This word filter thing

Steve

I'm with the pettifoggers.

Poor grammar should be punished, because then the offenders will learn.

I'd like to put forward for consideration the following;

"For Free"...it's either free or for nothing, it's not "For Free"

"New and Improved" this is also bollocks, it's either a new product... an innovation, or it's an improvement on an existing product. It can't be both.

Say I had a product that was quite good but not brilliant - like Shreddies. I then covered it in sugar and made it better. Surely it's a new product - Frosted Shreddies - and an improvement - because it's just Shreddies that have been modified slightly? No?

well no, because "Frosted Shreddies" did not exist as a product previously, so they're "New". They haven't "Improved" shreddies, because that which exists now is not Shreddies anymore, it's "Frosted Shreddies" and the original shreddies will run alongside this "New" product. :o

I'm with the pettifoggers.

Poor grammar should be punished, because then the offenders will learn.

I'd like to put forward for consideration the following;

"For Free"...it's either free or for nothing, it's not "For Free"

"New and Improved" this is also bollocks, it's either a new product... an innovation, or it's an improvement on an existing product. It can't be both.

Say I had a product that was quite good but not brilliant - like Shreddies. I then covered it in sugar and made it better. Surely it's a new product - Frosted Shreddies - and an improvement - because it's just Shreddies that have been modified slightly? No?

well no, because "Frosted Shreddies" did not exist as a product previously, so they're "New". They haven't "Improved" shreddies, because that which exists now is not Shreddies anymore, it's "Frosted Shreddies" and the original shreddies will run alongside this "New" product. :o

Using the same example, what if the original product was no longer being made or sold and the frosted variety was being sold under the same name. The new product - Shreddies with a frosting - is completely new and original but is now being sold under the brand name of Shreddies.

Using the same example, what if the original product was no longer being made or sold and the frosted variety was being sold under the same name. The new product - Shreddies with a frosting - is completely new and original but is now being sold under the brand name of Shreddies.

:o if it's sold as "Shreddies", but they've altered the make up of the brand it's "improved", if they've made something "new" then it's "New". It, by logical progression, cannot be "New" and "Improved"

It's one or the other.

Seeing as we have a word filter that changes cunt to twat, I want to propose that we add another. All over this board there are morons that can't spell the word 'definitely' correctly. It amazes me how often we see the abortion of 'definately' appearing in its place. I don't know what it is, but seeing that 'a' in there drives me to the point of homicide. It's almost, almost as annoying as the Down's Syndrome smiley of :o. I mean look at that thing, it's just got this retarded quivering lip thing happening.

Anyway, that's off the point. Seeing as for some reason on the uncensored internet where you can stumble across things ten thousands more times offensive than a four letter word, we have the word filter, I propose we have a filter for identifying those that routinely misspell 'definitely'.

That is all.

;)

:o if it's sold as "Shreddies", but they've altered the make up of the brand it's "improved", if they've made something "new" then it's "New". It, by logical progression, cannot be "New" and "Improved"

It's one or the other.

Yes it can.

New product: Shreddies with coating. There's been nothing like it before. There have been similar things (Shreddies) but not quite like this. It is new.

Improved product: Original with something added. Shreddies + coating. Shreddies have been improved.

The product has been improved to make a new product. It is improved and new. It is new and improved.

Speaking of pedantic grammar, I was at a Battle of the Bands in Bedlington's Red Lion last night. The blackboard advertising the event was a joy. Not only did they forget to put the 's' on Band (so it seemed to be a singular band's battle, but then when they had corrected it (with a tiny 's' stuck on the end) they had added an apostrophe.

If we're naming names, can I report Wacky Jnr for persistent their/they're abuse. It goes way beyond the more common their/there misdemeanour.

Go and lick yourself out you sad fuck. Their i hope that helps.

Can't believe they're's actually a thread on it tbh

There, there!

:o

Was 'psycophant' a deliberate mis-spelling in another thread btw Mancy? I like it whether it was or not tbh.

I think that might have been down to the drink tbh. :o

Yes it can.

New product: Shreddies with coating. There's been nothing like it before. There have been similar things (Shreddies) but not quite like this. It is new.

Improved product: Original with something added. Shreddies + coating. Shreddies have been improved.

The product has been improved to make a new product. It is improved and new. It is new and improved.

You've actually argued my point, but come to a polar position. :o

If you improve it so that it's a new product, it's new

if you improve it so it's a "better" version of the original product, it's "improved"

They're mutual exclusive.

New shape VW Golf, it's a new car and (in theory at least) it has also improved on the previous model.

But then it's an improvement on an existing model. it's the same "product" but it's been rebranded/remodeled/redesigned.

the Lupo is a "New" car because it's not an improvement on an existing model.

If something is new, what's it improving on?

Yes it can.

You've actually argued my point, but come to a polar position. :o

If you improve it so that it's a new product, it's new

if you improve it so it's a "better" version of the original product, it's "improved"

They're mutual exclusive.

You've just said that it's a new product because it has been improved. Surely that means it's new and improved.

I'll agree that it's new. But you've also said that it's improved. New and improved.

The two can live side by side in perfect harmony.

New shape VW Golf, it's a new car and (in theory at least) it has also improved on the previous model.

But then it's an improvement on an existing model. it's the same "product" but it's been rebranded/remodeled/redesigned.

the Lupo is a "New" car because it's not an improvement on an existing model.

If something is new, what's it improving on?

Making it 'new' by one of the definitions of the word. Also, the Lupo would have been influenced by previous cars and had improvements (you would hope) on those previous cars. Something can be 'new' and improved. Something that has never existed before can also be 'new', that's just a slightly different meaning to the word. I take your point about finding it annoying when it comes to washing powder etc., but I just don't think the terms are mutually exclusive in every case.

Making it 'new' by one of the definitions of the word. Also, the Lupo would have been influenced by previous cars and had improvements (you would hope) on those previous cars. Something can be 'new' and improved. Something that has never existed before can also be 'new', that's just a slightly different meaning to the word. I take your point about finding it annoying when it comes to washing powder etc., but I just don't think the terms are mutually exclusive in every case.

I knew you were only arguing with me for arguments sake. :o

Perhaps I'm more of a pedant... but it's those adverts that genuinely annoy me enough to warrant a torrent abuse towards the tv