Romario scores his 1000th goal

Jimbo

The former Brazilian striker Romario scored what he says is the 1,000th goal of his career in a match in Rio de Janeiro on Sunday.

The only other player to have secured this record is Brazilian legend Pele.

But the 41-year-old admits his tally includes goals scored in youth, friendly and testimonial games.

Romario's 1,000th goal came from a penalty kick in the game between Vasco da Gama and Sport of Recife in the Brazilian national championship.

The fact that it was a penalty did not diminish the joy of his team-mates and the player was immediately mobbed.

Surrounded by television crews, Romario dedicated the goal to his family and children and said it marked an extraordinary moment in his life.

His wife and children were among those who came onto the pitch and it took 16 minutes before the game could be restarted.

Despite the hype, there is controversy surrounding the achievement as Romario's tally is not recognised by football's international governing body, Fifa, which says it only counts goals scored in official tournaments.

However, given his long and highly successful career, there will be few who begrudge the player his night of glory.

The former Brazilian striker Romario scored what he says is the 1,000th goal of his career in a match in Rio de Janeiro on Sunday.

The only other player to have secured this record is Brazilian legend Pele.

But the 41-year-old admits his tally includes goals scored in youth, friendly and testimonial games.

Romario's 1,000th goal came from a penalty kick in the game between Vasco da Gama and Sport of Recife in the Brazilian national championship.

The fact that it was a penalty did not diminish the joy of his team-mates and the player was immediately mobbed.

Surrounded by television crews, Romario dedicated the goal to his family and children and said it marked an extraordinary moment in his life.

His wife and children were among those who came onto the pitch and it took 16 minutes before the game could be restarted.

Despite the hype, there is controversy surrounding the achievement as Romario's tally is not recognised by football's international governing body, Fifa, which says it only counts goals scored in official tournaments.

However, given his long and highly successful career, there will be few who begrudge the player his night of glory.

Easier when you play a large portion of your games in pooper leagues though... <_<

The leagues he's played in are no worse than several of the ones in which Pele played.

It's all Bullshit, but having met the man, it's just incredible. He doesn't look like a superstar.

Guest alex

The leagues he's played in are no worse than several of the ones in which Pele played.

It's all Bullshit, but having met the man, it's just incredible. He doesn't look like a superstar.

Erm...ok <_<

Guest alex

By my reckoning I'll score my 1,000th tonight. The press have been informed.

Counting own goals is taking it too far.

Guest alex

I've seen you play Kojak, glass houses and all that.

I'm not the one making the outrageous claims tubbs.

I'm going on Romario's logic Dekka.

talking of sporting feats, heard about that woman in California who's dropped 14 Hole in Ones in the few months since taking up the "sport"?

Clicky

Guest alex

I'm going on Romario's logic Dekka.

:D I'll fucking Dekka ya.

Guest alex

talking of sporting feats, heard about that woman in California who's dropped 14 Hole in Ones in the few months since taking up the "sport"?

Clicky

Euphemism?

she's started taking two pairs of trousers on the course with her.

in case she gets another hole in one !

:D

:D