So You Think You Can Nurse?

catmag

Always amuses me how, in the public sector, its predominantly the people at the coalface, providing frontline services who get the shite wages, whilst the managers and accountants reel in the fat cat salaries and bonuses. Something wrong there. Something very wrong. :lol:

Aye, and the managers make all the decisions about how the service is going to be run despite the fact they never bother their arses to actually set foot on the shop floor, so don't actually know how we already work anyway.

Ah well, I'm night off tonight. They can do what they like while I finish this glass of wine..

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

easy

sit around doing nowt all day, starving old people to death, spreading diseases that kill folk, and moaning on and on and on

worse than teachers TBH

Yeah, that's exactly what we do. Sometimes for 16 hours a day if we're very lucky.

And to think you have the cheek to moan on about crap pay, when you're feet up playing GoldMiner and Mahjong all night.

I dunno, bloody NHS - what's it all coming to eh? :lol:

Hey, I've had 3 busy nights out of 4 this week! 3 babies delivered safely, 2 burst stomach ulcers repaired, and a wrist pinned back together on a bloke who fell over pissed. I'm an angel :lol:

Nah, I'm making up for the last 10 years of 16-hour days, being shit on (literally) and having dead people throw up down my uniform. I'm due a bit of respite :unsure:

How does a dead person vomit?

and more importantly, what are you doing to a dead body to make it vomit???

Edited by Lazarus

After death all the bodily fluids settle wherever they are (and sometimes seep out) The first time I was looking after a patient who died I was a student and it was an old lady. We were washing her and putting a clean nighty on so her relatives could come and see her, and as I rolled her towards me to change the sheet underneath her, I just heard this awful gurgling sound and a load of bile came straight up and all down my white dress and shoes. Ack.

Edited by catmag

After death all the bodily fluids settle wherever they are (and sometimes seep out) The first time I was looking after a patient who dies I was a student and it was an old lady. We were washing her and putting a clean nighty on so her relatives could come and see her, and as I rolled her towards me to change the sheet underneath her, I just heard this awful gurgling sound and a load of bile came straight up and all down my white dress and shoes. Ack.

Sounds lovely.

i know deed people can burp, fart and moan but i'd bever heard of vomiting.

Learn something new everyday on toontastic :lol:

easy

sit around doing nowt all day, starving old people to death, spreading diseases that kill folk, and moaning on and on and on

worse than teachers TBH

Yeah, that's exactly what we do. Sometimes for 16 hours a day if we're very lucky.

and you don't get overtime?

and you aren't covered by the yuropean Working Time Directive??

and just how many nurses do all this extra time - a small number in A&E I guess

easy

worse than teachers TBH

And to think you have the cheek to moan on about crap pay, when you're feet up playing GoldMiner and Mahjong all night.

I dunno, bloody NHS - what's it all coming to eh? :lol:

Hey, I've had 3 busy nights out of 4 this week! 3 babies delivered safely, 2 burst stomach ulcers repaired, and a wrist pinned back together on a bloke who fell over pissed. I'm an angel :lol:

Nah, I'm making up for the last 10 years of 16-hour days, being shit on (literally) and having dead people throw up down my uniform. I'm due a bit of respite :unsure:

Always amuses me how, in the public sector, its predominantly the people at the coalface, providing frontline services who get the shite wages, whilst the managers and accountants reel in the fat cat salaries and bonuses. Something wrong there. Something very wrong. :)

show me any job where "the people at the coal face" earn seriously more than their managers........... that's life , always has been

any teachers out there that want to start a thread moaning about how tough their job is?

I'm up for even more stirring today.............

Edited by Rob W

Once again, Rob pontificating about something he knows fuck all about. He's like a Harry Enfield character.

no-one has answered my questions about the hours actually worked.................................

Simple question trying to get a reasoned answer instead of the bleedingheart emotional blackmail indulged in by the medical "professions"

Once again, Rob pontificating about something he knows fuck all about. He's like a Harry Enfield character.

no-one has answered my questions about the hours actually worked.................................

Simple question trying to get a reasoned answer instead of the bleedingheart emotional blackmail indulged in by the medical "professions"

Our overtime rate is paid at time and a third for hours worked over 37.5 per week but some places have stopped paying overtime as there's no money left in the Trusts until April, therefore we do the hours as time owed. Yes we are covered by the EWTD but in practice it doesn't always happen. We do the extra hours because there is a guilt culture in the NHS where if you walk out of the department you know you are leaving someone in the shit (usually a patient) and therefore feel obliged to stay. Any hours over the EWTD guidelines are once again taken as time owed. And no, for your information, it's not just a small number of A&E nurses who do ridiculous hours actually. Nurses on medical wards, surgical wards, orthopeadic wards, Intensive Care, High Dependency units, Coronary Care and theatres do stupid hours aswell and they do them to try and maintain standards in hospitals. To make sure that patient care is not compromised. To cover for staff who are off sick. To assist colleagues who already have too much on their plates and are finding it difficult to cope. And to look after the likes of you who are either on a major wind up or are ridiculously ignorant of the real situation. You want emotional blackmail? Go and speak to every NHS manager in the country - they're fantastic at it.

If you were looking for a bite, you've fucking got one. Idiot.

Edited by catmag

any teachers out there that want to start a thread moaning about how tough their job is?

I'm up for even more stirring today.............

Aye, you could try speaking to Jaffa. Pretty sure you couldn't handle the realities of being a school teacher as well as he does. Nowt like it was back in your day, unfortunately.

100 nurses on peanuts controlled by 10 managers on a decent wage

OR

100 nurses on a decent wage controlled by 10 managers on a decent wage

I know which scenario makes my taxes higher (well, being a student, neither, but you get the idea)

OR

I know which scenario makes my taxes higher (well, being a student, neither, but you get the idea)

100 students building lego robots?

OR

100 students building lego robots?

TL23-not-for-girls.gif

tbh

Our overtime rate is paid at time and a third for hours worked over 37.5 per week but some places have stopped paying overtime as there's no money left in the Trusts until April, therefore we do the hours as time owed. Yes we are covered by the EWTD but in practice it doesn't always happen. We do the extra hours because there is a guilt culture in the NHS where if you walk out of the department you know you are leaving someone in the shit (usually a patient) and therefore feel obliged to stay. Any hours over the EWTD guidelines are once again taken as time owed. And no, for your information, it's not just a small number of A&E nurses who do ridiculous hours actually. Nurses on medical wards, surgical wards, orthopeadic wards, Intensive Care, High Dependency units, Coronary Care and theatres do stupid hours aswell and they do them to try and maintain standards in hospitals. To make sure that patient care is not compromised. To cover for staff who are off sick. To assist colleagues who already have too much on their plates and are finding it difficult to cope. And to look after the likes of you who are either on a major wind up or are ridiculously ignorant of the real situation. You want emotional blackmail? Go and speak to every NHS manager in the country - they're fantastic at it.

if its soooooooooooooooo bad why not quit????

You'd get regular hours and more pay workign at a call centre if what you say is correct

You wanted answers to those questions? They look rhetorical to me. All part of the Rob Knows Best Show.

sometimes I do indeed ................. its called "experience" young shaver :lol::lol::unsure::):)

You'd get regular hours and more pay workign at a call centre if what you say is correct

Years of training?

A vocational calling?

"Years of training?

A vocational calling?"

Fine if it's a vocation like Mother Teresa or whatever - just don't take up a vocation and then whine about it all the time..................

"Years of training?

A vocational calling?"

Fine if it's a vocation like Mother Teresa or whatever - just don't take up a vocation and then whine about it all the time..................

:lol:

Why do you think that a vocational calling and half decent pay should be mutually exclusive?

Just sounds like you want an excuse to talk down to people.

No offence to anyone that does work in a call centre, but I didn't go to university for 3 years to do that. The wages are crap for what we do, but they're enough that I can live independently on my own and not have to worry about job insecurity. We do get put upon and guilt-tripped, but at the end of the day I love what I do and I'm good at it. I won't do it forever and I'm looking at other avenues to go down, but it's a secure job and it pays the bills.

Have you ever had to be admitted to hospital and seen what actually goes on, Rob? Genuine question.

"Years of training?

A vocational calling?"

Is it a vocation though? Okay, maybe it does take a "certain kind of person" to do nursing (one that's not right in the head half of the time) but I wouldn't do it for nothing. And doesn't everyone have their gripes about their job, Rob? I'm certainly not the only person on here who :lol: whines :lol: about my job. So why pick me out to target?

"Years of training?

A vocational calling?"

:lol:

Why do you think that a vocational calling and half decent pay should be mutually exclusive?

Just sounds like you want an excuse to talk down to people.

OED "vocation:-.... divine influence or guidance towards a definite career"

nowt in there about the pay packet

Nurses lowest pay (2005 numbers) is around £ 10,800 a year (without any of thy extra payments available ) for someone at the very bottom and goes up to £ 31,000 a year before becoming a matron

I think that's a pretty fair range TBH