So we sack Roeder then...

Howaythetoon

HTT also known as the staus quo man. Fear of change is a debillitating thing HTT. Especially if you keep spouting the shite you are. Roeder is a dreadful football manager. I can say this because his team play dreadful football.

A dreadful manager doing a good job.

A dreadful manager doing a good job as a manager? You what?

He's an average manager somehow doing an unaverage job, in the circumstances. Better?

So to be "good" now you don't have to be in the top half of the league? He's the epitome of an average manager man, stop using meaningless stats from the intertoto cup to big him up.

I've already stated he is an average manager and it seems you agree with me, so what is your point exactly?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HTT also known as the staus quo man. Fear of change is a debillitating thing HTT. Especially if you keep spouting the shite you are. Roeder is a dreadful football manager. I can say this because his team play dreadful football.

He's an average manager somehow doing an unaverage job, in the circumstances. Better?

So to be "good" now you don't have to be in the top half of the league? He's the epitome of an average manager man, stop using meaningless stats from the intertoto cup to big him up.

I've already stated he is an average manager and it seems you agree with me, so what is your point exactly?

OK then, I disagree with you that he's doing a good job, or an unaverage one as you put it. Poor manager doing a worse than average job would be more apt. :baby:

I don't think it's his intended point but I think a point has been made, that some fans insist on instant success and will complain bitterly until there's a trophy being paraded around St James' (a proper one, made out of metal).

They whinge and moan when we're fighting relegation, they whinge and moan when we climb out of danger, they whinge and moan as we start pushing the European places.

It's the kind of attitude that gives me (a very little bit of) sympathy for Shepherd and gives him a small excuse for his terrible record of hiring and firing managers.

I don't think it's his intended point but I think a point has been made, that some fans insist on instant success and will complain bitterly until there's a trophy being paraded around St James' (a proper one, made out of metal).

They whinge and moan when we're fighting relegation, they whinge and moan when we climb out of danger, they whinge and moan as we start pushing the European places.

It's the kind of attitude that gives me (a very little bit of) sympathy for Shepherd and gives him a small excuse for his terrible record of hiring and firing managers.

I think most of want to be challenging for trophies, personally I've given up hope that we will ever win one. And that simply isn't happening right now. If others are happy to be mid table and out the cups then good for them, but personally I regard that prospect as depressing. I don't mind if we fail trying to suceed, but I want us to do everything possible to win somthing and first on the list has to be a top class manager.

I think most of want to be challenging for trophies, personally I've given up hope that we will ever win one. And that simply isn't happening right now. If others are happy to be mid table and out the cups then good for them, but personally I regard that prospect as depressing. I don't mind if we fail trying to suceed, but I want us to do everything possible to win somthing and first on the list has to be a top class manager.

I want to win the lottery but the chances are slim.

No-one wants to buy the club* and no-one wants to manage it. I'm grateful for small mercy's in that the people currently at the club are going the right way with an entire team of our top players yet to come back.

Robson had us up there challenging and people moaned him out of his job too. Never satisfied.

*Though I hear Souness wants to put some money into a club.

From The Daily Mail

Glenn Roeder has left Everton players confused by now claiming that he did not apologise on Emre’s behalf amid accusations that the Newcastle midfielder used racist and abusive language towards Joseph Yobo at Goodison on December 30.

In a statement defending his conduct, Roeder claims he only went into the Everton dressing room after the match to apologise because ‘from my position in the dug-out, there appeared to be an ugly scene on the pitch involving a lot of players from both sides after we had been awarded a penalty’. He he claims he did not know his player had been accused of racial abuse.

While Yobo did not hear what Emre is alleged to have said on the pitch, Everton’s Joleon Lescott and Tim Howard have claimed in written submissions to the FA that the Turkish international called their team-mate a ‘f*****g n****r’.

And yesterday two Everton players told Sportsmail through intermediaries that, after the match, Roeder addressed his dressing-room apology directly to Yobo and they were left in little doubt he was referring to accusations levelled at Emre.

Speaking on behalf of his client, one agent said: ‘It was certainly his impression that Roeder was talking about what Emre had said. He was speaking directly to Yobo and he even put his hand on his shoulder.’

Roeder believed his gesture marked the end of the matter, but the 20-man brawl that was sparked by the incident was reported to the FA by referee Dermot Gallagher and Emre has now been charged. He has until January 29 to respond.

OK then, I disagree with you that he's doing a good job, or an unaverage one as you put it. Poor manager doing a worse than average job would be more apt. :blink:

Fair enough, I disagree though. I think since taking over from Souness first as a caretaker and now as actual manager, he has done a very good job in the main, especially given that he is average to say the least and has had a whole lot of problems to contend with that would have sunk other managers, even better ones than himself. I also like the man and badly want him to succeed, NUFC can be cruel enough, and I'd hate for a good man who has served us well first as a player, then as academy director, caretaker and now manager, to be chewed up and spat out like so many others, not under these circumstances. Had he spent lots of money, had all his first-teamers available to pick from, and we were where we are, then all the moans and groans would be quite valid. Until he can do that, I think he deserves some slack and our patience or at least understanding because he really is doing the best he can with what he has to work with and for a limited manager that's all I can ask of him myself.

OK then, I disagree with you that he's doing a good job, or an unaverage one as you put it. Poor manager doing a worse than average job would be more apt. :blink:

Fair enough, I disagree though. I think since taking over from Souness first as a caretaker and now as actual manager, he has done a very good job in the main, especially given that he is average to say the least and has had a whole lot of problems to contend with that would have sunk other managers, even better ones than himself. I also like the man and badly want him to succeed, NUFC can be cruel enough, and I'd hate for a good man who has served us well first as a player, then as academy director, caretaker and now manager, to be chewed up and spat out like so many others, not under these circumstances. Had he spent lots of money, had all his first-teamers available to pick from, and we were where we are, then all the moans and groans would be quite valid. Until he can do that, I think he deserves some slack and our patience or at least understanding because he really is doing the best he can with what he has to work with and for a limited manager that's all I can ask of him myself.

15 Million quid isn't much money? More than most, he didn't have to blow it all on two players did he? This is why he has no right to complain about the paucity of our squad. I really don't care if the bloke is likable or not, fact is he is not a big enough name to attract the top players and never will be. You're settling for mediocrity imo.

15 Million quid isn't much money? More than most, he didn't have to blow it all on two players did he? This is why he has no right to complain about the paucity of our squad. I really don't care if the bloke is likable or not, fact is he is not a big enough name to attract the top players and never will be. You're settling for mediocrity imo.

He's just being realistic.

But we don't have a top-class manager, this is what gets me. People are expecting better from a manager they believe to be average or worse, shit. So why the high expectations from this shite manager?

After the Man Utd game, some were saying we shouldn't be too pleased because they tore us apart, same with the Spurs game, what are people expecting here?

A bit of realism is needed on those stands.

I want us to be challenging for titles and this season is both depressing and unacceptable, but sometimes you have to concede that we can't always get what we want or be where we believe we should be, and therefore have to accept the situation, as much as it may hurt.

We have an average manager, an average team littered with kids, dead wood and some good players, are in financial strife, have a boardroom that has proven itself inept and the competition around us is strong and improving all the time, this on the back of Souness' mess. To be frank, still being in the UEFA Cup and just a few wins off 6th, is amazing all things considered.

I'd be happy with another top 7 finish, I'd class that as a small achievement and a sign of progress, we are in a position to finish in such a place so I'm generally quite open minded about the whole situation the club finds itself in.

People are able to make themselves a reputation.

If someone does well, people will start believing in them.

I don't don't understand the manic need to see the worst in every situation....I honestly think it's one of the things that puts people off coming here.

Who do we get in? Which top manager in their right mind would come to a club with no money, a trigger happy Chairman and demanding fans, and a whole team out injured, all while stuck in mid-table and halfway through the season.

this from the man who brought you

OTTMAR OTTMAR OTTMAR why wouldn't he come?

fucking hell HTT you've changed your fucking tune

There was no-one more critical of Roeder's transfer dealings in the summer than me, he messed up big time, and is responsible for the squad being ill-prepared to cope with a full league and cup campaign. However, has he complained? I don't think he has, he recognises the injury crisis and the need to sign new players but I don't think he has blamed the paucity of talent or numbers for our woes, has he? Anyway, £15m was never going to be enough, not to replace Faye, Bowyer, Boumsong, Shearer, Owen and Chopra. A sizeable lump of that money was always going to go on a big name striker anyway, as fans were demanding. If it wasn't Martins it was Kuyt, Defoe, Bent or Klose.

He could have made better use of freebies and loan signings of course but what is done is done, and I'm not exactly sure he had much of a say in one or two who were brought in, ala Duff and the McKay boys. As for not being a big enough name to attract the top players, money talks, players don't sign for NUFC because of who the manager is, those days ended with the departure of KK and then SBR, they sign for the money so I have no fears on that front. I remember everyone saying how the best we'll get under Souness was players of the calibre of Dickov et al as no top player would sign for him. Well he was the man who signed Owen who joined us for the money, in reality. Martins signed for Roeder and he was regarded as one of the hottest young strikers in European football.

And you may have forgotten but we have no choice but to accept mediocrity or what we have, unless you're going to storm troop St. James' Park and remove Roeder yourself or the board. You may prefer to piss and moan and over analyse every negative aspect of Roeder's tenure or abilities and that's your prerogative but I prefer to be realistic and excuse an average manager with his hands tied behind his back with the odd Cup upset or difficulty.

I see NUFC for what we are; a medicore club and until we are in a position to attract a better manager to move out of medicority, we have to accept that Roeder is as good as it gets in the meantime and look at the positives which when you DO look at them, far outweigh the negatives and show that he really is doing a good job, given his abilities and the injury crisis that has seen an almost full team out. I'd like to see where Man Utd would be without the majority of their first-team to select from, or if they lost Ronaldo and Rooney their two key players like we have lost ours (Shearer and Owen) in the past year.

We are or were just 3 points behind Spurs who spent big in the summer, bringing in lots of new talent, who haven't had an injury crisis deplete their starting eleven like we have, and that's under Jol who many would rather have here over Roeder.

Just goes to show you how good a job Roeder is doing.

Who do we get in? Which top manager in their right mind would come to a club with no money, a trigger happy Chairman and demanding fans, and a whole team out injured, all while stuck in mid-table and halfway through the season.

How have I changed my tune? The summer was the ideal time to bring in a top manager, not now. We have twice fucked up big opportunities to bring in top-class managers, when SBR got sacked and back in the summer.

How have I changed my tune? The summer was the ideal time to bring in a top manager, not now. We have twice fucked up big opportunities to bring in top-class managers, when SBR got sacked and back in the summer.

you honestly think the club was infinitely more atractive 3 months ago than now?

jesus

you honestly think the club was infinitely more atractive 3 months ago than now?

jesus

Yes, I mean a full team wasn't out injured, we had money to spend, Owen wasn't injured, there was a feelgood factor around the club because of the job Roeder had done as caretaker and a new season of hope was on the horizon.

It is fucking obvious. :blink:

jesus

Yes, I mean a full team wasn't out injured, we had money to spend, Owen wasn't injured, there was a feelgood factor around the club because of the job Roeder had done as caretaker and a new season of hope was on the horizon.

It is fucking obvious. :blink:

so at that time we didn't have a trigger happy chairman or nutty fans?

and as if managers don't come to clubs because they have injuries. You're unreal man

We need to actively find a new manager ASAP.

OK injuries are having a HUGE effect, but the players at Roeder's disposal should be performing above the current standard.

jesus

It is fucking obvious. :angry:

and as if managers don't come to clubs because they have injuries. You're unreal man

and Owen was out before a new manager would have come, so presumably you were referring to the likes of Ameobi and Carr? :blink:

jesus

and Owen was out before a new manager would have come, so presumably you were referring to the likes of Ameobi and Carr? :blink:

Roeder was made our manager BEFORE Owen's injury.

jesus

Roeder was made our manager BEFORE Owen's injury.

I think FF was pressurised into making an appointment because there was some sort of betting scam going on iirc

:angry: