Mascherano free to join Liverpool

Scottish Mag

West Ham midfielder Javier Mascherano has been given special dispensation by Fifa to join Liverpool from West Ham.

Under Fifa's rules, a footballer cannot play competitively for more than two different clubs between 1 July and 30 June the following year.

Mascherano, 22, has already represented Corinthians and West Ham in that time.

But Fifa said: "The Fifa single judge ruled that Javier Mascherano is eligible to play in official matches with Liverpool with immediate effect."

Mascherano arrived at Upton Park with international team-mate Carlos Tevez on 31 August.

But he has played only six minutes since the defeat at Tottenham on 22 October and had been desperate to leave the club.

606 DEBATE: Give your reaction

I cannot for the life of me understand why he hasn't played for West Ham given his quality and their predicament.

If it's some poor trip from "The Brain" because he got the club instead of the guys who manage Mascherano & Tevez then he's an even bigger lunatic than I thought he was.

I cannot for the life of me understand why he hasn't played for West Ham given his quality and their predicament.

If it's some poor trip from "The Brain" because he got the club instead of the guys who manage Mascherano & Tevez then he's an even bigger lunatic than I thought he was.

He has looked a little bit lightweight to be fair, although he's had limited opportunities, to say the least.

He has looked a little bit lightweight to be fair, although he's had limited opportunities, to say the least.

Albert Luque II

Albert Luque II

They both speak Spanish too. Unbelievable! :angry:

Albert Luque II

They both speak Spanish too. Unbelievable! :angry:

Must be something in the paella.

West ham could regret letting him go . he was never given a chance there.

Aye, Rafa could well get the best out of him.

If he does, it gives Liverpool great strength in depth in the middle of the park.

Gerrard, Alonso, Sissoko and Mascherano..

gd player should deffo had a chance with west ham ..lpool pavin the way for gerrard to leavin in the summer?alsonso,sissiko and now this guy. gerrard wont b happy to play on rite again

gd player should deffo had a chance with west ham ..lpool pavin the way for gerrard to leavin in the summer?alsonso,sissiko and now this guy. gerrard wont b happy to play on rite again

The stats/results for Liverpool (or so I read earlier in the season) and more specifically, Gerrard's stats for Liverpool, suggest both he and Liverpool do better when he's played on the right for them (with Sissoko and Alonso in the middle).

Guest Patrokles

Rules bent for Liverpool yet again. Brilliant.

Oh well, I suppose this gives Roeder a whole new set of players to look at who've already moved twice this year. Or not.

To be fair, we had the rules bent for us too.

Rules bent for Liverpool yet again. Brilliant.

Oh well, I suppose this gives Roeder a whole new set of players to look at who've already moved twice this year. Or not.

To be fair, we had the rules bent for us too.

I take it you mean the manager thing. That wasn't UEFA/FIFA, it was a domestic decision IIRC(?). And we weren't alone in that, Boro got the same deal.

Liverpool were let into the Champions League despite not qualifying for it and now they are allowed a player that according to world football rules they shouldn't be allowed.

PS - Not a conspiracy theory Sima, just think those things outweigh our own.

Where did I say we were hard done by, like?

By saying that other teams don't adhere to the rules, by your moaning just because Liverpool are allowed to sign a player. Seriously, what difference does it make to you?

I take it you mean the manager thing. That wasn't UEFA/FIFA, it was a domestic decision IIRC(?). And we weren't alone in that, Boro got the same deal.

Liverpool were let into the Champions League despite not qualifying for it and now they are allowed a player that according to world football rules they shouldn't be allowed.

PS - Not a conspiracy theory Sima, just think those things outweigh our own.

They did win the thing, like. Some would say that the champions of the Champion's League not playing in it would be a bit daft.

And didn't we get the same treatment with Boumsong? In retrospect, thanks a fucking lot for that one! :angry:

Makes no difference to me whatsoever. I just disagree with it that's all, and i'm expressing an opinion. That okay?

Disagreeing with it seems hypocritical, seen as the rules were bent for us, no?