Sir Bobby Robson

Tooj

KEEGAN.........Played 251.......Won 138.......Lost 62.......Drew 52.

ROBSON.........Played 255.......Won 119.......Lost 72.......Drew 64.

Keegan had the better record but it doen't alter the fact that Bobby's sacking was totally disgraceful and shouldn't have happened.

what amazed me is all those years Bobby Robson was at Ipswich, yet never professed any desire or inclination to come home and manage Newcastle, despite us changing our manager lots of times. Do you have any theories about this ?

I don't think managers are in the habit of openly professing where they'd like to be when they are already settled comfortly in a job, as Bobby was with Ipswich. I think they make their inner feelings known if their name appears on the radar screen for a position at any club, and the welcome-mat is out.

Bobby's success at Ipswich was instrumental in getting him the England job, and after that was over it was PSV Eindoven who put out the welcome-mat for him. I don't recall any English clubs clamouring for him at that time and managers most often seem to go where the best offers are.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keegan had the better record but it doen't alter the fact that Bobby's sacking was totally disgraceful and shouldn't have happened.

what amazed me is all those years Bobby Robson was at Ipswich, yet never professed any desire or inclination to come home and manage Newcastle, despite us changing our manager lots of times. Do you have any theories about this ?

No reply from Tony Blair. He must be away to look it up or work it out

You give him an hour to reply, (to a question not related to the thread's current discussion) and then bait him for not replying? This is getting beyond ridiculous. People stop replying to you because the arguments never go anywhere.

eeerrrr.......he was online when I posted that mate

Point is, I'm up for a debate, I don't mind at all. If anyone can show how the old board that ran the club during the 60's were a good board, that showed ambition etc, or the current one haven't improved the club massively since they took over, I'm quite prepared to admit I'm wrong.

Howay man, when you can't / don't want to answer a question your stock reply is that you haven't got time. Zath's right btw, why do you try and turn everything into a debate about how shit previous boards were compared to the current one? Are you saying Shepherd is better than Lord Westwood therefore that makes sacking Robson a fair decision? That's a rhetorical question btw.

Edited by alex

I don't think managers are in the habit of openly professing where they'd like to be when they are already settled comfortly in a job, as Bobby was with Ipswich. I think they make their inner feelings known if their name appears on the radar screen for a position at any club, and the welcome-mat is out.

Bobby's success at Ipswich was instrumental in getting him the England job, and after that was over it was PSV Eindoven who put out the welcome-mat for him. I don't recall any English clubs clamouring for him at that time and managers most often seem to go where the best offers are.

I'm not asking him to openly profess where he wanted to be. I'm asking you why Newcastle United, having always been a great club, bigger than Ipswich, and run that way, didnt' manage to persuade him - or even think they were big enough to ask him - to come and manage his hometown club, for 3 decades.

Would any Newcastle United supporter turn down the chance of managing Newcastle United instead of Ipswich, Newcastle being in the blood and as i said, a massive, massive, huge job in comparison to Ipswich.

Well, it has been since 1992 anyway, and it was in the 1950's too. But somehow, I knew you would not answer or comment on this, acknowledging the board you slate is the same board who attracted you back to the club, Tony.

Then of course, he simply fell into the clubs hands as a stroke of good fortune in 1999, they suddenly woke up after 30 yeas and realised there was a good manager on the doorstep waiting for the job, just like their predecessors ....

Keep taking your memory pills, Tony.

Edited by LeazesMag

Perhaps the timing was wrong for him?

Perhaps he wanted to honour his contract?

Perhaps we never offered him the job anyway?

Who cares tbh?

Quite amazing how Newcastle United, who have always been a top club, always had ambition, always kept their best players etc took so long to offer a top manager such as Bobby Robson the managers job, and for him to see the job as suitable for him as a manager with his talents. Of course, all the current boards predecessors during the 3 previous decades never considered him at all, even though they could offer him one of the countries top jobs and best run clubs, and the current board had him simply fall into their laps as a lucky break.

I fail to see your point? The current board deserve praise for being able to attract him, at the end of his career? Is that it?

Yep, well done to them. They did better than the board before them.

My computer is better than the first computer I owned, but it still needs replacing.

I didn't think you would understand the point. I understand you don't believe a small club such as Ipswich could be more attractive than his home town club Newcastle United. As Newcastle United have always been a bigger and better club than small Ipswich town, and always have been, and Bobby Robson was too dumb to see that when he was manager of Ipswich, that his hometown club was a more attractive proposition and always has been......and of course our wonderful directors who sold our best players for decades thought Bobby Robson wasn't good enough for us and so didn't bother themselves trying to attract him to his hometown club :lol: But having told you this constantly, you really aren't going to get it by now.

As for the last bit, that is like saying your new car is better than your old car, WTF are you on, its nowt to do with being a football chairman :unsure:;)

EDIT: Thought for you. Would you change your computer for a worse one ?

I'm off down the pub ......... :rolleyes:

I'd do plenty of research first before changing, but I'd still change, as long as the new one had more to offer me.

Obviously if my current one was faulty, and kept causing problems, I'd swap it for a more reliable model.

No reply from Tony Blair. He must be away to look it up or work it out

You give him an hour to reply, (to a question not related to the thread's current discussion) and then bait him for not replying? This is getting beyond ridiculous. People stop replying to you because the arguments never go anywhere.

eeerrrr.......he was online when I posted that mate

Point is, I'm up for a debate, I don't mind at all. If anyone can show how the old board that ran the club during the 60's were a good board, that showed ambition etc, or the current one haven't improved the club massively since they took over, I'm quite prepared to admit I'm wrong.

Howay man, when you can't / don't want to answer a question your stock reply is that you haven't got time. Zath's right btw, why do you try and turn everything into a debate about how shit previous boards were compared to the current one? Are you saying Shepherd is better than Lord Westwood therefore that makes sacking Robson a fair decision? That's a rhetorical question btw.

Alex, I'm not trying to turn it into anything. Simple fact is, people slate the board, who have done well for the club. I understand and accept younger lads not being aware of how well they have done - although I don't understand why they won't listen to someone trying to explain - but KK bandwagon jumpers and others who lost interest in the club and were attracted back to the club by the board they now slate, are a different kettle of fish completely. If they weren't interested in the club, they should just say so and have done with it. If they genuinely have no idea of how shit the club was when the current board took over, they should admit that too. Either way, they know fcuk all, unfortunately. How can they ?

Like Tony Blair who sat in the Galloway End in the 1980's, and others similarly with their heads up their arse, who simply pretend they have always supported the club, when they haven't.

Who cares tbh?

Quite amazing how Newcastle United, who have always been a top club, always had ambition, always kept their best players etc took so long to offer a top manager such as Bobby Robson the managers job, and for him to see the job as suitable for him as a manager with his talents. Of course, all the current boards predecessors during the 3 previous decades never considered him at all, even though they could offer him one of the countries top jobs and best run clubs, and the current board had him simply fall into their laps as a lucky break.

I fail to see your point? The current board deserve praise for being able to attract him, at the end of his career? Is that it?

My computer is better than the first computer I owned, but it still needs replacing.

I didn't think you would understand the point. I understand you don't believe a small club such as Ipswich could be more attractive than his home town club Newcastle United. As Newcastle United have always been a bigger and better club than small Ipswich town, and always have been, and Bobby Robson was too dumb to see that when he was manager of Ipswich, that his hometown club was a more attractive proposition and always has been......and of course our wonderful directors who sold our best players for decades thought Bobby Robson wasn't good enough for us and so didn't bother themselves trying to attract him to his hometown club :lol: But having told you this constantly, you really aren't going to get it by now.

As for the last bit, that is like saying your new car is better than your old car, WTF are you on, its nowt to do with being a football chairman :unsure:;)

I'd do plenty of research first before changing, but I'd still change, as long as the new one had more to offer me.

Obviously if my current one was faulty, and kept causing problems, I'd swap it for a more reliable model.

and you would be guaranteed to choose the best one going, and the only one available ?

:P keep it up Gol, its amusing this like

Who cares tbh?

and you would be guaranteed to choose the best one going, and the only one available ?

So you'd keep yours on the chance that a new one might not be an improvement? I asked you this the other day, but you ignored it...

Could you say the same about Bramble? Bit of a risk replacing him when the replacement might be worse, no?

Who cares tbh?

So you'd keep yours on the chance that a new one might not be an improvement? I asked you this the other day, but you ignored it...

Could you say the same about Bramble? Bit of a risk replacing him when the replacement might be worse, no?

wtf are you on about ?

Are you saying your mate recommends a good pc, so you buy it ? So we order another Alex Ferguson from somewhere.......you're barmy mate.

:P:(

If this in fact what you think, please explain where we can buy another Alex Ferguson ?

Before anyone else of course :P:)

Who cares tbh?

wtf are you on about ?

Are you saying your mate recommends a good pc, so you buy it ? So we order another Alex Ferguson from somewhere.......you're barmy mate.

:P:(

If this in fact what you think, please explain where we can buy another Alex Ferguson ?

Before anyone else of course :P:)

I'm making the point that change can be a good thing. You just seem very afraid of it.

Do you think there will EVER be a point where you want the board replaced? Would relegation be enough for you?

I'm making the point that change can be a good thing. You just seem very afraid of it.

Do you think there will EVER be a point where you want the board replaced? Would relegation be enough for you?

I have said - frequently - that I would like a better board as much as the next person. However, thinking a new board would automatically be better - when only 4 clubs have qualified more for europe in the last decade with a higher average league position, and numerous other clubs make changes for the worse - is slightly naive to say the least.

You don't understand that nobody has to show ambition and reach out to try and buy the best players. A new board could sit tight and take no risks to protect their investment, instead of buying big and attempting to be successful. There are plenty of clubs around who do this. I have named them frequently too. You would not like supporting one of these clubs, or worse. They never qualify for europe - or not as often as we do - they never buy top quality players, they never even fill their [smaller] grounds ... the board we have CHOOSE to do these things, because they want the club to be successful. I'm tired of explaining this again to you Gol, but to be fair you aren't the only one who doesn't get it.

Anyway, rather than start a new thread, what do those who think we are better off without Craig Bellamy, think of him scoring in the Nou Camp. Aye, we are better off not playing in places like that and having nice little boys in the dressing room instead .......

Edited by LeazesMag