Football club cycles

Guest stevieintoon

Guest stevieintoon

Regarding the 30 pt difference between AC and Inter, is that not largely down to the points deduction following the scandal ??

George Weah was a sensational striker. I seem to recall another team having an agreement with PSG to buy him first.

Liverpool got lucky when they got Shankly. They then followed up that with Paisley (whose knighthood is long overdue imo). The years of Liverpool sweeping all before them cemented their name in football supporters' and players' brains for evermore which makes them an attractive propositon for players/managers. If NUFC had got Shankly then maybe we would be in the posision they are in now as I don't really see them as being a much bigger club than NUFC at the time Shankly got the job.

AC Milan started the season with 8 points less than Inter. So in real terms Inter have gained 22 more points than the rossoneri. When the fuck do Inter get a lead over Milan like this. It can't be denied this is AC Milan's worst side in living memory.

Before Munich we were much bigger than Man Utd and Liverpool, in terms of trophies, certainly crowds and stature, Arsenal were the other big club. The thing is with Liverpool, their fans never accept second best, or they just desert the club till it's rectified, the board recognise this and act accordingly.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Milan are miles behind Inter even when you take away the points deduction. They could still get 4th spot though.

KK supposedly tried to sign Weah btw.

Edit: Oops too late.

Edited by alex

Good post, but I am not sure that you really can consider Bierhoff as a flop there. Of course he was no van Basten or Gullit, but he came there, scored 20 goals in his first season and was seen as the main factor for winning the title again after some poor seasons.

Good post, but I am not sure that you really can consider Bierhoff as a flop there. Of course he was no van Basten or Gullit, but he came there, scored 20 goals in his first season and was seen as the main factor for winning the title again after some poor seasons.

The Milan fans rated him, they used to sing his name a lot.

Guest stevieintoon

Aye statistically maybe Bierhoff was a bad example, but in terms of who came before him, van Basten, Savicevic, Weah, Baggio etc..he wasn't at the same level. The early and mid-90's were a time when defences were so on top in Serie A, by the end of the decade, your Baresi's, Bergomi's, Gentile's weren't as prevalent as they were previously. Yes there was Cannavaro and the likes of Nesta, but you didn't have to be as good to score goals in Serie A when Bierhoff went there. This was around the time when Spain was taking over as number one.

I think Milan are miles behind Inter even when you take away the points deduction. They could still get 4th spot though.

Inter broke the Serie A record for most consecutive wins this season IIRC (17) they're also unbeaten in the league so far, at this moment in time Inter are superior in nearly every position on the pitch than Milan.

Inter broke the Serie A record for most consecutive wins this season IIRC (17) they're also unbeaten in the league so far, at this moment in time Inter are superior in nearly every position on the pitch than Milan.

They are still utter twats though...

I wonder what Obafemi Martins' thoughts are right now.

Guest stevieintoon

I wonder what Obafemi Martins' thoughts are right now.

Probably, "I'm pleased to be out that racist hell hole, playing in the best league in Europe." tbh Inter wouldn't come close to winning the Premiership imo, even though it's a pointless argument.

He's hinted as much in interviews.

I used to love Football Italia, never missed the Saturday morning round-up or the Sunday game, used to have me mam make sure my Sunday lunch was ready when the game was on, with Peter Brackley commentating and Luther Blisset in the studio. I rather miss giving a fuck about football other than Newcastle/the Premiership, there's just too much of it to bother.

Guest stevieintoon

I used to love Football Italia, never missed the Saturday morning round-up or the Sunday game, used to have me mam make sure my Sunday lunch was ready when the game was on, with Peter Brackley commentating and Luther Blisset in the studio. I rather miss giving a fuck about football other than Newcastle/the Premiership, there's just too much of it to bother.

Same here, Saturday mornings: 9:30 Kabbaddi 10:00 Gazzetta Football Italia

Sunday mornings play football, dinner then Gazzette at 2, those were the days.

Mind a lot of the games were shite, I think the best game I saw was when Platt and Gullit were at Sampdoria, and they were predictably 0-2 down to the great Milan, but Samp came flying back and ended up winning 3-2 with a last minute beauty from Ruud. I know he was not a great toon manager, but I tell you something, people go on about "pure" footballers, I can't think of a better example of a "pure footballer" than Ruud Gullit, maybe that's where the arrogance came from, because he couldn't be taught anything.

Mind a lot of the games were shite, I think the best game I saw was when Platt and Gullit were at Sampdoria, and they were predictably 0-2 down to the great Milan, but Samp came flying back and ended up winning 3-2 with a last minute beauty from Ruud. I know he was not a great toon manager, but I tell you something, people go on about "pure" footballers, I can't think of a better example of a "pure footballer" than Ruud Gullit, maybe that's where the arrogance came from, because he couldn't be taught anything.

Rijkard perhaps?

Guest stevieintoon

Rijkard perhaps?

Rijkaard was something else, but Gullit played in any position like he'd been there all his life. Sweeper, in front of the back four, attacking midfield, up front, it didn't matter. The sign of a true class footballer, is when they always appear to have time on the ball, and he did because his touch was so immaculate, never once in his career did he panic. His arrival at Chelsea, heralded the start of a the current era for the club, forget about Abramovic, Chelsea in 2003 were a much better club than Chelsea in 1993.

True actually, Rijkard couldn't have played upfront, whereas Gullit could play at the back. Beckenbauer was probably just as versatile although he settled on the 'libero' role. The only other example I can think of is Paul Warhurst :lol:

I do find it fascinating that some clubs can keep that winning mentality (they know how to win trophies if you like, don't let pressure effect them) no matter how many changes of players/ managers/ back-room staff they have. Other clubs (ourselves included) can throw money around until the cows come home and never win anything because we lack that mental edge.

By the way Stevie, make sure you're listening to H&J at about half three tomorrow, I'm pretty sure they do Clever Trevor on thursdays.

Clevor Trevor is no more. They've sacked it for good.

It was mentioned last week.

I hope you were listening Stevie.

This is the difference between those clubs and Newcastle United. They're winners. We're losers.

Well tbf a major difference between NUFC and most of those clubs, its that they don't just have financial backing, but direct or indirect political backing too.

That can make a big difference in a lot of situations, especially in getting yourself out of the shit after a bad period.

I can't remember TWP or Man Utd getting too much political backing.

No not really those 2 (or at least not in the sense I was really talking about), but the other 4 you mention.

Cracking stuff. Reckon it's worth mentioning the bloke who kick started their dominance in the 80's and the way he was appointed. Arrigo Sachi was a second division coach with little experience at the time, appointing someone like that to a big club wasn't the done thing, but Berlesconi saw something in him and did it.

Milan really reaped the rewards for a bold decision.

• 3 years later...
Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
Cracking stuff. Reckon it's worth mentioning the bloke who kick started their dominance in the 80's and the way he was appointed. Arrigo Sachi was a second division coach with little experience at the time, appointing someone like that to a big club wasn't the done thing, but Berlesconi saw something in him and did it.

I think Milan are coming back in a big way. They've signed some really good younguns like Emmanuelson, Merkel etc...and some genuine quality players in their peak like Ibrahimovic. I think they're only 2 or 3 players away from competing for the Champions League. 9 times out of 10, I'll support the English team in Europe over the foreign side especially Italian, but I hope Milan murder Spurs. Seven points clear at the top of Serie A too. There's something appealing about Milan for me, and they don't have the racist arseholes who support their city rivals.

I think Milan are coming back in a big way. They've signed some really good younguns like Emmanuelson, Merkel etc...and some genuine quality players in their peak like Ibrahimovic. I think they're only 2 or 3 players away from competing for the Champions League. 9 times out of 10, I'll support the English team in Europe over the foreign side especially Italian, but I hope Milan murder Spurs. Seven points clear at the top of Serie A too. There's something appealing about Milan for me, and they don't have the racist arseholes who support their city rivals.

Milan's forward line is absolutely ridiculous.