So You Think You Can Nurse?

catmag

Incalculating a strong desire for learning m'lad is how the headmaster put it as he bared his arm and gave the cat a few swings...........

but then I came out and could read and write - which puts me ahead of 99% of the great british public

no wonder I seem to know so much more than the rest of you about certain things (but not EVERYTHING - motor cycles are a closed book to me - as are the workks of Jane Austen)

I'd be willing to bet, based on the way you post & argue, that my reading and writing skills are better than yours, despite the decades of time between our respective schooling. :o

wrong - your crap taste in modern musik condemns you for a start

Edited by Rob W

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think there's a general malaise in British society and that this is to blame for the apathy/attitude of many kids, rather than their schooling/teachers. Eg, I bet truancy levels are significantly higher than they used to be. How can you blame poor teaching if kids never go to be taught? Truancy is obviously an extreme example, but the principle is there.

bit chicken and egg TBH - if the teachers can't or won't teach why are the kids going to turn up?

real middle of the roader me.................

big shortage of posts from teachers on here tho'..........................

They're probably too busy mate.

Guest Patrokles

real middle of the roader me.................

big shortage of posts from teachers on here tho'..........................

Using your much-vaunted reading skills, haven't you noticed that the posts from people in this thread who are familiar with teachers all defend said teachers? Doesn't that tell you something? Did you learn logic to go along with Dick & Jane books?

Personally I think there's a general malaise in British society and that this is to blame for the apathy/attitude of many kids, rather than their schooling/teachers. Eg, I bet truancy levels are significantly higher than they used to be. How can you blame poor teaching if kids never go to be taught? Truancy is obviously an extreme example, but the principle is there.

There is an apathy towards everything in this country that still completely astounds me. It's not just kids and it doesn't just apply to teachers, it's everyone. I'm not saying this as an attack against the British public but everything is just far too difficult for anyone to even try it seems. I don't know what it is, is it a lack of pride in their jobs? Is it that they've given up and feel as though no matter what they do nothing changes? Or is it just a general laziness? The English public just don't seem to give a stuff. I could site examples of what it's like where I work but I don't want any of the high-falootin' nurses around here getting shitty at me. :o

There is an apathy towards everything in this country that still completely astounds me. It's not just kids and it doesn't just apply to teachers, it's everyone. I'm not saying this as an attack against the British public but everything is just far too difficult for anyone to even try it seems. I don't know what it is, is it a lack of pride in their jobs? Is it that they've given up and feel as though no matter what they do nothing changes? Or is it just a general laziness? The English public just don't seem to give a stuff. I could site examples of what it's like where I work but I don't want any of the high-falootin' nurses around here getting shitty at me. :o

??

You should try Germany for apathy.

1912 or 1930?

Especially Patrokles shouldn't try it, as there are the same clichés about teachers in Germany as there are in England. And I think there is something true about them. And I say this as my younger sister is a teacher, as is the husband of my older sister and I am sort of teaching myself (though at university level).

When teachers try to defend themselves about the work they have to do and how they have to work outside of school, it mainly applies to younger teachers. The main thing about teaching is routine. The preparation to lessons gets less the older you get, and the more often you already did cover a subject before. So, if you are about a couple of years in the job, you really get the benefit of long holidays, an easy daytime job etc. And I actually don't know any teacher who is seriously denying it.

Tbh I think the same, and I'm English. I think a large part of that is due to the way the country is run, everything from the government to schools, the NHS, even the fucking FA is run every way apart from the right and obvious way. The political parties all spout the same rubbish so it doesn't look like things will change, so many people see no point in voting. The media all have their own agendas of building people up and knocking them down. Tensions between people of different cultures are getting worse all the time. A lot of people have had enough and aspire to up sticks and emigrate as soon as possible, an attitude I find upsetting but to be honest also quite appealing.

Rob-out of interest, what do you do for your beer money?

now there IS a question - which I'm not stupid enough to answer

we ran a competition on here or NOL about a year ago and no-one got close

Lets say I do work, I travel quite a bit, and I get paid what I'm worth

So, bin man then, yeah? :o

I often wonder why people get defensive or guarded about stuff like this. I wasnt being judgemental, I was just curious. I wasn't asking what you earn either btw, I'm not arsed about stuff like that, just what you did to earn it.

ah well - it goes back a-ways

there's always been a basic rule that you don't try and ID people on message boards like this - if they WANt to post their picture, address etc etc for the Great Geordie Public to see well and good - if they don't they don't

a couple of years a go we lost Swindon Mag, who was a great poster, because some idiot went digging to find out all about him

when you see some of the idiots who post on here and (more so) on NOL I'd rather they didn't know where to find ANYONE ..................... not everyone is always nice...............

ah well - it goes back a-ways

there's always been a basic rule that you don't try and ID people on message boards like this - if they WANt to post their picture, address etc etc for the Great Geordie Public to see well and good - if they don't they don't

a couple of years a go we lost Swindon Mag, who was a great poster, because some idiot went digging to find out all about him

when you see some of the idiots who post on here and (more so) on NOL I'd rather they didn't know where to find ANYONE ..................... not everyone is always nice...............

Okay, thats fair comment. Far from being my motive in asking mind.

Anyways you neednt give specifics of your official job title and even if someone was daft enough to go and try to ID you then you could just deny it's you, though why that never occured to Swindon Mag has always baffled me.

You can understand why people ask at least when you profess to have a working knowledge of everything-I'd say it dents your credibility when you're then so guarded about what you do do. Not that that should bother you necessarily of course.

Edited by manc-mag