Defensive Problems

rebellious

I was matching match of the day and they stated that we have had something like 19 different back fours this season. Thats nearly every game.

Something they also said was that we have let in something like 18 goals in 7 games.

This got me thinking is Bramble the best defender we have got, not including his lapses. He has been out for 13 games.

13 games without we have conceded 25 goals

13 games prior we have conceded 9 goals

I was matching match of the day and they stated that we have had something like 19 different back fours this season. Thats nearly every game.

Something they also said was that we have let in something like 18 goals in 7 games.

This got me thinking is Bramble the best defender we have got, not including his lapses. He has been out for 13 games.

We've played something like 38 games.

We've played something like 38 games.

Every 2 then :blink: Still not good.

I'd consider giving Bramble a new contract, but the problem with that is he'd always play. He'd be okay as fifth or so choice.

So that makes the defenders that have collectively let in 25 goals 6th,7th,8th and 9th choice. So by your theory we need to buy 4 quality defenders in the summer. Chelsea have even been priced out of quality defenders. I`m starting to think we are going to have to go with the NUFC old style of scoring more than conceeding as it is easier to get quality attacking players than it is to get quality defensive players.

Problem is clearly we don't have the attackers to stop us conceeding goals.

The problem is we're weak at the front and the back (and have numbers but we're not over running with quality in midfield - although we are pretty strong there) and have the money to strenghten NEITHER it seems. :blink:

RB - Solano

CB - Taylor

CB - Moore

LB - Babayaro

Moore is too slow. He is also gone in the summer.

What would your ideal defensive formation be from the players we have?

Its not the only reason we have struggled at the back, but the sheer volume of injuries and the conctant having to change back fours has played a massive part.

If you have 4 pretty average defenders but they play together week in week out they will form an understanding and become more of a unit and will be alot more effective than players who don't know who they'll be playing alonside, or where they'll be playing each week!

If we pick our best back fours there will be differences obviously, but whatever we went for, if they were settled and not constantly changed by injury they would do a better job than what's happened this season.