Newcastle United Vs Arsenal official match thread

Jimbo

Roeder was once again treat to a lesson in the fact Parker and Butt don't work together in the middle at St. James and that we are always better with a different pairing. Butt, Emre and Millner all played well and worked hard.

I know that my criticism isn't unbiased (and maybe ott), but what does Emre actually offer to the game in midfield? I thought some of his lunatic runs at players who where in possession were just bizarre. And he is offering next to no creativity from open play - not to mention his set pieces...

I thought it was overall a very ordinary performance with some better spells against a Arsenal side that looked very average, too.

Emre held our midfield togeather, when he went kind of up front when Zog came on for Dyer and went into central midfield we were fucking shite, Arsenal were all over us and had the run of the midfield until Roeder changed Emre and Zog round, if he hadn't have done that we would have lost today.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roeder was once again treat to a lesson in the fact Parker and Butt don't work together in the middle at St. James and that we are always better with a different pairing. Butt, Emre and Millner all played well and worked hard.

I know that my criticism isn't unbiased (and maybe ott), but what does Emre actually offer to the game in midfield? I thought some of his lunatic runs at players who where in possession were just bizarre. And he is offering next to no creativity from open play - not to mention his set pieces...

I thought it was overall a very ordinary performance with some better spells against a Arsenal side that looked very average, too.

Emre held our midfield togeather, when he went kind of up front when Zog came on for Dyer and went into central midfield we were fucking shite, Arsenal were all over us and had the run of the midfield until Roeder changed Emre and Zog round, if he hadn't have done that we would have lost today.

I think to say that he held our midfield together is stretching it a bit too far. I agree that there was a short moment of confusion and lack of order after N'Zogbia came on. If at all then it was Butt who held our midfield together and was challenging for the ball about 1000 times. But I am not so much about Emre's defensive work, which is sort of ok, but rather his positive play. I stand by my point that he offers fat too little to our attacking game for a player of his alleged "talent". His distribution from passes and set pieces to our front men is just awful. He also doesn't seem to like opponents in one on ones by skill but by rather running them over. He did it a couple of times...

If we had been slaughtered 3-0 i think you can level the 'never wear a shirt again/diatribe at certain players but i think u shud bear in mind last game out arsenal fukn murdered west ham for 89 and should have won 6-1(not a testimony of qualitybut i think generally thet ain't a mid table team without henry cos they haven't had him for most of the season and they ain't mid-tale).

I'm not sayin it was the greatest game but if you SAW the match u could surely see that Emre and Butt had good games - Emre created plenty and hassled the oppo when not in possession.

Gooch may not be a world beater but he is new to the league and i rekn he is robust, good in the air just not sure if he is a bit error prone.

We controlled substantial parts of the game but the fact the ball was not bein held up in forward areas meant breakdown of the forward momentum nearly every time and martins gettin more and more pissed off - sibierski would have made a difference.

Dyer was not great and i think something is going on therei.e. he wants to leave-but why bring zog on to make a five man midfield when we were already on top in in the centre seems crazy and they had the upper hand after that

Arsenal just werent interested, seem to be playing their matches as if they are pre season friendlys or something, i guess it's apathy on the part that they arent competing for anything really

if we'd up'ed our game yesterday we could have beaten them easily