So You Think You Can Nurse?

catmag

"Years of training?

A vocational calling?"

Fine if it's a vocation like Mother Teresa or whatever - just don't take up a vocation and then whine about it all the time..................

:lol:

Why do you think that a vocational calling and half decent pay should be mutually exclusive?

Just sounds like you want an excuse to talk down to people.

OED "vocation:-.... divine influence or guidance towards a definite career"

nowt in there about the pay packet

Nurses lowest pay (2005 numbers) is around £ 10,800 a year (without any of thy extra payments available ) for someone at the very bottom and goes up to £ 31,000 a year before becoming a matron

I think that's a pretty fair range TBH

Do you? :lol: Aye. £10K a year sounds pretty fair to me like. That's actually the wage for auxiliary nurses but it's still not enough.

Sorry Rob, you may have missed my question before, or you may just have ignored it. Have you ever been admitted to hospital in this country and seen how things work on the wards or in A&E etc?

Edited by catmag

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea what it's like doing NHS work on the front line, but I appreciate what the workers do, for what sounds like shit money tbh.

I just think Rob is coming across a proper prick.

"Years of training?

A vocational calling?"

Fine if it's a vocation like Mother Teresa or whatever - just don't take up a vocation and then whine about it all the time..................

Why do you think that a vocational calling and half decent pay should be mutually exclusive?

Nurses lowest pay (2005 numbers) is around £ 10,800 a year (without any of thy extra payments available ) for someone at the very bottom and goes up to £ 31,000 a year before becoming a matron

Contradicting yourself.

if its soooooooooooooooo bad why not quit????

You'd get regular hours and more pay workign at a call centre if what you say is correct

No offence to anyone that does work in a call centre, but I didn't go to university for 3 years to do that. The wages are crap for what we do, but they're enough that I can live independently on my own and not have to worry about job insecurity. We do get put upon and guilt-tripped, but at the end of the day I love what I do and I'm good at it. I won't do it forever and I'm looking at other avenues to go down, but it's a secure job and it pays the bills.

Have you ever had to be admitted to hospital and seen what actually goes on, Rob? Genuine question.

funnily enough when I was younger I used to go into the local hospital 5 days a week - I've seen someone fall over with a heart attack and be resusitated, babies with serious burns and smokers wards (which is why I never smoked) as well as some poor folk with serious mental problems

I can remember the days when every morning the general ward would have a couple of new people who had hit the windscreen of their cars (no seat belts.....) and also people dripping some pretty grim bodily fluids for months

One of my best friends is a very senior doctor and my neighbour is a GP

It just seems to me that teachers and the medical profession seem to go on and on about how tough their lives are when, in fact, they aren't that bad at all

if its soooooooooooooooo bad why not quit????

You'd get regular hours and more pay workign at a call centre if what you say is correct

No offence to anyone that does work in a call centre, but I didn't go to university for 3 years to do that. The wages are crap for what we do, but they're enough that I can live independently on my own and not have to worry about job insecurity. We do get put upon and guilt-tripped, but at the end of the day I love what I do and I'm good at it. I won't do it forever and I'm looking at other avenues to go down, but it's a secure job and it pays the bills.

Have you ever had to be admitted to hospital and seen what actually goes on, Rob? Genuine question.

funnily enough when I was younger I used to go into the local hospital 5 days a week - I've seen someone fall over with a heart attack and be resusitated, babies with serious burns and smokers wards (which is why I never smoked) as well as some poor folk with serious mental problems

I can remember the days when every morning the general ward would have a couple of new people who had hit the windscreen of their cars (no seat belts.....) and also people dripping some pretty grim bodily fluids for months

One of my best friends is a very senior doctor and my neighbour is a GP

It just seems to me that teachers and the medical profession seem to go on and on about how tough their lives are when, in fact, they aren't that bad at all

Howay man! Everybody moans about their lot from time to time and it usually tends to centre on remuneration. It's the fundamental term of employment. You seriously saying this is restricted to teachers and medical professionals? :lol: oooooookay!

"Years of training?

A vocational calling?"

Contradicting yourself.

UH??

follow me closely my lancashire friend

1. Vocations are not about money - so lets either not hear the word or people should stay quiet

2. Nurses complain about money but they earn £ 10,800 - £ 31,000 a year; which is not too shabby compared to other jobs

the two are only connected by the whiners - not by me

Rob, you're becoming tiresome and I can't be arsed to argue with you any more. May I respectfully suggest that as someone who has never worked within the health service, you haven't actually got the first clue about what it's like to do so. You don't know about the internal and external politics, the management and budget systems, the pressure of meeting government-set targets with limited resources, the feeling of being undervalued, the lack of support for staff from management and the true extent of the physical and emotional work involved in it. Am I whining again? Tough shit. It's a reality that we face every single day and we still manage to care for patients to the very best of our ability and with a smile on our faces.

I think Rob may have gone a bit far imo but I think he has a point to an extent - there is a saint/god complex in the medical profession which doesn't react well to certain questions (like if its that bad why don't you leave?).

I actually have more of a problem with Doctors than Nurses - I've met too many who talk down to people to such a degree they should be taken to task over it - everybody appreciates help when you're at your most vulnerable but some of them use that to feed their egoes too much - that applies to some nurses I've met as well.

I've also had this opinion of Doctors and consultants especially seconded first hand by my sister who's a radiographer.

"Years of training?

A vocational calling?"

Contradicting yourself.

UH??

follow me closely my lancashire friend

1. Vocations are not about money - so lets either not hear the word or people should stay quiet

2. Nurses complain about money but they earn £ 10,800 - £ 31,000 a year; which is not too shabby compared to other jobs

the two are only connected by the whiners - not by me

You begin by saying the money is irrelevant but then you go on to say the pay is fair.

By your logic, anything which isnt below zero (ie a financial penalty) would be fair.

We're also accountable to the public 24/7 aswell, even when we're off duty. So should I ever find Rob collapsed in the street, I have a professional duty to do something about it. Now therein lies a dilemma.... :lol:

We're also accountable to the public 24/7 aswell, even when we're off duty. So should I ever find Rob collapsed in the street, I have a professional duty to do something about it. Now therein lies a dilemma.... :lol:

Surely people of his age have an automatic DNR order? :lol:

Surely people of his age have an automatic DNR order? :lol:

Hmm, you have a point. Unfotunately I'd have to see the signed document before I left him where he was...

funnily enough when I was younger I used to go into the local hospital 5 days a week

For treatment or just to tell the doctors and nurses where they were going wrong?

laying on of hands in the cases beyond medical science

Rob, you're becoming tiresome and I can't be arsed to argue with you any more. May I respectfully suggest that as someone who has never worked within the health service, you haven't actually got the first clue about what it's like to do so. You don't know about the internal and external politics, the management and budget systems, the pressure of meeting government-set targets with limited resources, the feeling of being undervalued, the lack of support for staff from management and the true extent of the physical and emotional work involved in it. Am I whining again? Tough shit. It's a reality that we face every single day and we still manage to care for patients to the very best of our ability and with a smile on our faces.

Cath, cath

these are the things everyone else in the outside world has to deal with day in, day out

budgets, targets, impossible bosses - I'll bet everyone else on here has the same problems

we just don't go on about it

I have all of those things. I don't however have to worry about who dies if I don't do everything 100% right 100% of the time.

No way would I be able to cope with the emotional and physical stress of being in life/health-threatening situations every day.

Edited by nufc4ever

I think Rob may have gone a bit far imo but I think he has a point to an extent - there is a saint/god complex in the medical profession which doesn't react well to certain questions (like if its that bad why don't you leave?).

I actually have more of a problem with Doctors than Nurses - I've met too many who talk down to people to such a degree they should be taken to task over it - everybody appreciates help when you're at your most vulnerable but some of them use that to feed their egoes too much - that applies to some nurses I've met as well.

I've also had this opinion of Doctors and consultants especially seconded first hand by my sister who's a radiographer.

Indeed - if I don't get under a few folks skins we'll have the dewey eyed St Francis of Assisi (sorry he was a vet), Florence Nightingale, aren't all our medicos wonderfull love fest as usual

ask a few questions and make a couple of points and you'd think I'd become a Sunderland supporter

some folk on here need stirring up a bit more often

I have all of those things. I don't however have to worry about who dies if I don't do everything 100% right 100% of the time.

No way would I be able to cope with the emotional and physical stress of being in life/health-threatening situations every day.

funnily enough a lot of peopel get better in spite of what is done for them

Cath, cath

these are the things everyone else in the outside world has to deal with day in, day out

budgets, targets, impossible bosses - I'll bet everyone else on here has the same problems

we just don't go on about it

Most people on here have at some point had a whinge about their job! I'm not exclusive! Exquisite perhaps, but not exclusive :lol:

funnily enough a lot of peopel get better in spite of what is done for them

I'm not playing any more :lol:

shoot me on the spot - anything than spend time in the hands of health care professionals in a disease ridden hospital...................

:lol::unsure::):)

People do seem to be a lot more cynical about healthcare professionals now for some reason, I've met more than a few people who seem to think that all doctors and nurses are incompetent and that they know better. Morons.

I think in olden times when I was a bairn no-one knew anything about health care and you worshipped medics

these days people watch TV and the papers are full of things about health and medicine

The mystique has gone and peopel see them as the same as ther est of us - some good, some bad and (of course) the Saintly like our loving colleague