check.

Can't find the thread and I've been back as far as November, bored of looking now, so I'm going to stop.

Wow!!

You lot have been busy.

arent all horizon programmes built on the same template?:

Suggest a crackpot theory as if it is true.

supply "evidence"

say how it will help the world, or what it means to history etc...

the typical "but wait!..." moment, where evidence is brought about to contest the theory

evidence brings crackpot theory crashing down

ends on note that crackpot theorist has been living in a mental hospital for past 15 years, and his theories were never considered more than bullshit by anyone

leaves you having built you up, thinking that a cure for cancer was weeks around the corner, then smashs you down again :lol:

excellent programme though :razz:

;)

Spot on basically.

Wow!!

You lot have been busy.

Same difference.

One I started. :lol:

been windier in the past and snow is late this year - one days weather proves nowt

It scertainly been getting warmer and stormier over the past 15 years ON AVERAGE

been windier in the past and snow is late this year - one days weather proves nowt

It scertainly been getting warmer and stormier over the past 15 years ON AVERAGE

Yeah, that's true.

However, part of the effects of climate change is that we will experience sudden bouts of extreme weather, just like yesterday's. Also, the seasons will become less predictable and the weather more random, although you'd obviously expect some weather like that at this time of year, it might well happen in the middle of summer or at any other time of year. We had some snow last summer, for example.

I was reading the weather stats on the back of the Sunday Times and the top temperature last week was 15 degrees celcius in Aberdeen. That's a canny day up there in June tbh.