Football club cycles

Guest stevieintoon

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cracking stuff. Reckon it's worth mentioning the bloke who kick started their dominance in the 80's and the way he was appointed. Arrigo Sachi was a second division coach with little experience at the time, appointing someone like that to a big club wasn't the done thing, but Berlesconi saw something in him and did it.

Milan really reaped the rewards for a bold decision.

I think Milan are coming back in a big way. They've signed some really good younguns like Emmanuelson, Merkel etc...and some genuine quality players in their peak like Ibrahimovic. I think they're only 2 or 3 players away from competing for the Champions League. 9 times out of 10, I'll support the English team in Europe over the foreign side especially Italian, but I hope Milan murder Spurs. Seven points clear at the top of Serie A too. There's something appealing about Milan for me, and they don't have the racist arseholes who support their city rivals.

How old are you stevie? I only ask as i remember the milan teams of the mid to late 80's and remember just how immense they where, your original post is on the money, our club doesn't have to spend massive amounts of money, i've always been a fan of spotting and developing youth, I was always envious of the Ajax teams from the early 90's and the players they developed in house, i would love for our board to try to follow that kind of model whilst still funding the first team with quality signings when needed

They\We shouldn't be accepting the likes of smith, guthrie, perch, best...the list is long :)

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
Cracking stuff. Reckon it's worth mentioning the bloke who kick started their dominance in the 80's and the way he was appointed. Arrigo Sachi was a second division coach with little experience at the time, appointing someone like that to a big club wasn't the done thing, but Berlesconi saw something in him and did it.

I think Milan are coming back in a big way. They've signed some really good younguns like Emmanuelson, Merkel etc...and some genuine quality players in their peak like Ibrahimovic. I think they're only 2 or 3 players away from competing for the Champions League. 9 times out of 10, I'll support the English team in Europe over the foreign side especially Italian, but I hope Milan murder Spurs. Seven points clear at the top of Serie A too. There's something appealing about Milan for me, and they don't have the racist arseholes who support their city rivals.

How old are you stevie? I only ask as i remember the milan teams of the mid to late 80's and remember just how immense they where, your original post is on the money, our club doesn't have to spend massive amounts of money, i've always been a fan of spotting and developing youth, I was always envious of the Ajax teams from the early 90's and the players they developed in house, i would love for our board to try to follow that kind of model whilst still funding the first team with quality signings when needed

They\We shouldn't be accepting the likes of smith, guthrie, perch, best...the list is long :)

I'm 33 mate, what age are you? That Milan team was as good as Barcelona now, and to be honest although Barca are absolutely phenomenal, I'd to this day still only put Messi in the same league as Gullit, Rijkaard and van Basten. You just need to see the goals from the 1989 EC Final to see how amazing they were.

Baresi. :)

He often gets involved with stuff over here. I know the lad that is his UK contact and I've arranged a few things through him. In april I'm taking some customers over to Milan to see the derby and part of it is having a dinner with him. Top bloke.

I'm 33 mate, what age are you? That Milan team was as good as Barcelona now, and to be honest although Barca are absolutely phenomenal, I'd to this day still only put Messi in the same league as Gullit, Rijkaard and van Basten. You just need to see the goals from the 1989 EC Final to see how amazing they were.

I'm also 33, and i know exactly what you mean, those teams weren't on sky, so alot of the younger people now a days wont of seem so much of them, Ajax in the early 90's were an excellent team with Rijkaard and Bergkamp

It was there Youth setup that i was impressed with, they brought through the likes Kluivert, Davids, Bergkamp to name a couple, its something i would love for us to do

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

I'm also 33, and i know exactly what you mean, those teams weren't on sky, so alot of the younger people now a days wont of seem so much of them, Ajax in the early 90's were an excellent team with Rijkaard and Bergkamp

It was there Youth setup that i was impressed with, they brought through the likes Kluivert, Davids, Bergkamp to name a couple, its something i would love for us to do

You know today kids who like football don't realise they are born. Before 1992ish we had Match of The Day on FA Cup weekends and that's it, one live game every two weeks on ITV, and it could be something shit like Villa v Oldham, 10 mins highlights of big European competition games on Sportsneet, and a 40 second clip of the toon goals on the local news on a Monday neet, and that really was it. This weekend there has probably been 100 hours of TV devoted to football I'd guess, possibly 12 live games on British TV, they're spoilt. One of me fatha's old mates said "ye nar the way the lasses dress today with tha tits hanginoot, skirts up to their arse, in wor day you'd be happy if ye seen a bit of ankle", and that's the analogy am using for how little football coverage we had to make do with.

Ajax aye, fuckin absolutely mint. When they won the CL in 1995, they played a bizare formation was 3 3 1 3 but it worked, Kluivert and Kanu were big players for them and neither were older than 21 then. Been to Amsterdam loads of times, and been to the Arena not long after it opened, possibly 99, Kinkladze had just signed, anyway their training pitches are behind the stadium, and the tour guide showed us these kids playing, he said the reason Ajax had been so successful was they focussed on one main aspect from 6 year old. They'd train kids to run with the ball fast with complete control, because if you have that basis at 11-16 everything else falls in to place a lot easier. When you saw the likes of Overmars you can see what he was talking about.

not bad that

since sacking harvey (arguably our last "winner"):

gradual decline mid 70s (sell macdonald)

terrible late 70s (relegated)

gradually get better early 80s (sign keegan)

good mid 80s (youngsters emerge, like beardsley, waddle)

terrible late 80s (sell our youngsters, relegated)

gradually get better early 90s (keegan)

good mid 90s (keegan signs great players)

decline late 90s (gullit, benches shearer etc etc)

slow build up again early 00s (robson, signs youth)

almost succes mid 00s (champs league)

slow painful decline and relegation late 00s (ashley)

be interesting if you tried to fit a cycle to newcastle, seems we're on a 10 year one, where we have a revivial at the beginning of a decade (keegan 80s as a player and 90s managing, robson 00s) but end up in the shit by the end of the decade (relegated 77, relegated 89, gullit messing us up 98/99, relegated 09)

so by 2015 we should be in the top 4 lads...

You know today kids who like football don't realise they are born. Before 1992ish we had Match of The Day on FA Cup weekends and that's it, one live game every two weeks on ITV, and it could be something shit like Villa v Oldham, 10 mins highlights of big European competition games on Sportsneet, and a 40 second clip of the toon goals on the local news on a Monday neet, and that really was it. This weekend there has probably been 100 hours of TV devoted to football I'd guess, possibly 12 live games on British TV, they're spoilt. One of me fatha's old mates said "ye nar the way the lasses dress today with tha tits hanginoot, skirts up to their arse, in wor day you'd be happy if ye seen a bit of ankle", and that's the analogy am using for how little football coverage we had to make do with.

Ajax aye, fuckin absolutely mint. When they won the CL in 1995, they played a bizare formation was 3 3 1 3 but it worked, Kluivert and Kanu were big players for them and neither were older than 21 then. Been to Amsterdam loads of times, and been to the Arena not long after it opened, possibly 99, Kinkladze had just signed, anyway their training pitches are behind the stadium, and the tour guide showed us these kids playing, he said the reason Ajax had been so successful was they focussed on one main aspect from 6 year old. They'd train kids to run with the ball fast with complete control, because if you have that basis at 11-16 everything else falls in to place a lot easier. When you saw the likes of Overmars you can see what he was talking about.

I know what you mean, I remember being very young and going round my granddads and all the footie on the telly was the pools draws and that was about your lot. Sky has done alot but when you hear people bang on about the stars of today and I'm sat there thinking, aye hes good but you should of seen this fella play, its like when I talk about someone and some old one in the pub remembers watching pele or best and says the players of today aren't fit to shine his boots