Out to make an impact

Scottish Mag

A thrilled Oguchi Onyewu last night revealed his determination to win a permanent contract with Newcastle after insisting he has long-term ambitions at St James's Park.

And as Glenn Roeder challenged the 24-year-old to prove he is worth a place in his squad next season, the United boss believes the incentives on offer make it a `win-win' situation for the Tyneside club.

Onyewu is expected to be at this evening's Premiership game against Aston Villa and, although the United States international will play no part against Martin O'Neill's men, his new manager believes his signing will give the Magpies a significant boost. The imposing defender yesterday joined Newcastle on loan from Standard Liege for the remainder of the season as Roeder finally made a breakthrough in the transfer market. And having been told that his future is in his own hands, Onyewu is relishing the chance to get to work in a black-and-white shirt.

"I'm not just here for the short-term - I'm here for the long-term," said a player who knows what he has to do to make his Premiership dreams come true. "It feels great to be here and I'm eager to step in and make an impact with the team.

"There were other possibilities for me but it didn't take long to decide (to join Newcastle) because I realised this was the best career move for me. I know the club's great history and all about the great fans and, although they have not managed to win anything for a long time, I know they are eager to start winning titles and I want to be part of something special here."

The only silverware still available to United this season is the Uefa Cup and, having appeared for his Belgian club in the competition's preliminary stages, Onyewu is ineligible for European action. Instead, the Clemson college star is targeting potential prizes further down the line - but first he must prove his class to Roeder.

"He has got 13 games to prove he's a Premiership player," said the United boss, who intends to include the American in his squad at Fulham this weekend. "He has to prove that he's a player worth keeping and that's why this is such a good deal for us.

"He has hunger and he has something to prove and this is a win-win for us. Standard were looking for a permanent deal straight away and it required a lot of hard work (to secure a loan signing). It has been hard work for a few days because he is Standard Liege's best player."

Onyewu's contract at Stade de Sclessin was due to expire this summer and Standard officials agreed to loan him out only after taking up an option that has extended his deal in Liege for a further 12 months. It is a move that means a transfer fee will have to be paid should Newcastle decide to make the arrangement a permanent one. A fee has not yet been agreed, although the parameters have been discussed.

Roeder believes he cannot lose. Onyewu is untested outside the Belgium's Jupiler League but, should he fail to live up to expectations in England, the signing will only have cost United an undisclosed loan fee described last night as `nominal'.

"A lot of people think he is by no means the finished article and that because he has never played in the Premiership it was a gamble," said a manager confident he has reduced the risks. "But in terms of his size, strength, pace, his ability in the air and because we are desperate for central defenders who win a lot more balls than they lose, it isn't a gamble.

"He's good in the air and that has been a weakness for us this season. I first became aware of him before the World Cup and I became more aware of him during the tournament.

"He played in all of America's games and I thought he did well. He has impressed a lot of people around Europe but he wanted to find a Premiership club he felt he wanted to play for and now he has done that. I'm looking forward to working with him."

Bit of a worry that no fee has been agreed or anything though.

Ah so a fee hasnt been agreed? oh well back to normal.

Nah:

It is a move that means a transfer fee will have to be paid should Newcastle decide to make the arrangement a permanent one. A fee has not yet been agreed, although the parameters have been discussed.

:angry: Parameters ;) will mean fuck all come the summer if they decide to take the piss.

He's out of contract in June, isn't he? Should get him for peanuts, really.

Nope. Read the article man. :angry: He was but they've exercised an option to extend it by 12 months so he has a year remaining on his contract come June which means they have scope to take the piss or take him back.

He's out of contract in June, isn't he? Should get him for peanuts, really.

Nope. Read the article man. :angry: He was but they've exercised an option to extend it by 12 months so he has a year remaining on his contract come June which means they have scope to take the piss or take him back.

Ah right, I was just skim reading, as the Journal/Chronicle has the crazy attributes of copying word for word what appears on the club website ;)

Would make no sense hoying him in tonight tbh. Barely any time to meet or train with his team mates, a mistake or two later, and everyone's assuming he's shit, his confidence suffers, and we knacker him.

Best to at least give him a few days before this happens. :angry:

Mightn't be a bad thing if his first game is away from SJP too.

looks likely that he won't start for a while.

if he comes good we can get that plodder bramble out of the team. bit concerned about the extra 12 months on his contract with the belgians ... if he does turn out to be good i can see us getting screwed for cash we don't really have.

Edited by canofbeans

Guest Patrokles

"A lot of people think he is by no means the finished article and that because he has never played in the Premiership it was a gamble," said a manager confident he has reduced the risks. "But in terms of his size, strength, pace, his ability in the air and because we are desperate for central defenders who win a lot more balls than they lose, it isn't a gamble.

YES PLEASE.